Skip to content

If Glint, Corwin and Co. would make it into BG2, what would it be like? [SPOILERS]

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
The new companions in SoD have arguably been the biggest success of the new game and there is of course a demand among us fans to see some of them make a comeback in BG2.

But since sadly both Foley and Scott left the team now, we probably gonna have to wait a long time for their inclusion ... if they'd ever make it.

Alas, one can still dream.
So what are your ideas for possible stories, quests, character development, etc.?

And don't be afraid to go over board. The sky* is the limit!
* Though more likely hell, in this case >.>
Post edited by Buttercheese on

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I can't imagine Corwin coming to BG2. She's so tied to the goings on of Baldur's Gate and she has a job there - I'm not sure there's a whole heck of a lot to her besides that aspect of her character.

I haven't really played with Glint and co. I met Glint and he seemed one note hype guy. I guess he could fit in to BG2. The goblin seemed like she would be fine in BG2 as well. None seems likely to have a whole lot going on that would prevent them from deciding to accompany CHARNAME besides Corwin.
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    Corwin as captain if not more now, she could probably make it, she removed all those naive feelings from her head, and all she thinks about now is her job and her daughter. The rest does not matter. Sent from BG to revenge skie against her will, she will fall again for CHARNAME and they will be hunted by the madness of silvershied who still doesn't get it was his fault. Corwin will be like an archer with many connections to trigger fights between BG and the city of the coin.

The rest i don't know. Weaks and drunks don't go too far.

M'khliin in a prison from where she will get freedom because of CHARNAME, often you will get abused about her if not attacked by random groups making the game more interesting. Lost in that madness of hate she will leave your party and make her own town where she welcome you.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited July 2016
    My choice:

M'kiiln. New class, new race, the first non-one-dimensional goblin in the game. Stranger in a strange land. More in common with Viconia than is apparent at first glance. Lots of potential there.

The others are nothing new:

Glint is just a nicer version of Quayle, Tiax, and Jan.
    Corwin is just a variant on Kivan and Valygar (and Minsc). Outspoken defenders of good.
    Volghiln - while hilarious and my second choice - is rather one-dimensional.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Here's what I think could work:

Corwin: I haven't played with her much yet so I don't exactly have the best grasp of her character, but I could see her being send after you by Entar Silvershield. Would also be an elegant way to incomporate Skie's story into BG2. I think it would make the most sense for her to approach you after some game time has passed. Or she will spawn in chapter 3 (depending on who you sided with, you will either meet her in the graveyard district or in the harbor district). Maybe she can learn throughout the game, that strong morals are more important than the law.

Glint: Maybe he stole from the wrong people and had to flee south. If you romanced him, he came specifically looking for you but wasn't able to find you till now. Maybe he could learn during your adventures, to be less reckless. Or maybe he learns nothing, which would be just as fitting. I also feel, like there should be some more family encounters. Would also be fun if he and Jan where related over a few corners.

M'Khiin: Meeting her again would be a coincidence. You'd just meet her wandering in the wilds or maybe you safe her hide again. The loneliness and the need for safety make her join you again. Throughout the story, she would learn to trust in her own abilities and more importantly, to trust in others.

Voghiln: He is really a flat character ... but that also means he can go into a lot of directions. Maybe it turns out that under his carefree fassade there is actually something deeper burried. Or better (and less clichee) he now gets confronted with the harsh realities of life for the first time and has to learn to deal with them. It would also be nice, if he would learn more respect for women throughout adventuring. And don't just retroactively change his personality in that regard. Actually make it part of his arc. If done right, this could bear a lot of potential.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I actually think Corwin's presence would be the easiest to explain in BG2. Being strongly lawful, she'd gladly accept a charge from Skie's father to apprehend the notorious fugitive CHARNAME, who sources say has recently turned up in Amn.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2016
    I've thought a lot about it since my first play through.

Volghiln: Leave him out of it. BG2 has a bard I like, and there is nothing good about this twerp. Even his kit, as awesome as it is, becomes outdated a quarter of the way through the game due to an HLA that does the job, but better. I'd take Eldoth before I take him again, and I take pleasure in orchestrating embarrassing deaths for Eldoth.

Glint: The gregarious midget doesn't need much excuse to be in Amn. The wind just leads and he follows. His interactions with Aerie would be priceless, as would an ever escalating one-upsmanship rivalry with Jan. His arc would probably be about something happening that finally forces him to get serious (not unlike Jan), with the happy-go-lucky gnome getting Die Hard on some unfortunate souls' asses, then walking away from the resolution with the same cheerful smile he's always had, leaving much of the party disturbed.

