Skip to content

If you could choose only one new companion from SOD to bring into BG2, who would it be and why?

Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
  1. If you could choose only one new companion from SOD to bring into BG2, who would it be and why?93 votes
    1. Captain Schael Corwin
      35.48%
    2. Voghiln the Vast
        8.60%
    3. M’Khiin Grubdoubler
      37.63%
    4. Glint Gardnersonson
      18.28%

Comments

• Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    I found Corwin to be an excellent addition to my party, never before did I think an archer a useful addition. However, with her +4 in longbow, and with the 'archers eyes' I found Corwin to be more than proficient at snipping foes. I also found her to be compelling as a character, and more enjoyable than Glint or M'khiin; the prior being an annoying weirdo whose writer was trying too hard to make him an annoying weirdo, and the later, M'khiin, who seemingly took every chance she could get to call my character a racist, even though he saved her from the 'black pit' and let her into the party against the protests of other characters, and the Balduran army.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I would gladly trade Jansen for Glint anytime.
  • PandaManPandaMan Member Posts: 4
    Glint Glint Glint!!!

He's hilarious, adorable, and pretty useful in a variety of ways.

I didn't even realise he was a romance option until he kissed my charname. And my heart broke durring the closing chapter when he sorrowfully felt conflicted not quite believing what was happening. My heart broke a little leaving him behind knowing he had feelings for my charname.

He's masc for masc haha. As I say I didn't realise he was a homosexual character although the signs were there. Like how he says "With FLAIR!" and "That dwarf is amazing. If only she were a man."

And his battlecry of awesome: "Destruction! Ruin! Mayhem! Other synonyms for death!"

I've played through SOD twice and both times took Glint. First time because oooo new character and a thief. Second time because, evil playthrough and he is the only evil thief you can use (with the aide of helm of opposite alignment).

Overall, he's a great companion in terms of usability. He's chatty and optimistic, but his romance dialog also shows he has a heart and some depth. The only downside is it would another multi-class thief and good aligned character.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    M'khiin all the way. In a game full of boisterous, flamboyant personalities, she's just so wonderfully understated and practical. I love her to bits.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    M'khiin will always be my favorite, but I feel Corwin has more to offer from a narrative perspective. Corwin has serious conflicts of interest going that could make for an intriguing story.

There's also the fact that, even if you don't like her, it would be nice to once, just once, tell her what you think of the crap she pulls in the final chapter.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    I wasn't a huge fan of Corwin, she's a bit bland. She has the best plot reason to appear in BG2, following up on Skie's plot, but I could see her as either a temporary NPC or non-recruitable. Once she gets what she needs she would be reporting back to BG.

M'Khiin would be interesting as I enjoyed her character, but the handwaving for how a goblin can get around Athkatla might be a bit much. I think she would bring some needed sanity to the cast of BG2 NPCs, though.

I would also be happy for Glint, though he does seem a bit Jan 2.0. But having a good aligned m/m romance would be good, and a non-Imoen good aligned thief wouldn't be bad.

I really couldn't be bothered about Voghlin, though.
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    Corwin for utility. Voghlin for personality. Corwin is one bad B. I also liked that she has tangible attachments to the world like Keldorn. Voghlin is cool too though and min maxed
    Vbibbi said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Corwin, she's a bit bland. She has the best plot reason to appear in BG2, following up on Skie's plot, but I could see her as either a temporary NPC or non-recruitable. Once she gets what she needs she would be reporting back to BG.

M'Khiin would be interesting as I enjoyed her character, but the handwaving for how a goblin can get around Athkatla might be a bit much. I think she would bring some needed sanity to the cast of BG2 NPCs, though.

I would also be happy for Glint, though he does seem a bit Jan 2.0. But having a good aligned m/m romance would be good, and a non-Imoen good aligned thief wouldn't be bad.

Bland, she's a rounded character with her own motivations and place in the BG world.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Corwin is such a great character. One of things I liked best about SoD was that the Chaotic / Lawful dimension of alignment was fleshed out some. If 'the law' is formed by some wealthy patrons with questionable ethics am I really on the side of 'the law'? Corwin is. "It's the law. It's what you have to do -- it's not about whether you like it or not. Grow up."

