Skip to content

Talk to the animals - SPOILER

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
If you click on a chicken enough times it will eventually stop clucking and say: "There ain't nobody here but us chickens." And I'm sure I once read that if you click on a certain bear enough times it will say something along the lines of: "It's a lovely day for a picnic Boo Boo" (a reference to Yogi Bear's sidekick not Minsc's better half). So can anyone confirm this because I have clicked on a lot of bears and I am yet to find one that talks.

Comments

• cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    You can pickpocket that chicken?! I wonder what it thinks you are doing, pickpocketing is supposed to be a stealth activity, where the victim isn't aware of your action.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Just means the gem is actually in its inventory, so you should be able to get it by killing the chicken as well... always did the honourable thing and paid the farmer there, so never knew.

@Permidion_Stark The chicken line may be somewhat confirmed. A line in VELVET.DLG is "Heh! Nobody here but us chickens, friend." It's supposed to take place at the Nashkel carnival, but appears to be unused material.. no idea if the chicken is actually there in the vanilla game.

As for the bear, can't seem to find any references to those phrases in the files.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Thanks @Shin

The chicken line of dialogue is implemented because I have managed to initiate that. It was a long time ago but I think I had to click on the chicken about 20 times. I can't remember if it was at the carnival though.

It's a shame about the bear. That means I have wasted an awful lot of time looking for something that doesn't exist. Maybe I should put in a feature request for it ...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Maybe it is BG1 only? If you are playing in Tutu those additional lines got dropped.
    edited October 2012
    @decado I searched the dlg files for unmodded BG1. It's still possible that I missed it of course, but searches for picnic, pic nic, boo boo, boo-boo, lovely day etc didn't find anything like that.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    This thread reminded me of this. (Language is Colorful, be warned)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqtThUAvAM
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Miloch said:

Chickens have that SELECT_RARE sound in their .cre files - string 11741 "[Chicken Cluck5] There ain't nobody here but us chickens." Bears have string 5141 "[BEAR, BLACK 02] Hey, BooBoo. That's a nice pickinick basket." NPCs also have these SELECT_RARE strings, for example on Khalid: "[KHALID 23] If at first I don't succeed, the wife won't let me forget." They actually have several of these, for example one of Quayle's is: "[QUAYLE 25] Feel my amazing brain! Go on, touch it!"

These all work in the BG1 engine. SELECT_RARE sounds do not work in the BG2 engine (i.e. in Tutu, BGT etc.). Not sure if it's something fixed in ToBEx or BGEE - maybe @Ascension64 would know.

So it's not a myth? Excellent. Can't wait to play again so I can find me a bear to talk to.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Big surprise, more things that Tutu broke. I'm so shocked.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Did anyone report it in the 'Bugs' section? I'd rather it worked in BG:EE.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    ARKdeEREH said:

I don't think I've ever encountered that, but on a related note, if you pickpocket a chicken in the Umar Hills you get a rare gem that it swallowed (so I guess pickpocketing entails reaching your hand down it's throat).

what makes you think the had is going DOWN the throat????? I think you are on the wrong end!

• swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Miloch said:

SELECT_RARE sounds do not work in the BG2 engine (i.e. in Tutu, BGT etc.). Not sure if it's something fixed in ToBEx or BGEE - maybe @Ascension64 would know.

In a recent Tutu playthrough I at least encountered Khalid's line. Perhaps ToBEx did the trick.

• PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Miloch said:

Chickens have that SELECT_RARE sound in their .cre files - string 11741 "[Chicken Cluck5] There ain't nobody here but us chickens." Bears have string 5141 "[BEAR, BLACK 02] Hey, BooBoo. That's a nice pickinick basket." NPCs also have these SELECT_RARE strings, for example on Khalid: "[KHALID 23] If at first I don't succeed, the wife won't let me forget." They actually have several of these, for example one of Quayle's is: "[QUAYLE 25] Feel my amazing brain! Go on, touch it!"

These all work in the BG1 engine. SELECT_RARE sounds do not work in the BG2 engine (i.e. in Tutu, BGT etc.). Not sure if it's something fixed in ToBEx or BGEE - maybe @Ascension64 would know.

Here's a fun fact. While I was playing pure BG1 there were no such lines as Khalid saying "If at first I don't succeed, the wife won't let me forget" or Quayle's "Feel my amazing brain! Go on, touch it!". But now when I play BGT these lines really do appear, and they are not so rare! Every joinable NPC has something inyteresting to say, don't know what about animals. My point is that it happened in BGT, so yes, on a BG2 engine. More interestingly, I have a polish language version of the game, these lines are dubbed as well. So much fun ;]

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    jpierce55 said:

ARKdeEREH said:

I don't think I've ever encountered that, but on a related note, if you pickpocket a chicken in the Umar Hills you get a rare gem that it swallowed (so I guess pickpocketing entails reaching your hand down it's throat).

what makes you think the had is going DOWN the throat????? I think you are on the wrong end!

Well, chickens have a reputation for eating everything. I suppose it's theoretically possible that the chicken somehow got it stuck to its feathers, but the scenario that seems the most likely is that the chicken swallowed it.
    Przemkas said:

Here's a fun fact. While I was playing pure BG1 there were no such lines as Khalid saying "If at first I don't succeed, the wife won't let me forget" or Quayle's "Feel my amazing brain! Go on, touch it!". But now when I play BGT these lines really do appear, and they are not so rare! Every joinable NPC has something inyteresting to say, don't know what about animals. My point is that it happened in BGT, so yes, on a BG2 engine. More interestingly, I have a polish language version of the game, these lines are dubbed as well. So much fun ;]

I think the rare lines are included in the regular command confirmation lines in BGT, as indeed they aren't rare at all there.. I found if you tell a character to move 3-4 times one of them will usually play.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    ARKdeEREH said:

jpierce55 said:

ARKdeEREH said:

Well, chickens have a reputation for eating everything. I suppose it's theoretically possible that the chicken somehow got it stuck to its feathers, but the scenario that seems the most likely is that the chicken swallowed it.
    He was talking about sticking your hand up the chickens butt.

And cows say moo, then mooooooo, then moo, and rarely, "Ouch. I mean moooo." I just confirmed this thirty seconds ago lol.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Syntia13 said:

Did anyone report it in the 'Bugs' section? I'd rather it worked in BG:EE.

They seem to be working on it. If it worked in BGT or Tutu, it's either because they reshuffled sound clips to get the RARE ones to fire, or is a result of ToBEx. Was a common issue reported with Tutu for many years though.