Skip to content

Have you/will you pre-order BGEE?

2»

Comments

• cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I'm not pre-ordering, because I want to wait for a Linux-native edition in a box and if that's not going to happen, then I'd like at least a boxed Windows edition. If none of those are coming out, only then I'll consider downloading the Windows edition.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Kristie83 said:

Vonbek777 said:

I really don't know how big the women's market is for rpgs anymore. At one time I thought it was growing, but WOW and the iphone sort of cut into that. My wife was the only girl in our group back in college. Serious programmer, she was writing software for the university before she graduated full time. But still found time to play all night sessions of Warcraft 2, Quake, Tribes, all the infinity engine games, and FF series and Zelda games on consoles. She also was a big reader, including comic books and fantasy. So there are a few out there. As for being born a boy? Just be yourself....and keep your eyes open, there are people out there, just not a lot. I don't know very many hard core crpg males anymore either. Most gamers are first person shooters that don't require reading. Truth is non reflex based games are on decline because of culture changes in general regardless of sex. Entropy in motion. ;)

When I was young and playing games on the old Commodore 64 and NES I don't think there were very many "girl games" The games that I remember playing were like Ghostbusters or Ninja Turtles, then eventually Zelda and the like. These days you find all sorts of games marketed toward young girls like dress-up barbie games and crap like that. You're very lucky to have a significant other that can also be your gaming buddy! I don't ACTUALLY wish I were male, more like I wish more females enjoyed and appreciated the genre. As for non reflex games being on the decline, I think our society doesn't value reading and use of imagination as much as it once did. Its sad, really.

@Bytebrain, Once the game is released I plan to do a solo playthrough first so I can savour the story and really know the game. After I may try to recruit some poor patient saps to play with me. Although I feel like one of those poor, unpopular kids on the playground that has nobody to play with asking like that, lol...

Well, after you've played through the game solo, you'll no longer be a newbie. :-)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    @Bytebrain Actually you'll miss a lot of the story and the game playing solo - the companions have a lot to offer as they accompany you both from a story standpoint and from the concept of tactical team combat. Solo runs very typically skip much of the game mostly following the critical path only.
    Wanderon said:

@Bytebrain Actually you'll miss a lot of the story and the game playing solo - the companions have a lot to offer as they accompany you both from a story standpoint and from the concept of tactical team combat. Solo runs very typically skip much of the game mostly following the critical path only.

I meant playing the game solo as in not co-op multiplayer. Not without NPC's. :-)
    Kristie83 was expressing worries about playing Co-op MP since she was inexperienced, and decided to play through the game "solo" first, as in not MP.

Other than that, you're completely right. :-)
    I wouldn't attempt to play through the game without a party of NPC's.
    I'm not particular hardcore in BG.
    @bytebrain - ahhhhh... gotcha - thats what I get by not going back and looking at the context of the quote LOL! I played a little co-op BG and IWD back in the day but we didn't use roger wilco or any other voice communication which menat we had to type anything we wanted to say to one another which made the already slow process even slower.

We did play a very RP style game where we were required to stay in character for all communications except in "an emergency" and then we had to label the text OOC which was great fun except the part about waiting patiently for each other to finish typing -especially us "hunt & peckers" .... ;-)
    Wanderon said:

@bytebrain - ahhhhh... gotcha - thats what I get by not going back and looking at the context of the quote LOL! I played a little co-op BG and IWD back in the day but we didn't use roger wilco or any other voice communication which menat we had to type anything we wanted to say to one another which made the already slow process even slower.

We did play a very RP style game where we were required to stay in character for all communications except in "an emergency" and then we had to label the text OOC which was great fun except the part about waiting patiently for each other to finish typing -especially us "hunt & peckers" .... ;-)

Sounds very fun!

I've never played coop BG, did play some WOW some years ago, and participated in some raids. We did use voice communication software, and that made it doable. Otherwise, I don't think it would have been possible. But WOW is very frantic when doing raids.

I would like to try BG coop, but I would prefer playing with friends in the same room, like I did in my youth with other games.
    We used to have whole weekends where we played everything from C&C to Doom and Quake and the occasional Need for Speed (the original, yes, I'm that old)... :-)
    We were so many, that at one point we had to call an electrician to put up a new relay for the house, as we used so much juice that we blew everything..

And the bill for pizzas and cola was through the roof. :-)
    Great fun.

I do believe it would be too hard to get hold of friends to sit through extended sessions of coop BG, as we're all older with families and commitments preventing great big gaming sessions, but I do miss those carefree times somewhat..
  • claudiotkd4claudiotkd4 Member Posts: 7
    Its a classic. Its better than ever with the new stuff and visual upgrades. How can i miss remember the good old days? Obviously i already pre order. Perhaps this is only the first step of great things to come. Lets be positive. There is no one doing this kind of stuff. The problems that beamdog are going through only to have this game in ours hands again. Thats remarkable. Fanatic mode off. Hope all enjoys the game when its out.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    You know @Kristie83, that you can simply click on the pre-order badge that everyone that pre-order receive to get this info, and by the way, if i'm not wrong you can only pre-order for windows.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    If you could, I'd pre-order the Mac version (so voted for that), but you can't :-(
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 137
    Won't preorder as I get nothing really for it. I don't mind the 2 dollars extra that I'll pay when the game is out. That there is some collector's edition thingie thingie that would be a different story
    Bytebrain said:

I do believe it would be too hard to get hold of friends to sit through extended sessions of coop BG, as we're all older with families and commitments preventing great big gaming sessions, but I do miss those carefree times somewhat..

We had a group of 3 or 4 IIRC scattered across the country that used to get together online on Sunday mornings for a few hours and tried to play IWD co-op - if someone couldn't make it the others played an alternate game that weekend and after about 6 months we were barely into Chap 2 as I recall and eventually disbanded the group.

Had a couple seesions with some other folks in BG1 and we didn't try to play the game from scratch - just used somebodys save game and warped into an interesting area and played for a couple hours or until folks had to go. Still fun but still very slow with the typing communication.

The new "arena" area might be a good option for co-op play for those who want to - I'm not into it anymore myself and have no clue about how to set up and use voice communication - as you say much easier to just have everyone in the same house LOL!

Wanderon said:

Bytebrain said:

We had a group of 3 or 4 IIRC scattered across the country that used to get together online on Sunday mornings for a few hours and tried to play IWD co-op - if someone couldn't make it the others played an alternate game that weekend and after about 6 months we were barely into Chap 2 as I recall and eventually disbanded the group.

Had a couple seesions with some other folks in BG1 and we didn't try to play the game from scratch - just used somebodys save game and warped into an interesting area and played for a couple hours or until folks had to go. Still fun but still very slow with the typing communication.

The new "arena" area might be a good option for co-op play for those who want to - I'm not into it anymore myself and have no clue about how to set up and use voice communication - as you say much easier to just have everyone in the same house LOL!

I live in the same city as all my friends, and when we were younger it was very easy to gather a group of at least 4, often up to 6-8 people for a MP session in the same house/apartment, and for me, it beats MP over the web hands down..
    It's just so much more fun fragging your friends and teasing them head to head instead of over a microphone.. :)

But as you point out, a game like BG is so time consuming, and that makes it much harder.

Once or twice a month, I'm meeting with a group of friends for P&P role play, and even that is harder to arrange these days, often we have to cancel, but we're having fun, still. Been going at the current campaign of three or four years now.
    The last campaign ended for me, when my lawful (and stupidly brave) Paladin threw himself into combat with 50 demons emerging from a gatewell to hell, while the rest of the group was fleeting to safety..
    Needless to say, he didn't last long... :-)