Skip to content

How do you plan to play BG:EE?

BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 477
Much like the title says, how do you plan to play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition? What rules do you live by and what characters will you want in your party?

I have two run-throughs thought out. I'll get to the second one later, but here's the first one.

FIRST GAME:
I plan to start with a Elven Chaotic Good Sorcerer and play through like I would do things in real life. I'll help people I feel deserve help as much as I can, always tell the truth, never take anything belonging to other people (unless they attacked me first and I killed them), and generally try to respect everyone around me and make the world a better place.

The second part of that is I don't believe in the idea of evil races. To be good or evil a being must have the intelligence to make a choice (we don't consider animals evil for hunting for example) and if a species has enough intelligence to make the choice to be evil, then each member of that species is choosing and it's impossible to judge every member of that species as "evil" or "good" on sight.

Combined with that I don't like the prejudice of many supposedly good characters. Rangers each have a species that they have an irrational hatred for. Many supposedly good characters seem to be incredibly intolerant and hostile towards all members of any races they've decided are evil, especially Paladins like Keldorn in BG2. So I feel it's necessary to protect those races from the supposed good characters if necessary (like saving Viconia from the Flaming Fist guard, or from Keldorn, or anyone else.) I assume Dorn will suffer from the same persecution and I'll protect him as well.

While my reputation tends to usually be quite high, I don't consider it important, so if I have to kill a few (dozen) unreasonable guards that are unfairly persecuting me or others that's regrettable but necessary. I can always go to a temple if my reputation gets too low and I'll try not to let it get so low that people leave (but if they do these things happen).

Other Party Members: I plan to add each new party member as I find them, removing whichever party member has been in my party the longest. This means I may sometimes be without a thief or healer but I just consider that a challenge. I'll do the quests of each member as I get them and when a party member leaves I'll leave them fully equipped with normal weapons and armor (but keep the magical special stuff to give to other party members).

The three new characters I'll keep forever once I get them since I'll want to see what they're all about and then I'll just rotate through my other two slots. If my reputation happens to be too high for an evil character I'll delay them until the inevitable fight with a Flaming Fist guard or a racist paladin drops my reputation back to where I can have evil parties.

What's your plans?

Comments

• cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    That's right, lawful good paladins are often pretty evil pests when it comes to judging others. That is why, if I'd be doing an alignment chart, there would be no scale of good vs. evil, just of lawful vs. chaotic. The personal concepts of good and evil may vary and would have little to do with the actual alignment.

Personally, I've done too many playthroughs of goody-two-shoes characters already. My first playthrough of BG:EE will be a lawful evil gnomish thief/illusionist. There is SO much to steal and break into in BG1, it just invites for sneaky mini-games each time you reach a new town. No one will be safe from me pickpocketing them or breaking into their houses, looting all that looks valueable. I do need something to balance out the bad rep I'd be getting from bad alignment and lack of will to help anyone, etc., right?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The Good vs. Evil argument is rooted in the debate of Nature vs. Nurture. However, when you bring magic into the mix, all sorts of things can go wonky. You might very well have races that default to evil because of some unnatural imperative forced upon them.

If you look at a Theological Free Will argument, if you consider humans to have complete free will to choose good, evil, or other then races created by evil gods might have only partial free will and be forced to always take the evil path with outliers like Drizzt to invoke a well known example, being the equivalent to a human who is fundamentally damaged and forced to choose evil, only his damage puts him more neutrally aligned to choose his own path.

Or they could be as neutral as humanity but the society, the environment they are put in, fiercely hammers down any opposition so that any members who aren't evil are disposed of, or broken, or forced to obey to the point where they are functionally evil even if their heart isn't in it. That goes back to nature vs. nurture though. We've seen horrible tragedies that occured when a terrible regime lasted for only decades. How much worse would a system of people that live for hundreds of years be that has been around for many generations?
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 477
    CaptRory said:

The Good vs. Evil argument is rooted in the debate of Nature vs. Nurture. However, when you bring magic into the mix, all sorts of things can go wonky. You might very well have races that default to evil because of some unnatural imperative forced upon them.

If you look at a Theological Free Will argument, if you consider humans to have complete free will to choose good, evil, or other then races created by evil gods might have only partial free will and be forced to always take the evil path with outliers like Drizzt to invoke a well known example, being the equivalent to a human who is fundamentally damaged and forced to choose evil, only his damage puts him more neutrally aligned to choose his own path.

