Skip to content

Would you like to see an option in BG2:EE where Yoshimo Has a Different Fate? (Spoilers Within)

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Yoshimo is a cool cat! How about some kind of storyline mechanic where Yoshimo can be saved and perhaps his Geas be lifted? Would it change the game too much? Would it be too hard to do? Would it take away from the villainy of Irenicus? You decide.
  1. Would you like to see an option in BG2:EE where Yoshimo doesn't have to die?76 votes
    1. Yes! - I'd like a way to keep him alive
      52.63%
    2. No. - If you ask for him tomorrow, you will find him a grave man
      47.37%
Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    As long as Antonio Banderas voiceacts him, I have no problem with it! :P
    *has this idea in his head that Antonio Banderas would make an awesome Yoshi*
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I vote no, solely because I think his death is a powerful one, and part of what makes it compelling is the fact that it's inevitable.
  • WinedoggerWinedogger Member Posts: 17
    Actually, I vote yes and no. As BG2 lacks a dedicated thief, it would be great to have him in the game, but I wouldn't want to change the storyline. How about doing something with his heart to resurrect him?
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    You should put a spoiler tag in the title...
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    Agree with @bugrat the EE is attracting a lot of new players to these old classics. No need to scare them off from the forums.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I wouldn't mind a Thief in the game. Not Yoshimo though. He's so, so annoying.
    As a temporary companion, he doesn't get much of a mention here on the forums. Thank God.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    No. The worm dies with Irenicus.

Although -- it would be sorta neat if the betrayer character was randomly selected from the available NPCs on each playthrough.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Id rather see something like the friendship mod that develops his growing connection and sympathy with you, that way his eventual betrayal has more weight behind it. I want to want Yoshimo in my party for reasons apart from having a spare slot when i pick up Imoen.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Bugrat said:

You should put a spoiler tag in the title...

And remove the spoiler from the title!
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Nope. He's dead because of story, and I don't want that to change.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really think Yoshimo's death is what makes him such an interesting character. You both become friends and then the geas kicks in and he dies giving you one more reason to hate Irenicus.

In my first playthrough I never thought Yoshimo would do what he did. It was a great surprise. Keep it that way.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2012
    I updated the tile, though I still think 99% of the people that come to a forum for a game that's been out 10+ years know the score :P I guess there might be some newbies out there tho
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I voted yes, but in reality, I'm kind of torn.

On one side, I really loved the character and would want a way to save him and continue with him... on the other side, his death, after everything that happened, was very well done and it would take away a lot from his character if his death is taken away.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Yes, would be nice.

I try to keep the remove geas scroll from BG once (the one from the poison quest), and carry it to BG II, i just killed both of the assassins after i get the scroll, i dropped it in BG2 early game to avoid lose the item and i did it to see if the game would offer a special secret use for the remove geas scroll to work with yoshimo.

Of course nothing happened.

His death is is pretty fatal yes, but options are always wellcome, however i would like maybe a 3° option not presented, as an evil character i would like the option of binding yoshimo soul in some weapon to upgrade it, it's a betrayer hearth that i have after all, so i don't see much of reason for an evil party deliver it in a temple of Illmater.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    But he can dance on the head of a pin!
  • Smiling_ImpSmiling_Imp Member Posts: 24
    kamuizin said:

His death is is pretty fatal yes, but options are always wellcome, however i would like maybe a 3° option not presented, as an evil character i would like the option of binding yoshimo soul in some weapon to upgrade it, it's a betrayer hearth that i have after all, so i don't see much of reason for an evil party deliver it in a temple of Illmater.

Whoa! I was thinking of bringing back someway in ToB, but that idea is pretty cool. Not what I would have wanted for him, but cool nonetheless.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I'm suddenly thinking of Yoshimo as the German spy in Ice Cold in Alex: Basically we'd just need to discover Yoshimo's treachery, perhaps without his knowing, at a really desperate moment and then decide what to do with that information. Trick Irenicus somehow? or force Yoshimo to slip up.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    After thinking about it, I think it might be cool to keep him alive, but make it an option which requires you to do something, otherwise it will turn out like it did before.
    @Moomintroll, while i would truly love to keep yoshime alive, i really would, we all know that it's not only original content but an essential plot. Even if we could change a bit the original content, yoshimo would still need to betray us in the spellhold and leave the party during the spellhold maze. A Wish spell, using his heart as a vessel could even bring him back to life if the devs get permission to reintroduce yoshi in the game, but that MUST happen after the spellhold events and we MUST kill him to preserve the main plot coherence.

IF somehow the devs get permission of get him back (very hard probally), i would truly want to his return happen in ToB. Main Char could use his heart as a vessel to summon his sould and remade his flesh in the pocket plane (as he did with sarevok), give him 500.000 or 1.000.000 quest xp points for the return (to balance him for ToB) and i will be happy.

If we can't bring him back, at least some other option should exist for evil parties to do with his heart, bind it in an weapon, deliver it in the Talos temple to make him eternally suffer in the abyss or in the nine hells, trade it with another evil entity (the lich in Amkethran), or something like that.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I'd like a way to keep the best thief alive, but as been mentioned already his death is a really well written part of the story, so I'd go with the idea of resurrecting him somehow. After all, he was killed in battle, there has to be some way to bring him back. Even if Irenicus put some sort of spell on him preventing that. There should be a quest that handles carrying his body around and performing something with it in the Sahuagin city, so that he can be resurrected by normal clerical spells.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    No. Yoshimo's story was one of the highlights of BG2. I'd rather not see that undone, I think it devalues his story arc if we add a get out clause at this stage.

That's not to say I'd never want to see him return. He's a great character and I'd love for him to return or appear in another game in the future, but in BG2 he should remain dead.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

I updated the tile, though I still think 99% of the people that come to a forum for a game that's been out 10+ years know the score :P I guess there might be some newbies out there tho

Dude, the whole point of the enhanced edition is to bring back the game to a new audience.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    scriver said:

Dude, the whole point of the enhanced edition is to bring back the game to a new audience.
    Good point
  • AnonymousAliasAnonymousAlias Member Posts: 3
    The only thing I would like to see changed is to make Yoshimo a romanceable character. To make what happens even more tragic.
    edited October 2012
    Romance with yoshimo would be impossible, he know that he must betray the Char Name, only a psycopath would pursue a romance in this conditions. A friendship could be reasonable enough.

Ps: i mean yoshimo as a psycopath, not the player, just to be sure no one is feeling flamed by the comment.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    They can't change anything from the original story, so discussing it is pointless.