Skip to content

Going Solo

bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
Has anyone played the game bg1 or bg2 with just the pc? Which class have you soloed with?

For me, I tried FMT, FMC and the solo sorcerer. I suspect that any class is possible, but it's easiest for a thief or mage. Has anyone tried soloing with a cleric/ranger or a single fighter class?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Cleric/Ranger would be piss-easy for combat scenarios but you would obviously have trouble with traps. Sure you can learn the spell Find Traps but you can't disarm them. Most of them you can walk around, but you'd have to take a hit here and there.

I have solo'd the game with a Dwarven Fighter/Thief. It was quite easy actually.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I've done a lot of BG1 with a paladin. If you know the game well it is fairly easy to do. The only problem I found is that it is very boring. You get so many potions and protection scrolls that you can make yourself pretty much invulnerable to everything that is thrown at you in every fight.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Soloing should be possible with any and all classes, but two have exceptional problems at it - Beast Master and Barbarian, although for the latter it might still be possible if you're fast enough with a weapon like Flail of Ages against mages (it slows them down, and slowed mages = bad at casting)
    Beast master is a complete nightmare, I tried it, but couldn't get over Spellhold, it simply was impossible!

Generally speaking, mages have it the easiest, or spellcasters in general for that matter. They start off slowly though. Cleric/Mage and Cleric/Thief (possibly even Mage/thief) can breeze through the games though.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited October 2012
    I am currently going solo through BG1 and BG2 for the very first time (although i cheated a tiny bit and removed all XP caps). I'm using a F/M/T.

It is a lot easier than I thought it would be. Obviously I've finished BG1 with this character and the Sarevok fight was stupidly easy. With spell buffs and potions I simply strolled into the final temple and took on his whole party at once and wiped the floor with the lot of them.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Solo'd with a sorcerer. First character I actually finished the whole game with. The staff of the magi "re equipping" was dumb, I think they should remove that permanent invisibility thing honestly. But other than that was very fun. Soloing irenicus in an all out caster battle was great!
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    i did a solo run with a paladin before, couldn't really disarm any of the traps but was easy enough to walk through a whole bunch of them then rest up to heal
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @creator1629 The Cavalier's Resistance to Fear and various elements would certainly come in handy in a solo run as a Paladin. Charm, not so much unless the bad guys can go "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!" and make you punch your own lights out =-p

Granted a Paladin Protagonist, even a normal one, would have enough extra healing just between Lay on Hands and the freebie Cure Light Wounds you get from dreams.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I've solo'd SoA twice, once with elf F/M/T, once with Dwarf Beserker. Both were very easy. I haven't solo'd BG1 although I attempted a Druid and did the Werewolf Isle before stopping. Generally I prefer to play the games in a party of four.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I played solo from BG1 through SoA with a multi-class cleric/thief. It seemed the best way, since I could stealth to get around opponents who were too difficult, backstab, disarm traps, summon creatures, and heal myself.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    CaptRory said:

@creator1629 The Cavalier's Resistance to Fear and various elements would certainly come in handy in a solo run as a Paladin. Charm, not so much unless the bad guys can go "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!" and make you punch your own lights out =-p

Granted a Paladin Protagonist, even a normal one, would have enough extra healing just between Lay on Hands and the freebie Cure Light Wounds you get from dreams.

If you are playing solo and get charmed, the game ends. So charm immunity is actually quite useful solo with the sirens, etc.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Rumor has it that in a fit of drunken decision making, the illustrious @SandmanCCL felt the only way to prove that bards were a viable class was to solo both games with 1.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @AHF

Actually if you're playing Vanilla BG1, Protection From Evil makes you immune to the Siren charm. You still get the debuff but you don't actually get charmed and thus no game over. =)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

@AHF

Actually if you're playing Vanilla BG1, Protection From Evil makes you immune to the Siren charm. You still get the debuff but you don't actually get charmed and thus no game over. =)

Good to know! Either way, the protection from charm is an asset in BG.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I never knew about the Charm = Game Over thing. I don't play solo, hehe. Or at least never tried it. The Protection From Evil info is very helpful! I wish I knew about that sooner!
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

Rumor has it that in a fit of drunken decision making, the illustrious @SandmanCCL felt the only way to prove that bards were a viable class was to solo both games with 1.

Hah.

In all honesty, it wasn't to "prove" they were viable as I already knew they were. It was just the character I actually succeeded a hardcore playthrough with. No reloads, just him.

Seriously, wands are so, so good.