Skip to content

November 30th? BG1's 14th anniversary

_N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
This is a bit of speculation, but BG: EE's new release date coincides with the release date of the original Baldur's Gate in 1998. Hm, maybe something special is in store? The new release date did seem bit random.

Comments

• cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    14th anniversary is just such a random number to celebrate. By that I mean It's not even. I'm 90% sure they don't plan anything spectacular besides what is already promised and 99% sure they are not planning to celebrate the anniversary with something extra.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    B-but 14 *is* an even number :o
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    Fourteen is the sum of the first three squares, which makes it a square pyramidal number.
    Random wikipedia facts ftw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_(number) :D

But no I don't think they're planning anything special, though it would be a nice surprise if they will!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There's basically reason for delaying game for two and half months, I think. Bugfixes + hitting on anniversary. For some people, it's good, for some not.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    That's something I didn't know... nice.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Cheesebelly I think you all might be onto something. If you type in the current year of release 2012 for a string ref search... you get "Diviner"!!!!!
    @Cuv : Dear lord... that can't be a coincidence... and... 2012, bar off the 0... 2 + 12 = 14 O_O
  • hfmhfm Member Posts: 8
    The Anniversary of BG1 is actually Dec 24th 1998.. I remember it was available in stores that day as I RAN to EB to pick it up so I could play it over the holiday.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    No hfm, it was November 30, 1998 when it was first released. It just took that long to get to stores in your area. It was in my town long before my birthday(December 17)
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    i like it, after all i was 14 when i first played baldur's gate
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    hfm said:

The Anniversary of BG1 is actually Dec 24th 1998.. I remember it was available in stores that day as I RAN to EB to pick it up so I could play it over the holiday.

I'm not certain of what the release date actually was. There seems to be some confusion over it. Perhaps it depends on the country.

The following sites all say November 30th.
    GameFAQs

Wikipedia

How Long To Beat

Game Rate

Metacritic

As well as several other sites.

However, IGN and GameSpy both say December 24th (which would probably be considered the official sources, given that they install with the game).

Tales of the Sword Coast also has a similar issue. Some sites say April 30, 1999, while other are saying May 11, 1999.

Interesting.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the date was when I drove to the store to pick up my copy. If I recall correctly, it was a different date than the North American release date.
    BioWare made a short article for the 10th anniversary - it was the 30th of November 2008 back then. However, the little article disappeared with their old forums, a shame really :/
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    cyberhawk said:

14th anniversary is just such a random number to celebrate. By that I mean It's not even. I'm 90% sure they don't plan anything spectacular besides what is already promised and 99% sure they are not planning to celebrate the anniversary with something extra.

True, but it still gives us something interesting and hopeful to think about while we're waiting.. Who knows maybe this thread will give the Devs some ideas!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    The release date Nov 30...if you swap the 2 digits between 30 and add 11, you get 14. Something about 14 is special...
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350

ehm... Yeah, true, I mean it's not 15. Anniversaries are more important when they end on 0 or 5, that's what I meant. Sorry for wording it wrong.
    @cyberhawk : I thought as much, and I agree, as that is indeed the case with such games that got plenty of fans.
    Which reminds me, when is Command & Conquer 20th Anniversary? I am expecting Red Alert 2 for free XD
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    cyberhawk said:

ehm... Yeah, true, I mean it's not 15. Anniversaries are more important when they end on 0 or 5, that's what I meant. Sorry for wording it wrong.
    15 is more special.

Maybe we should ask Beamdog to delay it by a year? :D

Like that, BG2EE can also come out on it's 15th anniversary!
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2012
    I have played Baldur's Gate for 14 hours a day, every day of my life, since its release. It *is* a special number. On a side note, I'm partially blind and unmarried.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    @HaHaCharade better not announce that man, otherwise everyone on this forum will know they have +100 to stealth against you
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I didn't reach that much as @HaHaCharade (what of course is an exageration), but i probally played BG II more than 150 playthroughs in reason of SoA start to end (100+ with absolute sure), i have BG II since 2000 year and until 2001 i hadn't internet in my PC , i got it as a present in Christmas and i didn't had much other options of game in that time besides my N64 and 3 games: Mario kart, Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark, i brought Ogre Battle latter, but until then BG II ruled my life.

I get ToB and BG+TotSC later, and i didn't even know that mods exist until 2006/7 (more or less), discover the mods was like discover fire, or wheel.