Skip to content

No music in game

MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
When I launch the game, there is no music on the start screens nor is there any music in the game itself. There are no other problems with sound in the game, in the movies and so on. I've looked about the forum but haven't really found anything useful. Could you help me out please?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2016
    So to clarify you get sound in movies but not in menus or when actually playing the game. Does that include no sound when clicking on buttons as well as no sounds for voices and the background?

What operating system are you running? Also have you changed the settings under the sounds settings at all?
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    I'm running the game on Windows 7 and the only change I've made in the sound settings was to try to turn up the volume for 'music' to see if that would help. And yes, all sound is playing in movies and I get the background sounds in inns, towns, wilderness, voices in dialogues and so on.

There is no music in the menus, but I do hear the clicking sound on buttons. There is sound when the Dungeons & Dragons / Beamdog logos load, and then silence. Also, as I wrote in my first post, there is absolutely no music in the game itself, no combat music and so on.

Just now, I tried to test the problem by installing the mod NPC Project Music and I got the occasional music sequence when banter was initiated (I haven't used the mod before so I'm not sure how often it is meant to play music). I un-installed the mod again but that didn't change anything.
    Can you attach your dxdiag? Also are you using the latest drivers for your sound card?
    The drivers are listed as the latest release. I also tried to remove them and reinstall them but still the same version. I've attached the dxdiag.
    Did that help you figure something out, @elminster ?
    Are you using any kind of 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?
    Nope, not at all.
    I was wondering if for some reason the music files were missing from the folder. What should I be seeing in the 00766 and music folders that could be relevant to this?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    There should be ACM files in the music folders.

You could try NearInfinity http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/30593/new-versions-of-nearinfinity-available. Once installed, select Game -> Open Game and navigate to your 00766 folder. Select the chitin.key file.

With that done, you should get a folder structure in the left pane. Expand music and locate an ACM file with a blue triangle to the left of it. Select that and click the green triangle. You should then hear the music.
    Thanks @Gate70 I've now tried that and I guess the problem has been located since it says Music - 0 and I can't expand that folder further. Is there some way to repair the installation without losing my current saved game and the mods I've installed and configured...? I sure hope so! :-)

Btw, I made a copy of chitin.key before installing mods but it also says Music - 0 in NearInfinity.
    @Gate70 @elminster
    Could you tell me if it is possible to somehow repair my installation or in some other way make the music work?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    With the launcher and game closed, delete the 766.beam and 766.status files. Restart the launcher and install the game. It should validate existing content and update any files which do not match the latest version.

n.b. this will clear any mod content.
    If anyone else should encounter this problem, it seems to have worked to simply install the game in another folder and then copy the contents of the music folder into the existing empty music folder. That way I didn't have to go through the hassle of reinstalling and configuring mods, and the music is now playing in the game as it should.

Thanks for your help!