Skip to content

Multiplayer connectivity issues

SkelniSkelni Member Posts: 3
So, now we're up to 2.2 I see, so I got me and my friend to try playing multiplayer again - Our previous attempts always ended in failure with 2.0 and 2.1. But we decided to give it one last try, to see if we'll ever be able to play multiplayer in BG:EE.

I host a normal, passworded game, he sees it on the list of games to join, he tries to join, and every single time he does, the game on my end instantly crashes. He remains fine.

We both got fresh installs of the game and the latest update - I have SoD while he doesn't, so I tried it with, and without it installed. I also tried it with Steam claiming that it's installed on the DLC list through the library, but having actually removed the .zip folder of the DLC itself. None of these combinations made a difference.
If it has any impact, I run Windows 7, while he runs Windows 10.

I've scoured around on the Beamdog forums and the game's Steam community hub for any answers. But all I mostly found were posts and people asking if the multiplayer was still broken, and to only be responded by "it works fine for me" responses.

At this point, I'm completely out of ideas on this. We haven't tried the 1.3 beta option since 2.0 happened, but hopefully of course, we don't want to resort to it. Are we doing something wrong? Is multiplayer still not functional? There's not much else information I can provide, no save file or anything, simply because the game itself just crashes before we can even allocate party slots. Any input at this point would be welcoming.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,882
    I'm able to connect with what sounds like one of your tests
    Host: Steam, v2.2.66.0, SoD installed. sod-dlc.zip moved to a "disabled" folder I added.
    Client: Beamdog, v2.2.66.0, SoD not installed.

Could each of you do a local multiplayer test as below and report results back with the full game version numbers and store too.

Navigate to your install folder, e.g.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Double-click Baldur.exe and once started, make sure you are in Windowed mode (Alt/Enter).
    Resize the game so it covers 50% or less of your screen.
    Double-click Baldur.exe a second time to open up a second session on the same computer.
    Move the second instance so you can see both together.
    Click Multiplayer on both, and test with Beamdog + password as in your post.
    Use one as the host, stopping at character arbitration.
    Change the Player Name on the second, and connect to the first.
    Try creating characters, assign one to the client and start the game.
  • SkelniSkelni Member Posts: 3
    Gate70 said:

Could each of you do a local multiplayer test as below and report results back with the full game version numbers and store too.

Myself (Client and Host): Steam, v2.2.66.0, SoD installed - put into a "disabled" folder.

Launched two separate instances of Baldur.exe, successfully joined the host with the client, allocated party slots, characters successfully made, was able to enter the game and start playing.

Friend (Client and Host): Steam, v2.2.66.0, SoD not installed.

Launched two separate instances of Baldur.exe, successfully joined the host with the client, allocated party slots, characters successfully made, was able to enter the game and start playing.

So both of us were working fine doing this test. However, I let him be the host over multiplayer this time, and I tried connecting to him (I realize now we should had done this to begin with). As I attempted to connect to him, I myself, actually crashed, and not him. So I would believe now that this issue is isolated to me. Though I have no idea what exactly I can do to remedy this. So I'm open to input still.

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions and explanation.
    Are you certain your friend has no mods installed. Easiest way is to check for a Weidu.log file in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Check each router has upnp (plug and play) enabled

From documents -> Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition -> crash, zip and attach the latest dump

If you have another ameniable friend, worth you both trying to connect 1 at a time to them. If I'm logged on, pm me or namedrop me here and I'll open a game up.
  • SkelniSkelni Member Posts: 3
    Gate70 said:

Are you certain your friend has no mods installed.

Friend A (our first one) and Friend B both checked, and no .log file was found.

I have my upnp on, but they're not as keen to check their settings (they're not at motivated about fixing this as I am) for any discrepancies.

While I checked my documents for any crash log of any kind, there was none. But also worth noting is that I don't have any Infinity Engine folder anywhere, just my Baldur's Gate folders in my documents.

We had also updated to Version 2.3 now, and same conditions as before, I was hosting/joining with my DLC zip being put into a disabled folder elsewhere. But the same thing happens, just an instant crash when I'm hosting and they join - and an instant crash when I try to join them.

I was asking them to connect to each other, but they were too lazy. Though I'm sure we could summarize that if I'm the only one crashing here, they'd probably be fine connecting to each other.

I'm thinking it's pretty clear this issue is isolated to me, but that it might not even be game related at this point. I'll keep prodding around of course.
    You could try the directx 9 runtime in case you have an older (or later) version. It can be installed alongside later versions, i.e. it doesn't replace them.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109