Skip to content

Will Obsidian's Project Eternity cause BG-EE/BG2-EE sales be failed ?

darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

As we can see , The pledge almost reach $4M and will come around 2014.Apr,

All of RPG fans can't find out the 2D view of fantastic game which has big content and excellent storyline in these year , lots of game only focused on Graphic Tech and forgot how to touch gamer's heart

Now , it seems Project Eternity will achieve the dream which all of us desire

New Tech , Art , Design , Storyline , etc ..

Will it impact your love for BG series ?
  1. Will Obsidian's Project Eternity cause BG-EE/BG2-EE sales be failed ?103 votes
    1. BG is ever greatest RPG game in the world , no one can catch up it
      27.18%
    2. Even i love BG series , but i still keep seeking the next classic RPG game
      27.18%
    3. If BG-EE / BG2-EE is not really enhanced enough , i will leave it when new game is coming
        6.80%
    4. Both of the game i will play first and judge which one is the best PRG game
      27.18%
    5. No Way , i will spend my money in new content , not remaster....
        0.97%
    6. Overhaul , Please do a excellent job , don't let us down... I hope BG series is the classic RPG game forever
      10.68%

Comments

• MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    I guess I am in the same boat as Shandyr. I don't think that it even needs to be a compition. BG basically was one of the games that brought back the genre, and even if Project Eternity is a huge hit, that isn't going to diminish BG in my eyes. And BG:EE for that matter.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Tanthalas said:

Why would it cause BGEE's sales to fail when Project Eternity will only be released in 2014?

After work , most of us don't have much time , if the project eternity is really excellent , i think there are many gamers and Mod maerks will share their emotion to new game , and cause BG series lose some sales in the near future , i don't know what the actual situation is , just ideas
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012
    I'm with Thantalas. I don't see any reason for a drop in sales just because of project eternity. Now if obsidian were doing their own version of bg1EE or bg2EE THEN i could see an issue with competing sales, but since it's going to be something brand new, there is absitively, posilutely no reason for competition with BGEE sales.

If anything both combined may spark more interest with other game companies to make more(we can hope) old school games. Games that were actually fun to play with good stories rather than the glitzy crap that comes out these days.
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    It comes out in 2014, even if there is no delay, I do not think you can label it as a competition, when there is a year and a half difference...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    LOL, project eternity will probally take aeons to be launched, why would that harm BG/BG II EE versions?
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Don't really understand the poll options but I'll definitely buy BGEE and BG2EE and probably Project Eternity as well, when it gets released and depending on how good it seems.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    As everybody mentioned, it´s not competition.
    First of all, the game comes out year and a half, while BG:EE comes out month and a half from now, with BG2:EE within maybe a half year.
    Then, same people will most likely play both of these games, because like 75% of the PE backers comes from BG/IWD/PS:T, so they actually will push each other.
    Also, it isn´t accurate to compare them, as there is 15 years between them(if it comes out 2014). Even though it may have interesting stories to tell, will be visually better, BG is still the game that started it and it´s own stories/characters/art won´t be surpassed.
    The only potential competition may be in future Overhaul projects, possible BG3 or something. But as mentioned, both games will be played by the mostly same people. It isn´t like competition among dozens and dozens of totally same FPS games coming out every year and many young players are spitting on each other´s favourite franchise and don´t even know why.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    This is all just release-date-delay cabin fever, isn't it? I mean no sane person would be having this discussion...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I heard a rumor that George Lucas came up with the plot for Episode I while waiting for Baldur's Gate to come out.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Aosaw said:

I heard a rumor that George Lucas came up with the plot for Episode I while waiting for Baldur's Gate to come out.

Exactly, and that whole second trilogy was crazy because IT WAS IN DIRECT COMPETITION with all his earlier work.
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    I chose this reluctantly because I don't care which game is better. I'll play and enjoy both. But let's hope that Project Eternity is even better then BG is. It's a hard game to top - if it is topped, an even higher bar will be set for similar games.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I think it's good for everyone there's a revival in this kind of RPG. Hopefully both projects will benefit from each other by raising interest in isometric RPGs.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    If anything, Project Eternity is drawing attention towards these old IE games and that is good marketing for BG:EE.
  • NightfallRobNightfallRob Member Posts: 43
    Tanthalas said:

Why would it cause BGEE's sales to fail when Project Eternity will only be released in 2014?

