Skip to content

Ask a noob

Hey dudes,

I see tons of threads about asking the pros and BG veterans various questions, but I thought it'd be fun to switch it up. I know it's probably been a while since some of you had your first experience with the BG series, so perhaps you have some questions you'd like to ask those of us who just started, like how we felt about certain parts of the games or our opinions on certain characters.

I just finished my first playthrough of the series about 2 weeks ago and thought this could be interesting. :#

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Well done on finishing your first run...

Here's a few questions:
    What do you wish you hadn't learnt or could have done differently?
    What party did you go with?
    Were there any moments where you got really frustrated - eg a set of enemies you couldn't kill?
    How did the story go? Any highlights?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2016
    Are you planning on doing things differently for the next playthrough? Different charname class, different NPC's?
    Do you try to get everything or did you skip things in the interest of role-playing either for alignment or time or story or replayability?
    Did you use a walkthrough or play it straight?

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    QUESTION: Which portrait did you use and why?

About my first time.

What do you wish you hadn't learnt or could have done differently?
    To tell you the truth, I played BG2 first (in 2001) and only in 2004 I managed to buy BG1. I bought the sequel first because there were so many positive reviews , but I must admit that I might have bought DIablo 2 instead (Thankfully I changed my mind!)

What party did you go with?
    BG2 (which I did first) - All of them, I guess! I kept changing from NPC to NPC whenever the party was full. I remember having Korgan , Jaheira, Yoshimo and Minsc in my first playthrough. And I didn't know that "bounty hunter" was a thief kit, I thought yoshimo was some kind of Samurai.

BG1- Canon Khalid/Jaheira/Minsc/Imoen/Dynaheir party.

Were there any moments where you got really frustrated - eg a set of enemies you couldn't kill?
    Dragon fights! I had to reload countless times before managing to kill these bastards.

How did the story go? Any highlights?
    My first BG2 character was a Cavalier , but since I would explore the city and go from quest to quest without finishing them I got stuck at level 8 for a while, which made me victim of death spells cast by enemy spellcasters.

Are you planning on doing things differently for the next playthrough? Different charname class, different NPC's?
    My first character choices were mostly bards, paladins and mages. But I do remember trying different combinations and dual classing.

Do you try to get everything or did you skip things in the interest of role-playing either for alignment or time or story or replayability?
    I remember having a lot of fun, but I was 12 years old back then and might have RP'ed a little less.

Did you use a walkthrough or play it straight?
    I had never read any walkthroughs or guides until I decided to install mods that made some battles harder.

More questions:
    Did you play vanilla or with various mods? Are you going to use mods next time?

What difficulty level did you play? Did it feel right throughout the game? Were there points you felt overpowered?Are you planning on changing or increasing or decreasing it next time?

Did you use magic more for offense or defense? It seems you increased spellcasters partywise from game to game, did it get easier over time?
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Did you play vanilla or with various mods? Are you going to use mods next time?
    I've never really been a fan of using mods in games, but I've warmed up to the idea recently after seeing what great mods there are for this series. I played vanilla last time, and recently installed the NPC project (I think? The one that gives NPCs more banter and whatnot). I didn't feel like it was a necessary addition, but it could definitely be fun. I was also interested in trying some custom NPC mods, but eventually decided against it.

What difficulty level did you play? Did it feel right throughout the game? Were there points you felt overpowered?Are you planning on changing or increasing or decreasing it next time?
    I played on the Core difficulty. I usually go with the most "medium" option when playing new games, and that one seemed to fit that description. The actual "normal" difficulty actually makes enemies weaker or something like that, so I figured my best bet would be Core. I don't remember feeling overpowered, but definitely flew through some points of the game, just like there were some parts that I struggled immensely with. The game definitely doesn't hold your hand at any point, which makes it even more amazing to me that people can play through the game with a single character, or play it on "Legacy of Bhaal" mode. As for my next playthrough, I think I'll go with Core again. I don't want to breeze through the entire game, but by no means do I think I'm skilled enough yet to make the hard parts even harder. :D

Did you use magic more for offense or defense? It seems you increased spellcasters partywise from game to game, did it get easier over time?
    As I progressed through the saga, my appreciation for magic grew and grew. In BG1, all I had was Dyanheir in terms of spellcasting, with Yeslick throwing a few heals down once in a while. SoD was similar, but when I got to BG2, I knew I was in for some harder battles and magic was going to be more than necessary. I started out using pretty much strictly offensive spells like magic missile and fireball, and just direct heals with my divine casters. It wasn't until midway through BG2 I realized just how awesome buff spells like haste and defensive harmony are. Duly noted for my next playthrough.
    I am a big fan of the Slow spell as well, -4 to save is a nice feature and it is party-friendly. Combining it with Greater Malison to make the save -8 makes it good even into ToB.