Or they could be as neutral as humanity but the society, the environment they are put in, fiercely hammers down any opposition so that any members who aren't evil are disposed of, or broken, or forced to obey to the point where they are functionally evil even if their heart isn't in it. That goes back to nature vs. nurture though. We've seen horrible tragedies that occured when a terrible regime lasted for only decades. How much worse would a system of people that live for hundreds of years be that has been around for many generations?

Oh I can totally see races where almost everyone is evil, but it still should be possible to have good members of that race or ones who do good actions from time to time (The drow kicked Viconia out for failing to kill a baby: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Viconia_DeVir). My point is simply that even if most members of a race are evil there is the possibility for good, so judging them solely on their race is not right.

The entire alignment system is hypocritical; built from the perspective of humans, labeling humanity as 'good' and anything that opposes humans as 'evil'. If a human is walking through the woods and sees an orc the human can attack first and kill the orc and it's ok. If the orc attacks the human it's the orc being evil even if the orc only did so because humans have a habit of wandering into orcish towns and slaughtering them for experience and shiny gold (which is somehow considered a 'good' action). I could, as a human Paladin, embark on a giant unprovoked campaign of genocide, kill every kobald (or orc, or drow, or whatever) in the world, and still come out with Lawful Good alignment. I'd sleep like a baby secure in the rightness of my actions. That's true evil right there.

Back to my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate I'd have my Elven Chaotic Good Sorcerer max out Strength, Dexterity, and Charisma, have Constitution at 16 and then split any remaining points between Wisdom and Intelligence as a Sorcerer doesn't really need either of those. A lot of people don't bother with Charisma but I like the conversation and quest benefits even if they don't affect anything in the main storyline.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    I will be playing as a neutral evil drow necromancer or human if they don't implement subraces. Of course, I only care about "me" and ONLY "me" so I will do whatever it takes to satisfy my own personal needs whenever I see fit and smart to do so. I will oppose the law only if I must such as if someone betrays a deal they made toward me then I think it's time I killed them. I am always a man of my word in every deal I make and I will of course serve whichever side that gives me more benefits.

The fool paladins and they're "religious order". Yes I know them all too well BCaesar as I have ran into more than one in my travels. The minute they see a drow walking in they're surface lands they pull they're swords out and scream "Death to the drow". Of course, the last fool Bjorick I think is how you spelled it crossed my path once and ended up with his/her head on a pike while I used the rest of his/her body as my undead minion. Quite funny actually as he/she had quite the wit to match as well.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited October 2012
    I'm thinking of reusing my original Bhaalspawn Selene (NE elf sorceress) and pulling together a new version of her Fighting Furies: Jaheira, Shar-Teel, Imoen, Viconia and Neera. Then again, she didn't get to have a romance storyline the first time around, so I might swap one of the fighters for Dorn and have him be the token male teammate.

The way I play, specifically for this character, is as a savvy, intelligent, but utterly self-interested character. She wants power, and she'll cross almost any line to get it. At the same time, she can justify helping other people and pretending to be heroic if it furthers her own goals.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    If your charisma is around the max, I had mine at 18, evil characters shouldn't leave unless your rep gets to 19-20... I had edwin in my party, he complained for the longest time at 18 rep, but didn't leave until I got to I think 20. I had 19 charisma I think. 17 base+tome and algernons cloak.
  • DelinomDelinom Member Posts: 46
    I'll actually go the evil route. I done it in my last BG2 run but it's not enough...

It's more challenging overall, but the fact that the best (and often most charismatic) NPC's in the game are evil, makes it really intriguing.

I'll bring along Xzar and Montaron, Shar-Teel, Tiax, and why not even Viconia?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited October 2012
    I have been thinking about a CN or LE Cleric/thief (gnome or Half-orc) using all 3 new companions (unless the wild mage has an alignment conflict). The party will likely behave in a LE manner - stealing when the odds are good for not getting caught but not against helping others either as long as there's a profit or other benefit to be had by doing so.

I am seriously considering making most if not all my BG:EE games "no reload" campaigns of some form as well which should add considerably to the adrenaline level at each battle and also make those decisions about who to steal from a bit more complicated knowing I have to live with the results with no free "do overs"...
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I will play a True Neutral Fighter who fights with two daggers. Around level 4-6 I will dualclass him into a thief.

