Skip to content

How often would you like to see news updates?

Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
If you could choose, how often would you like to see news updates on what's going on with projects of overhaul?

/edit/ sorry for not being precise enough. I was interested in what you think how often general news updates of current development projects should take place.
  1. How often would you like to updates from Overhaul?109 votes
    1. Every day! BG:EE is my life.
        4.59%
    2. Once a week would be cool! I like to be up to date.
      57.80%
    3. Every fortnight. I also got other things to do...
      14.68%
    4. Once a month is enough. But then a big update please.
      17.43%
    5. Depends on... (Explain)
        5.50%
Post edited by Fluid29 on

Comments

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    well, uh, yea. once a week doesn't seem excessive. maybe a fortnight.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Once a month would fine with me. I want the updates to be meaningful and not feel like they were rushes. Unless it's bug fixes; I'd like those fixed ASAP.
  • AyurukAyuruk Member Posts: 20
    Well for bugs they would need to be hot fixes.
    But general updates monthly or everyother month
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I think weekly updates on the development progress would be good. We're only 6 weeks away now. If it were still a year away, I'd say monthly would do, but this late in the game, especially with the release delay, I think more frequent updates would be nice. It would keep everyone's spirits, (and maybe patience,) up and could generate more sales.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Updates once they have concrete things to add.
    If they are just floating ideas without knowing how well they are actually going to work, I'd personally would like less nerd rage when that idea doesn't come to fruition and the staff are forced to respond to why this one idea they mentioned isn't happening when they do give an official announcement on an update they are going to do.
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    Depends on wether you have to start a new game to experience them or not.
    I am fine with meaningful updates, even if I have to wait for them, I don't want. "Yay! Today we added a new cow to the Candlekeep area that has a different colour than the others" updates every second day.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Lol bg "isn't" my life but I voted what I would like to see even though I know in my heart it ain't coming. :(
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Are you talking about updates in development, or updates to the game, IE new areas in patches?
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    Yea i just saw this was not very clear. What i was talking about was more updates on what Overhaul is working on. I guess regular information on that could also lead to further discussions on the forum.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I think once a fortnight is reasonable, even if it's only a small update, it would be nice to have some reassurance that things are moving along comfortably, especially after the first delay.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    edited October 2012
    Fluid29 said:

Yea i just saw this was not very clear. What i was talking about was more updates on what Overhaul is working on. I guess regular information on that could also lead to further discussions on the forum.

That's what I thought, but others were talking about patching the game after release, so I wanted to clarify before I posted. But yeah, once a week or so would be nice. I haven't heard anything since "oh hey btw, thanks for your money but you can't play yet" happened.

EDIT: The last update I remember now that I think about it, is scrapping the cross platform multiplayer for the original release. Yay good news! lol
  • Infern0Infern0 Member Posts: 44
    I think once a week is fair, anything more than that would probably just be trivial news.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    When was the last announcement? Was it that one about the delay? Anything after that?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

When was the last announcement? Was it that one about the delay? Anything after that?

The last one is the short story of dorn il khan and voice acting samples.

• neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    Since we're close to the release date, it would be nice to see updates every week.

Obviously for BG2:EE, to start off, once a month would be fine and then, as the release date grows closer, every other week and then weekly.

It helps keep me interested.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Once every 4.5 seconds would be nice.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Back in May I was advocating for weekly updates, but with the amount of work required for actual development, I think that kind of thing would only be possible if they had someone whose job was just writing articles for the updates. It takes a lot of time to come up with things like that, and that's time that is usually better spent actually working.
  • RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    At this point, seeing another screenshot before release would be nice, although I think that's unlikely. For subsequent releases though, a substantial update once a month or so would be nice.
  • ThorThor Member Posts: 10
    Once every fortnight Trent should give a progress report in a read only thread that states which part of the game is being worked on. Once or twice a week in the final 2 weeks before release.

Overall they need to strike a balance between being left alone to get the necessary work done and not letting the BG fan base guessing too much.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I don't need any updates, actually. Fans should just be patient. I'm just looking forward to November right now. Go Oster! :)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    dammit @Delvarian you stole my idea of what i was going to say :)
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    Thor said:

Once every fortnight Trent should give a progress report in a read only thread that states which part of the game is being worked on. Once or twice a week in the final 2 weeks before release.

Overall they need to strike a balance between being left alone to get the necessary work done and not letting the BG fan base guessing too much.

This.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    sarevok57 said:

dammit @Delvarian you stole my idea of what i was going to say :)

Great minds think alike.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Depends on if there's news, as in something to report on. I wouldn't want reports being written all the time just for the sake of writing reports, but if there is something genuinly important, than yes I would like to see it.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I agree with @ARKdeEREH. Frequent updates aren't needed for me, but I'd always be interested in updates concerning 'big news'. :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Aosaw said:

Back in May I was advocating for weekly updates, but with the amount of work required for actual development, I think that kind of thing would only be possible if they had someone whose job was just writing articles for the updates. It takes a lot of time to come up with things like that, and that's time that is usually better spent actually working.

Well said. I figured the reason we aren't updated often is because Overhaul doesn't exactly have someone hired to just write that sort of stuff. Which is indeed what you would need to have. It's surprising we get updated as often as we do, considering.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    More updates happening more often = shitty updates.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    In principle updates should only be given when there's news to tell that's definitive. Fueling rumours about things that might make it to the game but get scrapped later only serves to make a grumpy bunch of forum complaints. However, if news is too few and far between, especially after the announcement of the delay, a status report on what it is the team is working on once every fortnight or so would be welcome. And when the date gets closer, it would be nice to see a FAQ on often asked questions as to what rules in the games are applied, for instance the issues of the xp cap, kits for dualclassed characters (BG1 style or BG2 style), what feature requests regarding rules are implemented and what not.

And when the date gets close, a preview of the portraits, so people can go all wow and in anticipation full of wondering what character they will take on their first playthrough.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    This seems like a whine thread more than something that will have value. Anyway, I would want hourly updates. However, that's not what I really, really want.
    Tell me what you want, what you really really want
    I'll tell you...
    Never mind. What I would prefer is that the work on the game progress and, news or no, it get released on 30 NOV. Anything else is icing on the cake!
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    It only reamin around one month BG-EE would be released , i really don't understnad why we still can't see any gameplay videos or more screenshots ,