Skip to content

Background noises and paintings

LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
There seems to be some sort of Irish connection with whoever made BG1. There is the flaming fist soldier called Fergus who wants an angel skIn ring - he's one of the few characters with a name recognisable in the real world. But what really made me think this was the background mumbling that is the atmospheric noise in the inns. It's gibberish but the pattern and tone sounds very very Irish - to be more precise Northern Irish.

And other background things which look kind of recognisable are the paintings on every wall. There is probably only 10 different ones. (Talk about a best seller.) One looks familiar - it's of a picture of a dragon on a drawbridge. Can anyone place the others?

talking of best sellers whoever wrote 'The History of the North' must be coining it in.

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Fergus is probably named after Fergus Urquhart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feargus_Urquhart
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    several pictures in BG1 are taken from covers of old Dragon Magazines; at least one is a character portrait from IWD...
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Ligg said:

talking of best sellers whoever wrote 'The History of the North' must be coining it in.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think its hilarious in IWD how you can buy/find copies of History of the North talking about things that haven't happened yet in the Timeline (IWD takes place in like 1281, and the more recent history of the North volumes talk about events taking place in the 1300s). Now *that's* a best seller.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @HaHaCharade It was clearly written by Marty McFly.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Aosaw said:

@HaHaCharade It was clearly written by Marty McFly.

They really missed out not making one of the IWD villains Biff (the Understudy perhaps?), who uses the History of the North Volume III to take over the town of Hill Vall... er... Easthaven.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2012
    rexreg said:

several pictures in BG1 are taken from covers of old Dragon Magazines; at least one is a character portrait from IWD...

I've never noticed that. Where does the IWD portrait appear?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited October 2012
    Black Isle was really at making scenarios, I really love the way they covered the smallest details, such as paintings and history books . It contributes a lot to the atmosphere.