M'Khiin: M'Khiin is probably the easiest of the bunch, in my mind. She doesn't have a place. Goblins won't listen to her, humans won't accept her, she has nowhere to be. Then she hears about Bagrivek, the goblin god of cu-upper... cahuoer... cow-over... working together, and for the first time in her life she has hope. Sure, it turned out to be a wild mage who decided he'd rather be safe in a goblin prison than out in the wild again, but it proved that goblins could form a society, they could evolve beyond the sociopathic childlike murderers they were known as. She sets out to find a tribe that she could work with, but is ultimately forced to form her own, finding a promising chief to act as a figurehead she can guide.

The progress isn't easy, however. "Civilization" has responded to an organized goblin tribe by more or less declaring war on them, though they of course label it instead as simple extermination of vermin. M'Khiin asks you to work with her to secure this new tribe - destroying or persuading its enemies, obtaining goblinoid artifacts to legitimize the tribe among its peers, and guiding M'Khiin's champion through the challenges they must undertake to earn their place. Ultimately, however, M'Khiin must face a greater threat than she ever imagined: a spiritual embodiment of the goblin race that symbolizes their bloodlust, their hatred, and their feelings of victimization. In the beginning, the old shaman simply wanted a family that didn't embarrass her, but in the end she realizes she's fighting in a war for the soul of her entire people.

Corwin: The Soultaker Dagger, unless it's part of BG3, is prime material for bringing the captain back into the mix. Finally tracing the dagger containing Skie's soul to Amn, Schael makes the journey only to find the Scion. As they compare notes, and Corwin learns about Irenicus and his exploits and goals, she decides to work together with the Scion again. Unstated but hardly disguised is the fact that she's using her time in the party to try the Scion for the death of Skie, using their conversations to determine whether the Scion should be pardoned or executed, with Corwin being the one to carry out the execution if necessary.

ToB, however, is a very different story. The Bhaalspawn battle boils over and changes the landscape of the Sword Coast, with people with even tangential relationships to a Bhaalspawn (especially the Scion) being targeted by their rivals as well as the victims of the mounting chaos. Whether she served in the party or not during the Siege of Dragonspear, she was officially an ally of the Scion, and now that fact is putting her father and daughter in danger. As the anti-Bhaalspawn sentiment in Baldur's Gate grows to a fevered pitch, Corwin and the Scion must stand between a riotous mob and Corwin's family. Can the Scion solve this without violence? Can Corwin save her family? Will Corwin have a home to return to once the Bhaalspawn saga is put to rest? Everything hinges on who the Scion is, the ultimate trial of the Champion of Baldur's Gate.

That's off the top of the head, anyway.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    If Corwin was carried over into BG2 I would like a dialogue option where I can call her out for asking my Charname to confess his "guilt" even though she believed he was innocent, so that the city wouldn't suffer unrest. I can kind of understand her position, but frankly she was dead to me after this. She basically wanted a good aligned Bhaalspawn to sacrifice themself so that the city the Bhaalspawn saved twice didn't have a riot. She is more rigidly LG than any other companion. I think even Keldorn would have protested sacrificing an innocent for the sake of quelling riots.

It's not like if the Bhaalspawn was allowed free but publicly exiled the city was guaranteed to fall into chaos. And killing a good aligned Bhaalspawn just prevents any further good deeds they could perform in the future. While Baldur's Gate will always have some form of upheaval to it.

Corwin seems like the type of person who cares deeply for few things in life and doesn't have qualms about sacrificing others in order to protect those things. In this instance, her family and her city.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229

The new companions in SoD have arguably been the biggest success of the new game and there is of course a demand among us fans to see some of them make a comeback in BG2.

But since sadly both Foley and Scott left the team now, we probably gonna have to wait a long time for their inclusion ... if they'd ever make it.

Alas, one can still dream.
    So what are your ideas for possible stories, quests, character development, etc.?

And don't be afraid to go over board. The sky* is the limit!
    * Though more likely hell, in this case >.>

Just noticed in your post the mention of some staff members leaving Beamdog. I haven't seen anything about this, have these departures been publicly announced?
    Yes they have, Andrew Foley posted about this on twitter and Amber Scott made a thread about it :(
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    See, I would suggest taking this in a completely different direction. Given recent changes and the focus on whatever new project WotC has greenlit, it's safe to assume Beamdog doesn't have any more BG2 content planned. So why not get some coders and writers together, and start working on mods? Use threads like these to think through possible concepts for what Corwin, M'Khiin, Glint and/or Caelar would do in BG2, and go from there! Like the song says, "modders are doin' it for themselves." :)
  • AnaxieAnaxie Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    Isn't Corwin murdered by Duncan in a rage at end of SoD in the sewers when she tells you to flee, or completely hostile towards the PC and killed?
    Sad to hear the news. I didn't agree with all their design choices, but their passion for storytelling was never in question for me and the good stuff vastly outweighed the few flat notes.

