Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Altering Dexterity Properties for a Kit

ReddbaneReddbane Member Posts: 151
Does anyone know if there is a way to mod, or fudge the game using effects codes, so that Dexterity works differently for an individual Kit, say instead of providing a separate bonus to armor class it merely lowers the Base Armor class? So that a Kensai, as per 1e PnP, with 18 Dex would get a Base Armor class of 5 (ie 23-18), rather than having a base armor class of 10 with a +4 dex bonus, and an additional +2 class bonus, as this would prevent Kensais from breaking the game with Base AC lowering spells and items?

@subtledoctor
I know you've worked no small miracles in modding ability score benefits for Scales of Balance.

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 736
    edited May 2016
    Not @subtledoctor, but I've looked into things that have similar applications to this.

Basically, it isn't possible to tell the engine to not apply the bonuses listed on DEXMOD.2da to a character. However, it is possible to have the EEv2.0 engine apply an effect once per round that can be determined by the Dexterity score of the character.

So you'd have to code an effect that "neutralizes" the AC bonus and then an additional effect that applies an appropriate base AC effect.

Or, because you're trying to fix the fact that Kensai armor bonuses stack (actual bonuses) stack with Bracers of AC (base armor), you could just change Kensai's armor bonus to a base armor bonus. I've done something similar to that for my monk mod (Monastic Orders of Faerun). This is much, much less difficult to set-up than the above method.
    AstroBryGuy
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 792
    Would it be enough to just make them immune to Base AC bonuses entirely?
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 7,550
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, @Aquadruzzt is ahead of me here, my stuff in SoB is pretty limited, one-time-adjustment stuff meant specifically and only to affect the player's initial stat distribution during character generation.

Aquadrizzt has used the new opcode 326 to maker forces that actually react to changing stats in-game.

The old way to do that was to use scripts, and make the script run every few seconds. This method was not only hideously inefficient, it was also prone to outright failure.

The new way, with the EE2.0+ opcode 326, checks whether a stat is equal to or above a certain value, and then casts a spell if it is. Properly coded, it works like a aura, casting a spell every six seconds to keep the bonus going indefinitely.

Now, because the opcode only checks for DEX>=15, and DEX>=16, etc., you need to make a separate instance of the effect for each stat score, from 15 up to 25 (or whatever scores you want to use). And you must give a small incremental bonus for each increase in the score, and the cumulative effect of all those bonuses adds up to the total bonus value you want to implement. So in this example, if a character gets 25 DEX, there will be 10 spells being cast every 6 seconds, in addition to whatever else is happening in the game.

That's more or less fine, if this is being applied to a single kit and thus you expect it to only affect a single party member, for a single stat. But if a mod tries to create more comprehensive changes for all stats, or if a player installs several kids that do this sort of thing, it could be happening to every party member, for every stat, every round. So potentially something like (10x6x6) 360 spells being cast in the background, every few seconds.

So, still hideously inefficient. maybe modern PCs and the EE engine can handle it. Maybe iPads can. But I'm guessing it would big things down. I don't have enough spare time to properly test.
  • ReddbaneReddbane Member Posts: 151
    What if the adjustment was only based on Dex at the first level (per PnP Kensai) would I be able code something less wonky?
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 7,550
    Definitely. You would need to:
    - Clear out the AC bonuses from the existing Kensai clab table.
    - Add one spell to the clab table, which uses a bunch of 326 effects (one for each stat score you want to give a bonus for... if it was me I would save some effort by starting at 13, and setting 12 as the minimum DEX for the kit (figure anyone with crappy DEX flunks out if Kensai school before level 1)), and then a final effect using opcode 206 granting protection from itself. Importantly, the effects should be in order of increasing stat score, from low (13) to high (25). To be safe, you could use "delay/permanent" timing with increasing delays to make sure the highest score effect goes last... but this would break on pre-generated characters, which I hesitate to even mention because people around here will curse you out if you suggest that the pre-generate process has bugs.
    - Make a separate spell for each DEX value, setting base AC to a different number. These spells will be called by the opcode 336 effects in the base kit spell. These should all be no dispel/bypass resistance, with instant/permanent timing.
    - Be ready for complaints from players who will say stuff like "I put on the Gauntlets of Dexterity and my AC didn't change, what gives??" even though your readme states that such changes.

Btw none of that will cancel out the dexterity-based bonuses to AC in dexmod.2da, and AFAIK there's no way to make your kit immune to those bonuses. So you should code the spells above to take the normal DEX bonuses into account. (And realize that if a player uses a modded version of dexmod.2da, it will slightly mess up your kit.)
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 736

Btw none of that will cancel out the dexterity-based bonuses to AC in dexmod.2da, and AFAIK there's no way to make your kit immune to those bonuses. So you should code the spells above to take the normal DEX bonuses into account. (And realize that if a player uses a modded version of dexmod.2da, it will slightly mess up your kit.)

I mean, you could have it read the DEXMOD.2da at the time of install and scale effects appropriately. Probably more of a headache than its worth, but it is possible...