This. Your poll lacks validity.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    arguments like this pop up all the time. Look at the Diablo 3 vs. Torchlight 2 debate. With Diablo 3 out, Torchlight 2 would never make any money and be a total failure. I'm pretty sure the people at Runic games are doing just fine.

If you are a fan of a particular genre, more games in that style are always a good thing no matter where they are coming from.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    Project Eternity release is not until 2014 and won't hamper BG:EE at all. I will buy Project Eternity when it comes out for sure but my heart lies with Baldur's Gate regardless. More competition is good for the scene, especially cause there wasn't much of a scene in the first place.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Uh.

Guys. Project Eternity has already cut into the sales of BG:EE as much as they're gonna. Anyone that donated money to it is going to get a copy of the game, and therefore if they were going to get it instead of BG:EE they've already voted with their money.

It's ALREADY sold $4mil. Kind of crazy. Essentially kickstarter is the ultimate pre-order.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    Well ... I don't really see a competition here either. However, I am still more fired up about PE than BG:EE - mainly because I see BG:EE as an "Addon", not a full game - which is fine, considering that BG:EE costs LESS than your usual addon.
    In the end, I will suck up everything I can get in terms of classical RPG. To me, there's no competition here other than who gets my money first (which will be BG:EE as PE might takes years to be completed anyway).

All I can say is that I love the idea of kickstarter financing. I think ExtraCreditz summed in up pretty well why:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ljzAi5DuA

I'm still biased about Project Eternity, as there is a lot being discussed and I like the general idea behind it, but to me it still lacks a destinct profile. It looks kinda like a "lets mix all good ideas of cRPGs especially BG together with some MMO crap such as crafting, enchanting, etc."
    ... I never liked the stretch goals of PE. I'd rather see the stretch goals be something like make the game larger, invest more money into bugfixing, pulishing, putting more life into the characters, etc.

And I would really love to have a concept image of how the UI and playing feel will look like. I can see why they wont present screenshots yet (because they just started), but why not at least share some of the concepts for the people interested?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I for one haven't even given Project Eternity that much attention. I don't think it will be direct competition either. Both PE and BG are unique in their own right. It seems that most people here will buy both games anyway. :)
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Short answer: "No".
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Most likely the games will benefit each other because it'll revive the genre. When people discuss about PE they'll mention old games like Baldur's Gate which naturally leads to BG:EE and vice versa.
  • TimidSageTimidSage Member Posts: 2
    Vonbek777 said:

irregardless

that is all

• SargielSargiel Member Posts: 35
    I don't think they impact at all. I love BG/BG2 and have pre-ordered BG:EE. I also loved Planescape and can't wait to see how Obsidian do with Project Eternity so spent a bundle on kickstarter for that too. They're not mutually exclusive things...
  • NietsewitchNietsewitch Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    I played Baldurs Gate years ago.

As i saw they make a remake i said to myself: "Heck it was a good game. But why should i buy it?"

After i pledged for Projekt Eternity i said to myself: "Heck i cant wait for that game. So what do i play next? Why not that ... BGEE!"

So i bought it.

:)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited October 2012

Uh.

Guys. Project Eternity has already cut into the sales of BG:EE as much as they're gonna. Anyone that donated money to it is going to get a copy of the game, and therefore if they were going to get it instead of BG:EE they've already voted with their money.

I disagree - the two are so far apart in terms of release dates that no one would see them in direct competition. You might as well say that Amnesia took sales away from Resident Evil 6; unless you only buy one game every two years, I imagine most players will support both.
  • AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2012
    I agree that BG:EE and PE do and will continue to benefit from one another rather than compete. I pledged for PE after BG:EE had reignited my passion for this kind of game.

On another note: Even though I pledged for PE pretty much right away, I have my doubt whether PE will become the game I hope for. This is mainly because of some very bad ideas concerning PE's gameplay people are throwing around in the official PE forum. There seem to be a lot of people who missed the point that PE is supposed to tread in the footsteps of BG, P:T and ID and keep requesting mechanics from other games and I fear the developers might give way to that pressure and modify their original vision.
    Post edited by Ashendil on