M'kiin is a close second. Glint bored me -- same way I felt about Rasaad. Not bad, not good just: *yawn*.
    Camus34 said:

Vbibbi said:

Bland, she's a rounded character with her own motivations and place in the BG world.
    A character can be well rounded without being interesting. I found her bland. All she talks about is her duty to the Fist and her daughter. Not particularly original or innovative. She's not a bad character, and it's good to see more realistic characters to relate to. But she has no sense of humor, no interests outside of the Fist and family, nothing that would make me want to hang out with her IRL. At least M'Khiin offers a different perspective on life and Glint is fun.
    edited June 2016
    Vbibbi said:

Camus34 said:

Vbibbi said:

A character can be well rounded without being interesting. I found her bland. All she talks about is her duty to the Fist and her daughter. Not particularly original or innovative. She's not a bad character, and it's good to see more realistic characters to relate to. But she has no sense of humor, no interests outside of the Fist and family, nothing that would make me want to hang out with her IRL. At least M'Khiin offers a different perspective on life and Glint is fun.
    If the brain could have hemorrhoids, they would be called "Glint". The fact of the matter is this, the character is not bland (there is no reason to think so) you just don't like her.
    Post edited by Camus34 on
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Corwin has lost some points for me recently. Trying to keep her in a party consisting of CHARNAME, Safana, Edwin, Viconia and Dorn. She has questioned Viconia's motives at least once, but there is no progress related to that. Instead, she repeatedly says some aggressive at odd times, and the others seem to ignore that. I had noticed it in my very first playthrough of SOD already, but this time it's worse. Perhaps due to the evil majority in the party. Time will tell.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I would bring them all.

If I had to choose, I'd go with a shaman NPC with druid spells, of an unusual race, who has such an interesting personality. Would be superb to see BG2 characters' reactions on M’Khiin, and I mean not only party NPCs.

Corwin has lost some points for me recently. Trying to keep her in a party consisting of CHARNAME, Safana, Edwin, Viconia and Dorn. She has questioned Viconia's motives at least once, but there is no progress related to that. Instead, she repeatedly says some aggressive at odd times, and the others seem to ignore that. I had noticed it in my very first playthrough of SOD already, but this time it's worse. Perhaps due to the evil majority in the party. Time will tell.

Corwin is lawful good. What did you expect her reaction to be to a party of unrepentant evil NPCs? Keldorn also picks fights with Edwin and Viconia in BG2, this isn't something new.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    For certain M'Khiin, but I feel like she's the biggest piece of work to implement, since she comes to life as a character through adversities from others, who see her as just another goblin. She'd fit right into the Chateau, however and wouldn't it be great (major spoilers for BG 2 beginning inside)
    if she could help Jaheira speak to her husband for one last time? Temporarily call back his spirit that still lingered in the place? I'd cry like a baby if that were to happen. :cry:

I wonder if Beamdog would be allowed to do something like that... :smile:
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Also: poor, poor Voghiln. I wonder if people'd like him more if he actually had a quest associated to him. I read somewhere around these parts that his was scraped shortly before release, due to time-constraints. If he ever gets it back, I can imagine it being pretty Bards Tale-esque, which to me spells F-U-N! :lol:
    Vbibbi said:

Corwin is lawful good. What did you expect her reaction to be to a party of unrepentant evil NPCs?

That's not it. She has said the same thing also in a party of good-aligned companions except for Safana. But she doesn't seem to address a specific companion. I'm prepared to take a screenshot next time it will happen.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Also: poor, poor Voghiln. I wonder if people'd like him more if he actually had a quest associated to him. I read somewhere around these parts that his was scraped shortly before release, due to time-constraints. If he ever gets it back, I can imagine it being pretty Bards Tale-esque, which to me spells F-U-N! :lol:

No, womanising bard is a tired cliche, and his fo-german accent is embarrassing and inappropiate.
    edited June 2016

Vbibbi said:

Corwin is lawful good. What did you expect her reaction to be to a party of unrepentant evil NPCs?

