Skip to content

Throw Out Diseased Gibberlings

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
What the hell is the point of a Diseased Gibberling?

Oh its an easy encounter when the game first starts! C'mon. You walk one more area over and fight an Ogre at level 1. You walk one more area down to High Hedge and Skeletal Archers shoot you to ribbons. Plus, a standard Gibberling isn't that much harder then a diseased one, except a few more HP and that the diseased ones instead of killing you, knock you out ala Iron Mike Tyson. I mean... if you're a Gibberling, by all means steer clear of the area just around Candlekeep! It seems there's a plague that affects the little blue G-Men in that one small geographical region. They don't even give you disease when they attack you... must be a Gibberling-only strain. If you need a fighter tutorial, there's one in Candlekeep and there's also a couple easy thieves that you take out. MAN UP. Diseased Gibberlings should all be cured and the world would be a better place for it.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid"
-- Q, (Star Trek the Next Generation)

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2012

Wait... no one told you? I see... Take a seat, and some hot tea, this is gonna be harsh...

Those gibberlings... they aren't curable... their disease has no medicine... because it's in their names... it's not an actual disease, but it's the love of their mothers that brought that up... the mother of the clan Diseased Gibberlings in the central sword coast region. They live as renegades, unnaccepted by other gibberlings. A twisted fate one might say... but it gets much much worse...

The Gibberlings of the clan Diseased, they are the favorite pray for Kossled (or what's his name)... he devours them, entire. It's horrible, it's really horrible... ;_;

I literally LOL'ed. It's likely a different kind of disease... Crazy Gibberling swinger parties going down near Candlekeep. That's probably why there's that circle of rocks there. It's a happening place.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    So, the conclusion is: it is not a souped up encounter. You don't want a diseased gibberling hump your leg, do you?
    edited October 2012

Diseased Gibberlings are in newbie areas, that pretty much explains itself. No reason to throw them off the game just because you want to.

Newbie areas? You mean the same areas you encounter wolves, ogres, and bandits in?

So, the conclusion is: it is not a souped up encounter. You don't want a diseased gibberling hump your leg, do you?

LOL might be more of a threat then they are now. :-) It's not souped up, but its certainly watered down.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Newbie areas? You mean the same areas you encounter wolves, ogres, and bandits in?

Use main motherloving road, and you won't encounter any wolf or ogre.Bandits can be encountered only when heading south to Beregost, and ogre spawns only in 1 certain place on the map. I think point of all this is for you to first gain allies (as per Gorion's instruction) and then you're free to do whatever you want. I said "newbie" because while warking main road straight to Friendly Arm Inn, you won't be encountering any dangerous creatures.

I believe that someone early in-game advices you to keep on main road, but I'm not sure. Whatever you might say, this is still pointless and stupid request.
    edited October 2012

Use main motherloving road, and you won't encounter any wolf or ogre.Bandits can be encountered only when heading south to Beregost, and ogre spawns only in 1 certain place on the map. I think point of all this is for you to first gain allies (as per Gorion's instruction) and then you're free to do whatever you want. I said "newbie" because while warking main road straight to Friendly Arm Inn, you won't be encountering any dangerous creatures.

I believe that someone early in-game advices you to keep on main road, but I'm not sure. Whatever you might say, this is still pointless and stupid request.
    Why don't you tell me how you really feel?

I don't see why the modification of a mob outside of the Prologue (which is the *real* newbie area) is a pointless and stupid request. It's ok with you to disagree with it, but I don't see how it fits into the same category as say, a request to turn Imoen blue.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I'm all for this.

1st level characters need to be one-shotted more; it builds integrity!

>_>;
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Play it on insane difficulty those diseased guys will make things way more interesting ;) Especially if you're playing a softy with 4-6 hp...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited October 2012

Uh, but I always apply the cunning logic that I, the adventurer should make my own path hacking through the underbrush, thereby avoiding obvious ambushes on the cobblestone road, which as anyone can tell you, is a veritable hive of scum and villainy. No my extinguished adventuring comrade, dawn your boots of fortitude and machete of shrub felling, the treasure you seek is on the road less taken.

I'm all for this.

1st level characters need to be one-shotted more; it builds integrity!

>_>;

If your main gets one-shotted by a Gibberling, you need to re-roll or practice missile weapons :P

Then again, if Xzar gets one-shotted... that's a different story. He's the only character that can be outright killed by a Diseased Gibberling (not really, but he should be).

Gallenger said:

Play it on insane difficulty those diseased guys will make things way more interesting ;) Especially if you're playing a softy with 4-6 hp...

They still can't kill you. They were boxing mitts. How the hell do the things hunt anyway? Are they vegetarian? They can't kill anything.
    @Space_Hamster
    Do as you please, mr. roleplayer to the core :). Just remind you, that 20-years old adventurer with zero experience (both in-game and personal) should look for party first, then for trouble. At least that's common sense.

@HaHaCharade
    Well, to be honest I disagree with this "request" exactly because I consider it pointless and stupid. Pointless because DG's aren't breaking the game whatsoever, they spawn like in 2 areas and I doubt they are worthy developer's attention . And stupid, because your request can be summed up like this: "I don't like it, so no one should have it in game. Throw it away!"