Imoen, Khalid and jaheira will be me "through-all-game-party-members".

I will pick up Minsc and Dynahier but dump them after the Naschel Mines and pick up Neera and Rasaad.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2012
    With a mouse... CAREFULLY... There will be MUCH CLICKING!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    edited October 2012
    How do I plan to play BG:EE?

With a Friend. Co-op all the way through baby.

Haven't decided wether I'll make a bard, fighter/mage or a ranger. Of course a pure fighter is an option too. Clerics would be tempting, if they didn't have those horrible weapon restrictions.
    Alignment? Neutral Good.

...Now, if elves could be paladins in 2nd edition rules, I'd probably go with one of those.
    BCaesar said:

Back to my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate I'd have my Elven Chaotic Good Sorcerer max out Strength, Dexterity, and Charisma, have Constitution at 16 and then split any remaining points between Wisdom and Intelligence as a Sorcerer doesn't really need either of those. A lot of people don't bother with Charisma but I like the conversation and quest benefits even if they don't affect anything in the main storyline.

I'm sorry, I thought that in Baldur's Gate every arcane caster used Intelligence (Even SORCERERS and Bards?)
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    Sorcerers don't use any stat, they were supposed to use charisma but it's not implemented.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    I'm going to spend quite some time creating my character... then I'll just play in an improvised way for hours and hours and... o.O
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    one co-op playthrough with a friend who's never managed to beat the game. i think i'l just take one "guide" character and he can have the rest, some kind of support member, either bard or cleric or druid...something like that.

another playthrough as an evil character (never done before, because being constantly harassed by town guards got old quick): the half-orc assassin i used in BG2 and then lastly a plain fighter with staffs, spears and darts...just to be different. plus to export into BG2 and use all those staffs of air/earth/fire etc...fun fun!
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    I have so many ideas that I don't know how to priorize but, roughly in this order...

- My trusty old sorceror, played through the whole saga both solo and in group.
    - A Cavalier, going to tank for a change.
    - My orc fighter / cleric (for lack of a shaman or a barbarian / cleric). I know a dwarf would be better, but this is an old character of mine.
    - Maybe a fighter / thief since I've never really played thieves, they feel much like a support class to me and I don't really enjoy backstabbing or stealthing around. Could change this for an stalker to give it a different flavor.
    - If I make it this far, I might try an avenger or make a party without NPCs to try 4 or 5 different characters at once.
  • BlackLinxBlackLinx Member Posts: 668
    My only big problem for the organization for the game, is that 15 years ago I not had a family, but today I have two kids! So my answer can not relate to a specific class, or race, but ... I have to ask when and how I will play regardless of this!
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Don't really know yet, the wife and I plan on two neutral characters, probably a fighter and a wizard. Always take Minsc, not sure who else we'll be bringing along.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    i play... with my hands :)!
  • lakridslakrids Member Posts: 29
    Well..
  • NightfallRobNightfallRob Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2012
    BCaesar said:

CaptRory said:

Oh I can totally see races where almost everyone is evil, but it still should be possible to have good members of that race or ones who do good actions from time to time (The drow kicked Viconia out for failing to kill a baby: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Viconia_DeVir). My point is simply that even if most members of a race are evil there is the possibility for good, so judging them solely on their race is not right.

The entire alignment system is hypocritical; built from the perspective of humans, labeling humanity as 'good' and anything that opposes humans as 'evil'. If a human is walking through the woods and sees an orc the human can attack first and kill the orc and it's ok. If the orc attacks the human it's the orc being evil even if the orc only did so because humans have a habit of wandering into orcish towns and slaughtering them for experience and shiny gold (which is somehow considered a 'good' action). I could, as a human Paladin, embark on a giant unprovoked campaign of genocide, kill every kobald (or orc, or drow, or whatever) in the world, and still come out with Lawful Good alignment. I'd sleep like a baby secure in the rightness of my actions. That's true evil right there.

How is the alignment system hypocritical? It was an attempt to simplify and codify an incredibly complex and layered idea, namely morality, into a game. Giving it multi-axial component was the best way to do it. It's certainly better than "paragon" vs. "renegade" point scores that have no meaning. Alignment was described in terms of general weal, or the good of society. And society in AD&D has more than humans in it. The idea that races could vary by alignment didn't show up until second edition and wasn't strong until 3rd edition. It's a valid idea, but one that didn't occur to most people until later.

