Skip to content

[bg2 spoiler] Encounter with Eldoth in bg2 and what he had to say about skie..

I

Is this conversation part of the vanilla bg2? Kinda odd especially after I played siege of dragonspear :/

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2016
    red_codec said:

Is this conversation part of the vanilla bg2?

Nope. Eldoth doesn't make an appearance.
  • red_codecred_codec Member Posts: 44
    elminster said:

red_codec said:

Is this conversation part of the vanilla bg2?

Nope. Eldoth doesn't make an appearance.
    Ah its from a mod then. That explains the inconsistency, thank you!
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Was gonna say...I don't remember Eldoth ever appearing in my game...
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    It is the Eldoth encounter introduced by the Romantic Encounters mod.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Poor dear Skie was robbed of her soul
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Hmm, you got my hopes up there...wouldn't mind seeing Eldoth in BG2EE as a playable character, especially now he's Skie-free.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    I agree with @Dharius. Eldoth could make a great comeback as a companion!
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Dharius said:

Hmm, you got my hopes up there...wouldn't mind seeing Eldoth in BG2EE as a playable character, especially now he's Skie-free.

I would. He was annoying. All the bards in BG1 were annoying.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited May 2016
    I'm very keen on mysogynists...it's more reflective of the general population than most of the NPCs :)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I would. He was annoying. All the bards in BG1 were annoying.

He was a bad caricature of Oscar Wilde. So, Lord Henry from Dorian Gray, except not funny.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Eldoth is nothing but an "abusive boyfriend". He is a poor representation of males and should be "expanded upon" to fix this.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    I never took Eldoth in any of my playthroughs (obvious sleazebag) and so I never did the whole rescue quest.

And so this thread is yet another reminder that I had been incorrectly pronouncing "Skie" as "Sky" for 17 years before SoD came out and my brain still refuses to call her "Ski" even though that was her canon pronunciation all along.

I know it doesn't really work phonetically, but it should be "Sky," damn it.

@Rawgrim Nevermind, I thought the forums had an "eye roll" emoji.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    @Purudaya you are not the only Sky person out there. That is the correct way to pronounce that name since 1999 for me
    I thought it was pronounced "Skee".
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    edited May 2016
    That's how you pronounce it:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rL4iiVquJ-4&feature=youtu.be&t=99

And that's Sky:
    imagebam.com

And that's Skie:

Not the same person and not the same name, come on you anglosaxons, you can pronounce it correctly! ;)

That's how you pronounce it:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rL4iiVquJ-4&feature=youtu.be&t=99

And that's Sky:
    imagebam.com

And that's Skie:

Not the same person and not the same name, come on you anglosaxons, you can pronounce it correctly! ;)

Proper strength spell.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    For me, the fact that Eldoth was a complete asshole was part of his charm. He'd probably be a great guy to have around during a night on the town. Besides, he'd probably know the sleaziest places to visit. ;)

For me, the fact that Eldoth was a complete asshole was part of his charm. He'd probably be a great guy to have around during a night on the town. Besides, he'd probably know the sleaziest places to visit. ;)

True that. A terrible person can still be a great character. Plus he is absolutely one that would fit perfectly into a villainous party.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2016
    If they could flesh out Safana, chances are they could do the same with Eldoth if they so wanted to. And yeah I don't think a sexist sleaze is exempt from potentially good writing either.

Biggest problem with the old npcs would be to track down all the old Voice actors.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    I always thought Eldoth would have been a good recurring villain in BG2. Better than the nonsensical Safana and Coran cameo. He seems like Saemon Havarian's predecessor.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I dunno, as soon as I heard "Only shallow people don't judge by appearance" I started making the Oscar Wilde comparisons, and seriously, Eldoth's nowhere near that funny or charismatic. Dorian Gray is worth reading entirely for Lord Henry's self-aware vapid snark, but Eldoth just doesn't have the same star quality to him.