Truth to be told, you could have requested diseased verions of gibberlings dissapear on higher difficulties, but you haven't even thought about something that simple... That would by much better suggestion/request. But what's said is said.

@Space_Hamster
    Do as you please, mr. roleplayer to the core :). Just remind you, that 20-years old adventurer with zero experience (both in-game and personal) should look for party first, then for trouble. At least that's common sense.

@HaHaCharade
    Well, to be honest I disagree with this "request" exactly because I consider it pointless and stupid. Pointless because DG's aren't breaking the game whatsoever, they spawn like in 2 areas and I doubt they are worthy developer's attention . And stupid, because your request can be summed up like this: "I don't like it, so no one should have it in game. Throw it away!"

Truth to be told, you could have requested diseased verions of gibberlings dissapear on higher difficulties, but you haven't even thought about something that simple... That would by much better suggestion/request. But what's said is said.

1) I never said they were breaking the game. I said *they* (The Diseased Gibberlings) didn't make a whole lot of sense. Tried to say it in a funny way that some folks got but apparently translated to you as a demand. Now I'm no developer but it doesn't seem to be a lot of effort to replace a Diseased Gibberling with a proper Gibberling but I digress.

2)I posted a Feature request (That's request, not demand) in a forum (a place of discussion) so it could be talked over.

See ya

How is that a better suggestion? How many Diseased Gibberlings are there in the entire game? 5? 6?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2012

@HaHaCharade

circular reasoning and strawmen abound.
    the request is legitimate - if you can't rationally explain why you don't like the idea, you're entitled to say 'i don't like the idea, doesn't feel right to me' and leave it at that
    making yourself look bigger by allying yourself with a phantom authority while baselessly calling other people's ideas illegitimate and unworthy is so pathetic.
    stop trolling and grow up.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    I don't like the idea, doesn't feel right to me.
    You know I like kill easy monsters especially when there is a lot of them.
    Sad Diseased Gibberlings that can only hunt for rabbits and be hunted by charname.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    encountering extra easy mobs is not that huge a problem for me, but how does one explain them not killing you?
    @bob_veng
    It's not my fault that you don't understand what I've said. Because, you know, I already explained it all... But if for you sitiuation in which only one person wants to cut some content for everyone, while not considering any other possibility seems legit, then I doubt even FEV will help you.

@HaHaCharade
    It is better suggestion in one way. Basically, if you don't want these "monsters for newbies" to appear. then icrease difficulty setting. That one so simple solution could possibily make everyone happy. But, as I said, you haven't considered any other alternative solutions, so really, you're not one to question other's alternative ideas. Because they actually made one.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Oh my goodness, HaHaCharade. Accept the fact that you made a feature request that is needless edit. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Accept the fact that EVERYONE ELSE disagrees with you and there is literally NO POINT in arguing further.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    I like diseased gibberlings. I like rabid wolves. I like tiny squishable spiders just as well as terrifying sword spiders. I like half-naked half-starved beggars on the streets.
    Because sometimes, people get down on their luck and starve, spiders come in many varieties, wolves sometimes get rabies, and gibblerlings sometimes get sick.
    They are little details that make the the world of Baldur's Gate alive. They don't have to have an impact on difficulty of your battles; they don't really have to have any impact on your adventure at all. After all, battle is only a part of RPG - important one, but not The Only Thing That Matters.
    Quartz said:

Oh my goodness, HaHaCharade. Accept the fact that you made a feature request that is needless edit. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Accept the fact that EVERYONE ELSE disagrees with you and there is literally NO POINT in arguing further.

Not arguing, just defending myself really. I didn't expect a DISEASED GIBBERLING FIRESTORM. The little guys must be loved. I just ask that people make legitimate points when disagreeing rather then just using the terms "pointless" and "stupid" and acting like that's all that needs to be said.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    There was no firestorm. Don't try to paint yourself as some sort of victim or martyr. If you feel dogpiled, okay, but the above is not even a particularly heated argument.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    They are diseased. Obviously as they swipe at you their fingers and claws just snap off hence they have to resort to clubbing you with the remains of their hands.

Best to just put them out of their misery really.

Dieseased Gibberlings are doomed creatures: they are in pain, and there's no cure for their illness, because no one cares to produce it. They are not intelligent: they don't skreak into put fear in your heart, they skerak because they are afraid to pass their contagion on you, and they want to warn you, somehow... But they don't know how to do it, because they don't speak the common language of Faerûn.

They just run around, and when you, mercilessly, start firing arrows at them, they understand that they're going to die, and come to you with tears in their eyes and joy in their hearts, because they know you're putting them out of their misery. They try to touch and caress you, but the illness makes their movements awkwards, and sometimes they injure those who they would want to thank.

I have heard a lot of stories in taverns where adventurers boast of the high numbers of diseased gibberlings they have murdered, but I have never heard, my friend, a single story of a single man that was killed by a single, diseased gibberling.

LOL Too funny
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited October 2012
    . I shall weep for all diseased gibberlings, a truly tortured accursed creature.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    We've all had bad ideas and there's nothing wrong with making a mistake. HaHaCharade has made valuable contributions to this forum and one bad post shouldn't turn us against us each other.

Remember, it's not the post that's causing this infighting:

It's the disease.