Skip to content

IWD - Money Woes

2»

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Hmm.. Well Severed Hand is Chapter 3, not Chapter 4... so I was wrong. Oh well, there's a shop inside there too... and if anything its more time to get the wands if I want them lol.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2012
    Oh. I just save up all the money I get and get by on stuff I find and then at one point before Dragon's Eye I'll just buy one good thing from Orrick. Usually that robe. I freaking love that robe. I play mage-heavy parties so yeah. I just suck it up and resign myself to the fact I'll only be able to afford one thing. ...Also to get more money, I pick up EVERYTHING THAT ANY ENEMY EVER DROPS EVEN IF ITS ONLY WORTH ONE GOLD. I will encumber myself as much as I can and then get going. Sometimes I revisit a map multiple times to get all the dropped stuff.
    Moomintroll

Oh. I just save up all the money I get and get by on stuff I find and then at one point before Dragon's Eye I'll just buy one good thing from Orrick. Usually that robe. I freaking love that robe. I play mage-heavy parties so yeah. I just suck it up and resign myself to the fact I'll only be able to afford one thing. ...Also to get more money, I pick up EVERYTHING THAT ANY ENEMY EVER DROPS EVEN IF ITS ONLY WORTH ONE GOLD. I will encumber myself as much as I can and then get going. Sometimes I revisit a map multiple times to get all the dropped stuff.

Yeah - I'm a total packrat. I do the same thing. But I also massacre Yetis by the hundreds to make ends meet, lol.
    Moomintroll
    edited November 2012
    Found a kind of cheesey way for making money in IWD.... Far better then mass Yeti slaying, and still not using cheats (tho you could call it an exploit I suppose).

Use the Jester's Bag of Holding to create an item after sleeping. Reload until you have it create a stack of x20 Cursed Oils of Speed. Seems to happen decently frequently for me. This stack of 20 can be sold for 1200 gold to Oswald Fiddlebender in Kuldahar. Save up a full inventory of stacks and thats 19,200 gold. Not bad. Other vendors show buying them for far more but they are grayed out (won't buy the potions). Perhaps some of the later-game vendors will buy them but I'm not to them yet on this run through.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

Oh dear, that's hardcore! We got a badass here... My respect! :p
    HaHaCharade
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

Found a kind of cheesey way for making money in IWD.... Far better then mass Yeti slaying, and still not using cheats (tho you could call it an exploit I suppose).

Use the Jester's Bag of Holding to create an item after sleeping. Reload until you have it create a stack of x20 Cursed Oils of Speed. Seems to happen decently frequently for me. This stack of 20 can be sold for 1200 gold to Oswald Fiddlebender in Kuldahar. Save up a full inventory of stacks and thats 19,200 gold. Not bad. Other vendors show buying them for far more but they are grayed out (won't buy the potions). Perhaps some of the later-game vendors will buy them but I'm not to them yet on this run through.

I'm definitely going to try that out! Way more creative than just cheating in teh goldz. :D

HaHaCharade
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited November 2012
    I may try that jester's bag trick as well as i just started a new game after not playing this game in...a long and i'd forgotten how expensive everything is and how cheap the loot is. I thought the yeti furs were worth more than 50bucks each for some reason.
    Then again, i thought i had only d-loaded a wide screen mod for it and to my shock and dismay, after seeing that everything is too small for my old eyes to see properly with the screen @ the res i chose(not sure if it was 1024X768 or the next higher one), i returned to 800X600...but everything moves at light speed which is anoying as hell as i have 0 time to cast any spells before i'm engaged and no clue how to fix it. THAT is the problem with mods often, getting results you don't want with no knowledge of how to get rid of it.

I may try that jester's bag trick as well as i just started a new game after not playing this game in...a long and i'd forgotten how expensive everything is and how cheap the loot is. I thought the yeti furs were worth more than 50bucks each for some reason.
    Then again, i thought i had only d-loaded a wide screen mod for it and to my shock and dismay, after seeing that everything is too small for my old eyes to see properly with the screen @ the res i chose(not sure if it was 1024X768 or the next higher one), i returned to 800X600...but everything moves at light speed which is anoying as hell as i have 0 time to cast any spells before i'm engaged and no clue how to fix it. THAT is the problem with mods often, getting results you don't want with no knowledge of how to get rid of it.

After careful review, its pretty tedious . There's about 30 items that can pop so its a lot of reloading. But it still worked for me. That and Yeti Genocide. Its supposedly a bug (the 20 oils) and if you have one of the later fix packs, I can't guarantee it will work.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I'm still trying to find out how to fix my "chipmunk punk"(for those old enough to remember what that means lol) character and critter speeds. Its getting ridiculous now that i'm in the Vale of shadows(after Kuldahar). I can't remember the other site that worked on mods as i d-loaded from gibberlings 3 and their forums don't seem very active. If someone knows the name of this other site, let me know will ya? thanks
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've never really been bothered by the money, because most of those high-ticket items are good, but not great.

