Skip to content

Experiment time 01

ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
Got some good advice on here how to change Hexxat to a kit.

Decided to try swashbucker first.

Imitial impression.....seems a bit weak.?! Moderate tank, weak damage dealer...

Anyone a fan of this kit; what am i missing? seems a jack of all trades and master of nothing?

Any gear tips for this kit, particularly weapon wise?

Bard and blade kit seems far superior, but it feels like cheating to change her to this tbh!

thoughts plz)

[lvl 17 dont have UAI yet]

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Having a +1 APR offhand weapon is a must. You may even consider dual wielding APR weapons (with Scarlet Ninja-to in mainhand once you have HLAs) as the innate bonus damage will compensate for using a weaker weapon.
    Besides that, they do not shine early, as they are very much gear-dependant (As I said, you need an APR weapon, but you'll also a lot of specific gear to lower your AC, because very low AC is where your tankiness comes from as a swashbuckler).
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    If you don't mind mods then install rogue rebalancing for thieves and then the swash will be more useful - imagine a swashbuckler who is a thief by class but uses the Thac0 of a fighter.

Hexxat un-cloaked will be a powerhouse if she is able to use the fighter Thac0 to hit.

Give the swash dual wielding weapons - especially the one that provides and extra attack - specialize in longsword, short swords and clubs just in case you need blunt weapons.
    jackjack
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    `one that provides and extra attack - specialize in longsword,`

you lost me here....which longsword you thinking of? tried to hand her daystar but she wont touch it!

AM using belm on my main char atmo, in offhand. Kundane short sword i guess is an option.

if my main can use the the hla to make scroll sof tensers transformation.....

Scarlet Ninja-to in mainhand def one to go with too. HAvent got my hand on Celestial Fury as yet...soon)

SP maybe go with Scarlet in main and foebane in offhand? . Cfury/belm on main char?

AM still in chapter 2, but cleared shadow temple and lvl 2 watchers keep...and sneacked my way to belm!
    If you are still in chapter 2 then she can wield Adjatha the drinker +2, Namarra +2 (plus she can cast silence to hopefully silence any enemy mages) or the Blade of Roses +3 - you just want to use Hexxat as an additional fighter not a tank.

Kundane as short sword is why I mentioned short sword specialization but its also because I like logical dual wielding.

But if no one is using Arbane's +2 short sword (another great off hand weapon better really then the extra attack) then you can dual wield short swords - kundane gives an extra attack and arbane gives you immunity to hold and you can haste with it. Have Hexxat flank any attackers and she will chunk your foes quite easily.

Mix and match with short swords - Ilbratha +1 gives you mirror image which is a nice benefit of this short sword especially in a hard battle.

Eventually if you get Celestial Fury have Hexxat wield that along with another short sword but if you are planning celestial fury then give her katana specialization instead along with short swords; have her dual wield short swords until you get celestial fury.
    Pteran
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    The nice thing about weapons like Ilbratha is that the Mirror Image is a daily charge you can use. Have her activate that before a big battle and then swap back to your main weapon.

I second the suggestion to install Rogue Rebalancing. It may be too many changes to your liking but I'd also recommend Item Revisions and Spell Revisions (this one won't really affect what you're trying to do here, but it's still a great mod). Iten Revisions, if the component is installed, adjusts how weapons work with THAC0 (especially dual wielding) and backstabs. Certain weapons, mostly the less commonly used ones, are beefed up to be more desirable. Also THAC0 bonuses are adjusted to be a little more logical. Everyone wants to be Drizzt, dual wielding two huge swords, which just isn't very practical. A master swordsman with years of experience under his belt might be able to pull it off, but most people couldn't. Logically you're going to be hindered by dual wielding large weapons, but be more effective with smaller, lighter weapons.
    Demivrgvs
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @magisensei: Why use Kundane instead of Belm? It's harder to get, and 1d6 + 2 piercing < 1d8 + 2 slashing. Once you have UAI, Scarlet Ninja-To is better than either.
    joluv said:

@magisensei: Why use Kundane instead of Belm? It's harder to get, and 1d6 + 2 piercing < 1d8 + 2 slashing. Once you have UAI, Scarlet Ninja-To is better than either.

Mostly for role-playing logical dual wielding. Belm is a scimitar and it feels weird dual wielding medium to large swords in the off-hand. Of course you could be like Drizzt and dual wield scimitars like he does. Plus there are a lot of great short swords that give some nice magical bonuses.

I was actually going to mention not to dual wield using a katana as well because that is just as odd.
    joluvmf2112jackjack
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2016
    `I was actually going to mention not to dual wield using a katana as well because that is just as odd.`

cant agree on that. if humans had str of 20/dex 20in RL this sort of weapon would be no problem to weild.

in reality theres a limited supply of katanas

`suggestion to install Rogue Rebalancing.`

can I do this without having to restart the game am on ? Am not big on mods tbh, only got one installed atmo.....only mod do far:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/56567/bgii-ee-unofficial-item-pack#latest

(scarlet katana)