Personally, I wouldn't even try to write for Corwin or Glint, due to their romantic arcs. Those arcs would need to be extended and I don't have the background necessary to do them justice. I would certainly be interested in Caelar or M'Khiin, as they are romance-free and both present challenging concepts and promising perspectives.
    edited July 2016
    The arc I would be interested is exploring the fate of Skie's Soul or I suppose Caelar and or Aun Argent. Though her ultimate fate is left up to the PC. But major characters aren't stopped by death as ToB taught us.

I could see an add on pack definetly dealing with Skie's soul and a little more depth on the Tanari Cults. Isn't it the same dagger?
    It is the same dagger from Durlag's Tower. I floated a few options for that a while ago, but there was not much interest in the concept. Nobody seems to care about her.

I will say I like the idea of a BG1NPC style community mod, bringing in people with a broad range of skills and styles to continue the story.
    Official is always better than unofficial.

Why I'm hoping with Gaider on the team Ascension EVENTUALLY becomes official.
    THAT would be probably the most exciting addition to the game. Even moreso than the entire SoD addition.
    Agreed. We've been holding out hope that their silence means they're doing something. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely now that we'll have official additions to BG2, as the writing staff lost the heavy hitters responsible for much of the new cast and Beamdog seems to be all about their next project rather than this one.
    edited July 2016
    I'm waiting with baited breath for their next project since they focus on the old Classics and isometric RPGS.

Pretty much my favorite genre.

Would love to get something original from Beamdog in the same vein as SoD or the hit Pillars of Eternity.

I'm sure by now they have some ideas.

Isometric RPG in Neverwinter? Waterdeep? whole new franchise?

Guilty though I would pay $60 just for an official Ascension Add-on. Though if it happens it will probably be free or $5-$10
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    For game fun I would like that goblin shaman and the bard to be brought into BG2EE/ToB as there is no bard or shaman in BG2EE/ToB NPC choices. These 2 also don't really need to have any side quests or long explanation to fit into BG2EE/ToB (alcoholic Bards can be found when you can find good liquor ^^, and a runaway goblin can be found again running away ^^).
    Of course BG2/ ToB has a bard, Haer'Dalis o.o
    @Buttercheese
    Oh I forgot all about that "raven" hahaha, then all BG2/ToB is missing now is a little pessimistic goblin shaman ^^.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Anaxie said:

Isn't Corwin murdered by Duncan in a rage at end of SoD in the sewers when she tells you to flee, or completely hostile towards the PC and killed?
    Neither happened in my play-through. There seem to be a great many different ways the epilogue can play out.
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    Neither in mine, mayhaps because I escape before she came.
    KhalDrogo said:

Neither in mine, mayhaps because I escape before she came.

She visited me, was uncertain if I was guilty or not, and asked me to confess. Shortly after that Imoen let me out of my cell. I never saw Corwin again.
    Corwin was down in the sewers if you take a wrong turn, if I am not wrong, she is there with Duncan I think.
    Bubbles said:

Corwin was down in the sewers if you take a wrong turn, if I am not wrong, she is there with Duncan I think.

I explored the sewers, but didn't see anything apart from carrion crawlers.
    @Fardragon
    Were you kind to her during the adventure? I didn't pick her up, probably that was why I guess.
    Bubbles said:

@Fardragon
    Were you kind to her during the adventure? I didn't pick her up, probably that was why I guess.

Yup. She was a party member all the way through. Still thought I was probably guilty though.
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    I guess you need to romance her, if not she should take CHARNAME side because her orders were to capture CHARNAME and not to kill him, unless you threat to kill her if she doesn't leave. About duncan, i just know i killed duncan first, corwin dies sometimes but often corwin moves up and pushes you to run, what happens, because some NPCs cannot be killed, later to her, i don't know. Duncan is dead Corwin is still a captain i guess she can get away with it.
    I didn't kill Duncan either. He seemed convinced I was innocent.
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2016
    I think it was Duncan whom help me to escape Baldur's Gate, along with 4-6 men of the flaming fist. He lead me to the sewers and lock the gate behind me, because that was an order from Duc Eltan, whom believe I was innocent.