What does bother me, is that there are just not enough scrolls to support more than one arcane caster. I've got a run going where I had one bard and one mage, and I was having to just divide different kinds of spells between them - for example one gets the fireball, the other gets the skull trap. I've not seen more than one fireball scroll in the whole game. It's kind of ridiculous.
    Adding to this one for the simple fact that now, with the EE, I think the money situation in IWD has actually gotten worse....

2500 gold and 10 yeti pelts for Yeti Armor? Who can afford this on top of all his other gear. Also, his gear changes, so good luck getting your armor and another item before you progress too far. :-/

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited March 2018
    Quite surprisingly, on my solo Ranger/Cleric playthrough, I'm facing the exact opposite situation as described by this thread. :D

Just after I finished Dragon's Eye, I checked my inventory to find that I've legitimately got over 100,000 (Yes, that's a hundred thousand, no mistakes in the number of zeros) gold pieces in my inventory. After I finish the Severed Hand, I guess that'll increase by another 30 to 50 thousand. I'm currently away from my computer, so I'll post a screenshot later to show it.

The fact is that my R/C's inability to use bladed weapons makes me sell all those weapons and other unusable loot. That way I amassed a huge fortune. In fact, I don't know what I'll do with so much gold. I'll save it for later on, as of now, because I don't find anything in the shops worth buying for my R/C. He's playing better than a 6-membered party. This solo is fun! B)
    edited March 2018

What does bother me, is that there are just not enough scrolls to support more than one arcane caster. I've got a run going where I had one bard and one mage, and I was having to just divide different kinds of spells between them - for example one gets the fireball, the other gets the skull trap. I've not seen more than one fireball scroll in the whole game. It's kind of ridiculous.

That's why it's so important to have a Sorcerer, if you're planning to play more than one Arcane spellcaster. :)
    edited March 2018
    Look here! A legitimately earned 157,984 gold pieces after completing the Severed Hand! B)

Timbo0o0o0
  • AldebaraanAldebaraan Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2022
    I found a much better way to grind for money than yetis:
    The orogs in krillag's cave spawn in groups of 5. Each carries a high quality 2H sword.
    Those swords sell for 50-200g so each encounter yields 250-1000g.
    If you use the bag of holding you can sell them all for 200g each in a fresh merchant (conlan or that elf merchant in the severed hand)
    i was using the bottomless bag of holding from The Tweaks Anthology and managed to get 500 before selling them all to the elf.
    Post edited by Aldebaraan on
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The easiest way to get gold early on in IWD is to sell magic items. The Ring of Shadows alone sells for almost 10000 gold, and the Wand of Armory sells for almost as much. And then you can sell the various +1 weapons you got that you don't have proficiency in.

Only a couple of the magic items sold in Kuldahar are worth buying anyway. I don't recommend you buy any of the +3 weapons Conlan sells, except maybe one of the cheaper ones like the Love of Black Bess if you have proficiency in it.

If you sell the items you don't need and only buy the most important magic items, you shouldn't have to farm yetis at all.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    That, more than anything else. IWD has more magic items than a reasonable party can use and the most effective ones are found "for free" anyway (Messenger of Sseth, Snow Maiden's Reaver, Serrated Bone Sword, etc)
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    Old thread but some new additions, just wanted to add my 2c. As OlvynChuru syas, Conlan's items are kind of a trap for the most part. Generally speaking, the best investments for stores in all these IE games are non-weapon, non-armors that everyone can use -- i.e. necklaces, ring, boots, etc. Since you generally have a party of six, you can keep these items around on your party for much longer than a +3 long sword that you eventually end up upgrading from a dungeon find.

Even if you *do* invest in a weapon or armor, you ought to make sure it has some key modifier beyond a mere enchantment increase. Not just some situational modifier.

I also find healing potions and some other consumables to be great investments. Frees up space for more fun cleric spells, prevents the need to rest spam and/or can really save a character's butt in a difficult combat situation.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ironically i have never found money to be an issue in IWD, especially if the team mate who is buying/selling has 18 CHA you get a discount on buying goods

plus when i hit late game with a team of 6 i've already bought everything possible i could possibly buy and would usually hit well over 100 000 if not 200 000

so now when i hit chapter 5 or so, i start storing all those pretty expensive items so when i import to HoW i can sell all those expensive items there to start HoW with well over 100 000, very useful