Skip to content

Interesting feeling on an SCS Insane run

I'm playing with Item and Spell Revisions on an SCS solo insane run with a cleric/illusionist.

I did a recent solo SCS difficult playthrough as an illusionist/thief and felt very, very powerful. This character has similar stats (without strength and dex, high wisdom/int), but I do not feel in control in the same way I did with the thief, always knowing I could run away and hide. Now I have to think very carefully about how a fight will go, how to approach a battle or a level change, and how to rest hidden in small hallways so patrols don't spawn. I don't like the fact that I have to hide and rest in dungeons, but I'm not sure there are many classes that do solo SCS insane runs that don't do that.

I kind of like it. It makes the fights seem very scary and gives a great rush of pride when I do beat one. Sometimes I'll think, "huh, I don't really need to fight that mob," and move on. I haven't had a playthrough like that.

My power feels more earned than stolen. That seems appropriate.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    How is your run going? ;)
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    It got really, really hard. I got to Sarevok (the SCS version) but got very frustrated. It was hard going. Unless I had 3 rounds to buff I was useless in melee. It made me realize how much of this game can be eased with melee.

So I made a shapeshifter (SCS paws). I'm doing that right now, still SCS insane. I'm near the end of SoD, playing with Rasaad and Neera. I play with the XP cap disabled (IT'S MY XP, DAMMIT), but I see why you don't necessarily want someone to have Greater Werewolf form too early. I wreck. This run is a little more cheesy, though I suspect BG2 will ramp up hard while I'm solo initially, gathering my party members. I'll probably end up casting more than anything, or using HLA forms, but this is fun right now. It's the perfect blend of caster fighter for me, where there's tradeoffs (I can get two-shot if I want to cast something in battle).