Skip to content

Your Favorite Beer Thread!

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited November 2012
    Yesterday I stopped by that Belgian pub on my way home and had a pint of draught Delirium Nocturnum. A-grade drinking material, although I still prefer Chimay Grand Rèserve as a dark beer.

Before heading home, I bought a couple beers to take away: a Chimay Grand Rèserve, of course; and a Delirium Christmas.
    Post edited by AndreaColombo on
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    edited November 2012
    Haha I'll bookmark this thread xD

In belgium, we have sooo many good beers it's actually hard to only pick a few.

When I had a rough hot day in summer, I'd rather have Hoegarden, A pécheresse (or a fruit défendu, which is quite the same) or a Blond Timmermans. If I'm feeling adventorous on top of that, i'll take a pech-mel-bush, which is a slang for a divine mix between two beer : pécheresse and bush. The first one is quite fruity, and blend perfectly with the stronger second one.

At dinner, I'll rather have a chimey (blue only, I don't really like the brown one, it's a bit too much on the stomach), a maredsous or an orval. We have a saying here that one beer is like two slices of bread. Those beers fits the description nicely :D

When hanging with friends at night, I'm more in favor of stronger ales yet light when they goes down. Gulden Drak, karmélite & westmal (triple, it's best) and leffe, mostly. I do sometime drink chouffe and "cuvée des trolls". But that last one is a special romantic case. It's the beer brewed in my university. <3

Oh, and when I want to gain a girls favor, I tend to offer kriek or timmermans ^_^ a true winning tag team !

I also like "cap bonne aventure" but it's a bit too fruity for me these days, and I've tasted a very good one recently it was called smg like "duchesse de flandre". Reminded me of the karmélite but with more fruity aromas.
    @Medillen - Yeah, it's hard to keep track of how many good beers actually come from Belgium.

I've always wanted to try out Cuvée des Trolls, but its steeper price compared to most other (good) beers has always thrown me off.
    @AndreaColombo yeah, it's best to buy it directly in louvain-la-neuve. Otherwise it's not entirely worth the money. We have over 700 sorts of beers, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't tasted half of them yet. Each six months we hold the "quinzaine de la bière" (two weeks of the beer) where beers are really cheap and that permits to taste a lot of unknown smaller beers that are made available during this time. It's the weeks of discoveries ! I usually taste 10 to 15 new beers during that time. And drink lots of good ones that are cheap for the occasion.
    I wish we had a cheap-Belgian-beer fortnight every month in Hungary as well!
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    There's a Scottish beer, Innis and Gunn, that I am especially fond of. Unfortunately, it's not always easily available, so my second go to beer is Peroni Nastro Azzurro, which is fortunately sold in the supermarket just next door to me.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Krypteia said:

There's a Scottish beer, Innis and Gunn, that I am especially fond of. Unfortunately, it's not always easily available, so my second go to beer is Peroni Nastro Azzurro, which is fortunately sold in the supermarket just next door to me.

You are not the first who mention Innis and Gunn, so I will add it to my list if I will come across it.

@AndreaColombo

I envy you.

@Medillen

I envy you.

I wish imported beer were less expensive and less hard to get..

@mch202 - I'm having the blue chimay as I type these lines. A perfect compliment for the dinner I've cooked, and the backtaste is enhanced by my first culinary success (I've always sucked hard at cooking, and the fact what I'm eating is decent is a major achievement for me) XD

@Medillen - When's the next quinzaine? We may organize a forum rendez-vous in Belgium and drink ourselves out. @mch202 is in.
  • WhhheatonWhhheaton Member Posts: 6
    As they say in Ireland, if you want your child to grow, give him a jar of Porter. Mine's any Belgian lager please
    Your child is a belgian lager? :-O
    @AndreaColombo Next quizaine is in 5 month. Winter is coming. Tough luck =p

BTW I tasted a tongerlo few hours ago. Not the best I've ever had, but quite interesting.
  • lolthlolth Member Posts: 39
    dwarven ale :)
    @Medillen - See you in 5 months, then ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2z55xTqM10
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    mch202 said:

You are not the first who mention Innis and Gunn, so I will add it to my list if I will come across it.

It's a very easy drink to like. Goes down almost too easily, it's quite easy to get carried away.

Forgot to mention, I am a fan of Budweiser too. Not the American Budweiser (though that's OK, in a pinch) but the Czech version, sometimes known as Budvar. I was in Prague last summer, and with the price of beer there being about £1 a 500ml bottle, I have to admit I was having a fair bit of that to drink during my time there.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    Krypteia said:

mch202 said:

It's a very easy drink to like. Goes down almost too easily, it's quite easy to get carried away.

So true. It's friggen expensive around here too. I've made it a personal rule to have a maximum of one per day (not one *every* day). I hate wasting Innis & Gunn by drinking it when I'm already drunk.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited November 2012
    Innis & Gunn

wonder if i can get that beer in Denmark ..

Seems there aremore than one kind.
    @mch202 is it with whisky or rum the one you like ?
  • gdubbs66gdubbs66 Member Posts: 29
    @Krypteia -hmmm, I may have to try that Czech Budweiser since we get it here down in Palestine. When I am back home in the United States, I usually avoided the US Budweiser unless I was using it to make beer brats, but I'll take you up on your advice since there is only one Palestinian beer in existence (Taybeh). I can get the Czech stuff for about 10 NIS (roughly $2.50, sorry I don't know the conversion to Euros) per 500 ml bottle.
    Drinking my Delirium Christmas now. Very fruity and malty smell, medium body, strong alchool.

I'm loving it.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Drinking my Delirium Christmas now. Very fruity and malty smell, medium body, strong alchool.

I'm loving it.

I Hate You.

@lordkim I never tried Innis & Gunn, but I can tell you that I cant stand Whiskey so...
    @gdubbs66 wtf are you doing in Palestine ??!!!!
    @lordkim - Making epic reflex saves :P

seriously- teaching kids English
    mch202 said:

I Hate You.

I'm tipsy.
    @gdubbs66 Ok.
    gdubbs66 said:

@lordkim - Making epic reflex saves :P

seriously- teaching kids English

Good luck then....

I'm loving it.

show us !!
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    I don't recall the name but I had this amazing CRAZY sour cherry beer a few years back at the ole pub. Say what you want about fruity beers but this thing would knock you on your arse.
    @Badmass - what country were you in and do you know if it was a local draft?
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    @gdubbs66 - I was in the States, it was not local. I want to say it may have been French. I would love to find it again.
    lordkim said:

show us !!

It's already gone ... but I posted a pic of the bottle in this very page of this thread, just scroll upward ;)
    @badmass - bummer...if it was a US beer, that is something you probably would find typically in New England or West Coast, but it probably could have been imported. Do remember anything about its name or brewing company?