Did you find good gear and then pick proficiencies to use it better, or did you have some idea what proficiencies you wanted first and picked them?

Did you feel like there was enough money or things you could sell for money to get what you wanted? The gear you find is better for the most part than what you can buy but there are some notable items many people purchase such as the Robe of Vecna.

Did you end up with a lot of extra potions and other disposable items by the end of the game? On future playthroughs will you use those items more early or just sell them, or keep them just in case :) ?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Of the three games, which do you think is best?
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2016
    As someone just getting into modding (after 17 years of playing the series)...

Did you use any mods yor first time around?
    If not, are you going to use them?
    If so, what kind of mods are you going to use? (Items, fix packs, NPCs, content mods, etc)
    If you are not going to use mods, what is the turn off?
    Sorry if these, or similar, have already been asked... I checked quickly, but couldn't see ...

What three pieces of advice would you give to someone new that's preparing to play the saga for the first time?

What character are you planning to do a run with next?

What were your three highlights from the whole series? The three lowlights?

Did you use any kind of walkthrough or guide to help your progress?
    What was the most fun or satisfying fight of the saga?
    Mr2150 said:

Your answers are really great - it's really nice to see someone 'find' that magic for the first time.

Thank you! That's what I was hoping for. To share that first time experience with the people who haven't felt it in years.
    I've played BG1 and SOD countless times now... but I've never actually completed BG2 - I've only ever done about 30%, and then I stop, restart or wait. Part of me doesn't want to complete it either...

You can only do something for the first time once, and so I think I keep delaying it to try to savour it.
    Are there any quotes from the game that you found especially memorable?

Did you find any tactics that you found surprisingly useful, or relied upon heavily?

Did you make any decisions you regretted later in the game?
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    If you are going for an evil playthrough, remember to get UNBIASED QUEST REWARDS by Wisp. You need it.
    Sorry dudes, I've been hella busy. Got myself a new job at one of the local news stations, and also started up my evil playthrough. :D

Are there any quotes from the game that you found especially memorable?
    Literally everything that came from Jan's mouth. I loved every npc I met throughout the series, but I remember just getting way too excited when I saw a dialogue pop-up with Jan's face. Specifically, I remember a small banter between him and Anomen during SoA where he tells a story basically making fun of Anomen (about a troll or something named Ano, I believe?) and it had me cracking up. Thanks to Jan, I've developed a new love of gnomes I didn't know existed, and now on my second, evil playthrough, I've picked up Tiax and loving every second of it. Which also brings me back to the mods questions. I installed the NPC project and moved some NPCs around so I could witness them earlier, and also changed some classes, like Kagain from a pure fighter to a Dwarven Defender, and he's unstoppable. Great mod.

Did you find any tactics that you found surprisingly useful, or relied upon heavily?
    Berserker rageeeeee. There weren't very many battles where I wasn't using this ability. Whenever it was available I'd use it, and it's that ability alone that would make me recommend a berserker to anyone looking to play a fighter class. Along with that, once I reached BG2, I found myself using a ton of summons. Bears, Devas, Elementals, the whole nine yards. They really help out a ton, especially with those nasty gauths and beholders.

Did you make any decisions you regretted later in the game?
    Honestly? No. Like I said before, roleplaying is a major part of the way I play these types of games, and I made sure that every decision I made, I made it with my character in mind. If it was something he'd do, then I sucked it up and accepted whatever fate that choice threw at me. I think that's why I loved the whole experience so much, because it truly felt like an epic story, and not just a game.
    Arthas said:

If you are going for an evil playthrough, remember to get UNBIASED QUEST REWARDS by Wisp. You need it.

I've just recently started an evil playthrough, and I just arrived in Nashkel. What's this mod all about?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    When quests have both an evil and a good option, the evil option almost always give you less rewards.