That's not it. She has said the same thing also in a party of good-aligned companions except for Safana. But she doesn't seem to address a specific companion. I'm prepared to take a screenshot next time it will happen.
    It's just the way banters where originally coded in BG1. If character x is standing near character y then there is a random chance a certain line of dialogue is played. There is never a response from other party members for these random lines.

Corwin is lawful good, all of those characters are a variation of evil. Not sure why you would expect a lawful good character not to complain about your party of evildoers.
    Camus34 said:

Corwin is lawful good, all of those characters are a variation of evil. Not sure why you would expect a lawful good character not to complain about your party of evildoers.

That's not what Corwin's been doing so far. And she says the same aggressive sentence also with a party of good-aligned companions. Perhaps she addresses Safana who is neutral. Dunno yet. It's the bit about next time I'll shut your mouth or something along that line, which she has said multiple times in odd situations and outside the normal banter. Else she gets along with the others just fine, and the other single-sentence things she says don't differ compared with a good-aligned party anyway.
    Corwin is also mistrustful of goblin party members. Like most of the population of the Sword Coast, she is somewhat racist.
    Fardragon said:

Corwin is also mistrustful of goblin party members. Like most of the population of the Sword Coast, she is somewhat racist.

She's prejudice, however everyone in the D&D universe is racist, due to the fact that it is a universe where race actually exists (i.e. elevs, humns, orcs,goblins, dwarves, etc.). It would have made more sense for M'khinn to call people bigots instead of racists, I'm guessing that the writer was not smart enough to think of these things.

Camus34 said:

That's not what Corwin's been doing so far. And she says the same aggressive sentence also with a party of good-aligned companions. Perhaps she addresses Safana who is neutral. Dunno yet. It's the bit about next time I'll shut your mouth or something along that line, which she has said multiple times in odd situations and outside the normal banter. Else she gets along with the others just fine, and the other single-sentence things she says don't differ compared with a good-aligned party anyway.
    "next time I'll shut your mouth", she says that to Safana for obvious reasons.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238

For certain M'Khiin, but I feel like she's the biggest piece of work to implement, since she comes to life as a character through adversities from others, who see her as just another goblin. She'd fit right into the Chateau, however and wouldn't it be great (major spoilers for BG 2 beginning inside)

if she could help Jaheira speak to her husband for one last time? Temporarily call back his spirit that still lingered in the place? I'd cry like a baby if that were to happen. :cry:

I wonder if Beamdog would be allowed to do something like that... :smile:
    You know, that would be awesome if Beamdog were able to make use of M'khiin in the story. You get to the romance wraith in ToB, it breaks whoever it is talking to, and while they're on the floor, M'Khiin speaks up:

M'Khiin: "It's a fake. Here's the real one."
    Dead Loved One: *Something encouraging* (Where applicable.)
    Scion: "How'd you summon him/her so fast?"
    M'Khiin: "Didn't. It was already here, screaming to be heard. You couldn't. Just helped a little."
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I just really love gnomes, man.
    Camus34 said:

When exactly does she say it? And what exactly does she say?

Anyway, I've put it onto my todo list to watch out for that sentence and any context. Everytime she has said it before, it has been at odd times and has not been as obvious as you claim. I've thought it is something she says at random times to match her character. And maybe loading a savegame has had an influence on the randomness, as it's not one of the things she says when selecting her. It's also not as if Corwin and Safana would have a constant quarrel with eachother.

Camus34 said:

When exactly does she say it? And what exactly does she say?

Anyway, I've put it onto my todo list to watch out for that sentence and any context. Everytime she has said it before, it has been at odd times and has not been as obvious as you claim. I've thought it is something she says at random times to match her character. And maybe loading a savegame has had an influence on the randomness, as it's not one of the things she says when selecting her. It's also not as if Corwin and Safana would have a constant quarrel with eachother.
    When ''exactly' does she say it? It's a timed thing, it can happen at anytime when the characters are next to each other. It happened at the the first encampment for me. Safana says something about Corwin's daughter.