Skip to content

Well crap. Now I'm playing a Gnome Wizard Slayer.

So I was goofing off, looking at starting equipment in SoD for different classes. Somehow managed to roll a 97 with 18/41 Str on a Gnome Wizard Slayer. Can't pass up those stats, man. It's, like, fate, or something.

So I'm going with the concept that he grew up to despise the magic he was surrounded by, watching it constantly go wrong in the hands of his Gnomish peers. And yet, he has strange dreams of a winged elf maiden, who is an adept of all things magic.

Have you ever kind of just *had* to play a character, simply based on the roll?

Comments

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

And yet, he has strange dreams of a winged elf maiden, who is an adept of all things magic.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Try applying spell failure as an area-effect via Fire Seeds! It bypasses magic resistance, spell protections, spell level immunities, weapon immunities (if you target a nearby critter), and offers no save.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2016
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. Well...not exact. I was messing around in Icewind Dale character creation, and rolled up this...

Elf
    Fighter/Mage/Thief
    Strength: 18/00
    Dex: 19
    Con: 17
    Int: 18
    Wis: 8
    Cha: 9

That is just dripping with flavor. That just screams elven blademaster to me.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Blademaster_(3.5e_Class)

"Think master swordsman crossed with master librarian. Think "The Librarian", but with all of Excalibur's experience at swordplay. A character with all of a Ranger's skill wilderness and survival skills, a swordmaster's bladework skills, and the knowledge of a loremaster...

...Blademasters tend to be loners, although they do not avoid company. As independent arbiters of law and justice, they are seldom sought as companions. A blademaster's idea of "right" and "wrong" is not always that of, say, a paladin, and this can cause conflict within an adventuring party."

Master Swordsman (Str18/00 doesn't mean hercules, it means he can put the blade exactly where it needs to be, along with the Dex19 and Con17). Loremaster (Int18). But a loner (Cha9) who is dumb enough to try to solve Icewind Dale's problems by himself (Wis8).

And I was feeling somewhat miffed that in my most recent run, I came across "Lover+4" (A +4 returning throwing dagger) that I never got to use because you get it right before the final fight of the series (and who uses daggers at that point?)

So I threw at him...

Hold Fast + 3 (Longsword, +1 AC, 15% slashing resistance, 15% chance of holding enemy target for 1 turn)
    Lover +4 (Dagger, returning throwing dagger)
    Elven Sewn Gloves and Cloak (10% cold resistance)
    Girdle of Ogre Blood (regen 1 HP every 5 rounds and can summon 5 ogres once per day...so he can sleep off a good chunk of lost HPs and I don't need to make constant potion runs)
    Reinforced Large Shield +1 (+10% slashing resistance)
    Kaylessa's Armor (+3 elven chain which also gives +1 dex.)

Why all of that? Because these were items I didn't make good use of in my last run. That, and the elven chain just looks awesome for a blademaster.

Now I'm playing through Icewind Dale again with that solo character. Extra monsters, no extra damage or extra xp.

Didn't plan to use him. But based on that roll I just had to...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

And yet, he has strange dreams of a winged elf maiden, who is an adept of all things magic.

Made me instantly think of this movie sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKAc6yJI_fw