As for the who attacks who first, in my games at least there are stories attached to the actions of the characters. If they're attacking the orcs, it's because the orcs have been attacking others (which is perfectly in keeping with their worship of Gruumsh). And no, as a paladin, you could not enter into a giant unprovoked campaign of genocide. Any DM that allows that is a lousy DM, period. Paladins fall from grace, and in the original rules there was no atonement. Any paladin randomly slaughtering anything in my campaigns, whether I was the DM or a player, lost their status on the spot and did not get it back, ever. Your understanding of the alignment system is poor. It was never, and will never be, perfect. But it is also not hypocritical. It just needs to be strictly enforced by the DM.

And to answer your question: I've beaten it as a good guy, and I'm sick of graduate school so I'm going evil for the stress relief. Xar, Montabon, Viconia, and any other rat bastard I can recruit lol.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I'm thinking of a first run through with a female halfling(!) evil cleric of talos - I like the idea of a magic-casting halfling, and with the shorty con-based saving throw bonuses, high dex and +1 when using slings, its possibly not as stupid an idea as it sounds, espc, as there are tomes to raise Wisdom to 18+. Another option is a stealthy gnome thief/illusionist (stealth... stab.. cast invisible...stab...repeat) or a warhammer-wielding dwarf fighter/cleric.

Evil party, obviously, so will be picking up Xzar (dumping for Edwin later after sending Xzar on a suicide mission - hey I'm evil!) and Montaron (focus on stealth/backstabbing - though will replace with Viconia if not running a cleric), Kagain (tank!), Safana (find traps/open locks) and, of course, the new blackguard NPC...

If going for a good party, I might try out CHARNAME as a Ranger/Cleric, though that's a bit power-gamey

Currently "in-training" playing BGT-Wediu with a chaotic neutral halfling assassin and a fairly "canon" good party, am having fun, but think the evil NPCs would be more even fun, as long as I don't let my reputation drop through the floor...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I think I'm gonna roll an Elven Ranger Archer with Racial Enemy dragons for my first character. Either that or an Elven Wild Mage (possibly Chaotic or Neutral Evil) and just go nuts.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I think I will run two games. The first, I will play in the standard fashion, with careful saving, nurturing the party through the campaign. In the other game, I will still save as normal, but only reload if the main character dies/TPK.
    As for classes, the only one I've played through BG or BG2 was the Bard (blade in BG2). I'd like to do a mage as main character, invoker, diviner maybe. Play it as a true apprentice to Gorion.
  • UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2012
    I will once again play as a male thief. I am also going to be human (because I am very racist and dislike most other races). Seriously though in my opinion the thief is the most interesting and fun class in the Infinity Engine games... a class that I have yet to be seen done properly in any other RPG. I also don't like to dual class my characters so he will became the greatest damn thief ever which will be great in BG2 where there is never a proper (permanent) thief.

I don't believe in good and evil or right and wrong so let me explain my character. Where to start?

CHARNAME is justice. When he left Candlekeep he was innocent. Gorion’s death made him swear to help change the world, to make it a better and more peaceful one. He would help the needy and he would show the bandit that he could his ways and become a better man making an honest living. But it was inevitable that he would change through the course of his journey. Eventually he would see that helping the world change was not enough.

CHARNAME is justice. He wholeheartedly believes that he has a god given right to pass judgement on others. He would help the needy and he would kill the bandit; the bandit is without hope for redemption. But as a thief he is not physically powerful and nor is he adept in the arcane arts. So he must rely on his wits, planning and manipulation of his peers and companions in order to create his ideal world. He cannot fight his own battles; others must do it for him. Because of this he will join forces with questionable characters such as Edwin, his magic proving very useful in furthering his goals. But it was inevitable that he would change through the course of his journey. Eventually he would see that the task of making a pure world was too large.

CHARNAME is justice but his time on this world will inevitably be too short. He cannot help the needy, they must fend for themselves nor can he waste his time on the bandit; he must focus his efforts towards greater evils. He has come to accept that questionable characters such as Edwin, as long as they serve his goals, are the very definition of good. But it was inevitable that he would change through the course of his journey. Eventually he would become obsessed.

