Skip to content

Request: Stop movement from ending a shaman's dance.

CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
This one seems to me like it'd be a fairly straight forward one for those who know how modding works.

The Shaman class released in 2.0 has a horrible "feature" to it. It only works when you stand still. If you move, all the spirits that you've called to your aid vanish immediately. I can understand actions stopping the dance, for instance bards can't attack or cast spells while performing bardic music, but movement is absurdly crippling for a class that seems determined to shoot itself in the foot at every turn.

We've got mods that alter Bardic Music (such as breaking invisibility), and on the surface this Spirit Dance seems to be the same type of ability. I would assume it's a simple matter of either changing a binary value or altering an entry in the ability's variable list. I lack the tools and familiarity with modding to do it myself.

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It's a bit more than altering a value, but it's still doable. I have already improved the shamanic dance in my own game installation. I can probably turn it into a mod for everyone to use.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It uses spell states which are checked in dance-related spells and the sprit creature scripts. My version allows the shaman to move at reduced speed while dancing. I don't think there have to be more options to choose from. I will also change the spirit script somewhat to prevent a second shaman to take over the spirits of the first shaman.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    It is a new opcode, not the contingency one (232), but more or less the same idea. Removing the effect (363) should work.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I think disabling summoning new spirits while moving, but allowing those that are there to remain, would be a good compromise as well.
    Ammar said:

I think disabling summoning new spirits while moving, but allowing those that are there to remain, would be a good compromise as well.

I don't think that makes a lot of difference since the total number of summoned spirits is quite limited and you can always stop moving for a while to replenish their number.

Btw, you can try out my attempt to make the Shamanic Dance more useful. More information and the mod itself in this topic.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

It is a new opcode, not the contingency one (232), but more or less the same idea. Removing the effect (363) should work.

Yeah, this works
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    @Avenger_teambg

Would you mind spelling out exactly what 363 does? Is it possible to have it end other sorts of spells on movement (i.e. innate, wizard or priest)?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

Would you mind spelling out exactly what 363 does? Is it possible to have it end other sorts of spells on movement (i.e. innate, wizard or priest)?

Opcode 363 only works with Modal Abilities.
    It triggers if that modal ability is in use when you move, ending that modal ability.

You would want opcode 366. It applies its .spl resource the next time you move during its duration.
    kjeron said:

Opcode 363 only works with Modal Abilities.
    It triggers if that modal ability is in use when you move, ending that modal ability.

You would want opcode 366. It applies its .spl resource the next time you move during its duration.
    Awesome! Thanks
    @kjeron

Could you point me to a working example? I'm having trouble getting it to work
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Grammarsalad I don't think the opcode is actually put to use anywhere.
    How are you trying to use it?

The resource spell should just be an otherwise empty spell with opcode 321 targeting whatever spell you want the movement to end.
    kjeron said:

@Grammarsalad I don't think the opcode is actually put to use anywhere.
    How are you trying to use it?

The resource spell should just be an otherwise empty spell with opcode 321 targeting whatever spell you want the movement to end.

That's what i...d'ho! I think i used 324...