Skip to content

Will Obsidian's Project Eternity cause BG-EE/BG2-EE sales be failed ?

2»

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Ashendil said:

On another note: Even though I pledged for PE pretty much right away, I have my doubt whether PE will become the game I hope for. This is mainly because of some very bad ideas concerning PE's gameplay people are throwing around in the official PE forum. There seem to be a lot of people who missed the point that PE is supposed to tread in the footsteps of BG, P:T and ID and keep requesting mechanics from other games and I fear the developers might give way to that pressure and modify their original vision.

Were it any other developer or creative team, I might share those concerns. But this is Obsidian, and it's Chris Avellone and Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer. They know what they're doing. :)
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    I just got finished reading about project eternity and frankly it sounds like the fantasy game that fans, including me, have been waiting for ages to come. I agree that games of today are sacrificing the value of good story just to give people better graphics which is frankly the main reason I still play these kinds of games today. Still I never judge anythng right away until I get other peoples opinion on it first so I will have to wait for a while until that time. Baldur's Gate quite frankly has been a big inspiration for me throughout my dnd career. With my other players and me as the dm I like to play fantasy music that sound cool and allow the players as much freedom as possible so as to give the impression that they have stepped from the glim of reality into the realms of fantasy and intrigue.

We shall see what this "Project Eternity" has to offer and if they stick to the plan of combining bg, iwd, and planescape into one really great game then I frankly will look forward to it. Until then, my main concern will be bg;ee just like everybody and I know that it is a great game AND it's getting enhanced so I can't wait to play it.

So long as I get to play my drow necromancer or assassin... ;)
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @shawne I think you misunderstand what I was saying. What I meant was that if Project Eternity was going to hurt the sales of BG:EE at all, it's already done. Like you said, the release dates are worlds apart.

It's conceivable someone may have donated to PE who won't pick up BG:EE because of the money they pledged. And if that's the case, it's already happened.

Is that more clear? I am with the majority here thinking it's a non-factor.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Seriously the polls are getting more and more stupid with each passing day
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    geselle said:

...Or ARE they? *smells a poll on the way...*
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Aosaw said:

geselle said:

...Or ARE they? *smells a poll on the way...*
    You should first make a poll if you should make a poll about polls going that way. Wouldn't want to make an extra poll if people don't want that poll.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This has got to be the... (trying to be charitable in word choice) dumbest... poll I've ever seen.

Why would anybody think that a game that is to be released in 2014 has anything whatsoever to do with a game that is being released in 2012?

BG:EE and BG2:EE are going to be ancient history, in gaming terms, before a game from 2014 is even going to be on the radar, as anything but an idea or a dream. A lucrative dream from its creators, given the phenomenon of Kickstart, but still only a dream.

I don't see any connection between the BG:EE project and the Project Eternity project, other than that many of us who are interested in the one are also interested in the other.

And as for that, I kind of want to say, "so what"?
  • orosiusorosius Member Posts: 45
    I'm interested in PE for updated graphics since BGEE will be behind the times, but ill still buy bgee because hey, its baldurs gate!
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    For me it is like this: We got Baldur's Gate, the best CRPG saga of our current history, being enhanced AND a new game released that seems to be the new Baldur's Gate. I got to say, my money is on both. Good games are what we need, and we're getting more than one ;)
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    I still hope that gaming companies of today look to bg;ee and see what it really takes to make a good story when it comes out.