CHARNAME is justice. He is the world’s saviour. Should a paladin stand in his way towards reshaping the world then they are surely servants of demonic forces. They are evil, and his must rid the world of them. Those who do not believe in his goals, well… they are surely evil are they not?

There are many other complexities to this character. His limitless love for Gorion sends him on a blind quest for vengeance against his killer. His obsessive protectiveness over Imoen turns him dangerous and unpredictable killer who will stop at nothing to ensure her safety.

He has a great deal of admiration for Ajantis. In him he sees somebody whose goals are closely linked to his own. It pains him to know that he is the one who unknowingly kills him (in BG2). He values Nalia’s innocence, that she has not yet seen the true evils of the world. The list goes on…

Despite his calculative nature he is a slave to his emotions. He is quick to anger, to be taunted. He sees Gorion's death every time he closes his eyes and his own weakness and inability to prevent it. He regrets having brought Imoen with him after Sarevok's death, allowing her to be captured and tortured by Irenicus.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012
    Since i'm not a big believer in powergaming, i prefer to play my characters flawed as they are, as is. To me that's the challenge of the game, to play flawed and imperfect characters, improve them to the best they can be within their classes and play smart and adapting the spells of magic users to compensate for the particular encounter(would only apply to dungeons where you know you have some idea of what you may encounter and prepare for that). As opposed to randoms where you can't prepare or predict.

So in my boringly predictable fashion i'll play what i always play:
    ME: Paladin(part tank/part healer with wands and rods or scrolls + paladin heal spells) I play this well for
    some reason. Should have seen me and a friend playing 2 pally's in WoW in the short time i played it before being utterly bored....we were a nasty team surviving encounters that so-called "perfect parties" would die doing.
    Jaheira(small healing in combo with pally is enough to not require a pure cleric), Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir and of course Imoen dualled.

Sometimes i'll drop Khalid for the archer...kivan?

Still undecided how i'll mix in the 2 new ones yet(Rassad and Neera) though my initial plan is to go with Pally(me), Jaheira, Imoen, Minsc, Neera(replacing dynaheir as magic user) and Rassad replacing khalid. I'd have to use that old trick of leaving a partner inside a building before tossing him/her out so you don't lose the partner.

In BG2 i'll use me again as paladin(i prefer undead hunter myself to cavalier even though i lose my lay hands if memory serves), Jaheira, Minsc, Yocheesemo until i get Imoen back, Aerie though her whining gets on my last nerve after a while and either Mazzy(cause i like her and she packs a mean punch surprisingly enough with the right equipment) or.....dang it's been too long since i last played BG2 lol can't remember who i used to use as my possible mazzy replacer. Definitely with BG2 more so than BG1 i have no idea how i'll incorporate Rassad and neera into the mix.

People may notice i have a penchant for melee over magic as i suck with magic. I never play magic users in any game i play if i can avoid it whether it be a single player or mmo. Also I've been picked apart on other forums for my not using a pure healer like the one in BG1 who's name escapes me as i type or Anomen in BG2...because i have 3 actual healers in me(pally), Jaheira and Aerie. I in fact have as much if not more overall healing with that combo than any single cleric unless all you do with the cleric is memorize nothing but heals....which is waste of a cleric.

That's all i can think of at the moment as i struggled during this whole thing with my train of thought constantly derailing.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I think I'm probably going to play an evil character first since I haven't done that yet. My evil char will probably be a F/T multi since that seems fun, reasonably powerful, and fitting for Bhaal's heir. At some point I'll also want to do another good playthrough to use the non-Dorn new characters... at the moment I'd probably choose Archer for a good character, but I'll probably change my mind by the time I get around to it.
  • VirsalusVirsalus Member Posts: 45
    Most probably starting as a chaotic good human sorcerer. I'll see where the journey will take me from there.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    1st Playthrough:
    CG Human Sorcerer
    Rasaad
    Imoen
    Neera
    Branwen
    Kivan

2nd Playthrough:
    NE Half-Elven Fighter/Mage
    Dorn
    Montaron
    Xzar
    Viconia
    Edwin

3rd Playthrough:
    CN Gnomish Cleric
    Dorn
    Rasaad
    Neera
    Quayle
    Safana
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I believe i'm going to use my own suggestions that i did to Sandman, make an archer ranger, make him fallen and use the game resources to make him evil (helm of opposite alignment and Nine Hells trias), of course i'm going to screw the Ranger Stronghold, and that will be of course fun :)!