Skip to content

My thoughts on the game, having just finished

2»

Comments

• JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    I hope they can somehow improve the current engine for 5e or make or adapt something similar. I really don't want the combat to change. PoE had a boring combat for a successor. NWNs had terrible combat as well if IIRC.
  • LegendaryLegendary Member Posts: 53

@rapsam2003
    I wasn't being serious. The last thing I want is for Minsc or Neera to show up in the next game. I just meant anything can happen in the Forgotten Realms...

Though I doubt I'd play a Baldur's Gate game in a new engine, because I just can't get *into* the new RPG games. I tried Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, and Sword Coast Legends and found them all to be boring.

Sword Coast Legends just wasn't good D&D. People expected a good 5E experience and it's not in any D&D set rules, it's just kind of a generic dungeon crawler. Which I thought it did fairly well but it wasn't what it was advertised as, that's why it failed so hard
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    Legendary said:

Sword Coast Legends just wasn't good D&D. People expected a good 5E experience and it's not in any D&D set rules, it's just kind of a generic dungeon crawler. Which I thought it did fairly well but it wasn't what it was advertised as, that's why it failed so hard

It didn't help that, instead of adhering to the D&D 5E ruleset, it took that ruleset, shat on it, and then used it as inspiration for a Diablo2 style builds. Their idea of "class Archetype" implementations was such that you could pick any ability in any of the Archetypes (if you met the prereq's), meaning you technically could have 2 or more class Archetypes on 1 character. In P&P, picking 1 class Archetype locks you out of the others. Also, items with ability points that stack: the whole deal in 5E is that it's not about getting to 30 Strength or whatever. Not so in SCL; you can be OP all day, every day if you have enough gold.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    5th edition Archetypes are supposed to be pretty much equivalent to kits.