Skip to content

BG:EE Features

BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
Some people are still complaing about a lack of features saying that BGEE is not worth $20. Here is a handy list of the main new features of BG:EE, i hope this will help convince you otherwise.

New areas: (Estimated @ 18 hours of additional gameplay)
- Black Pitts (15 Levels)
- Secluded hideaway
- The Cloud Peaks

New NPC's: (New voices, Dialog & Quest for each character)
- Neera
- Rasaad yn Bashir
- Dorn II-Khan

New Kits:
- Blackguard
+ All kits imported from BG2+TOB

Improved UI:
- Ability to zoom in & out
- Touchscreen support handheld devices

Improved Visuals:
- Full resolution support
- Full openGl support
- All movies completely reanimated
- 1PP mod by Erephine
- New gfx shader
- New portraits

Enhanced multiplayer (post ship?)
- Matchmaking service
- Cross platform support

Core Game Improvements
- Overhaul of the source code
- 400 issues address & fixed including fixes from the community e.g. dudleyville
- Improved support for mods

New Audio
- Newly composed music
- HQ Music mod by Erephine
- OGG Vorbis support
- New voices

Ongoing Support
- Improvements will continue after release

I would gladly pay more for this level of improvements to one of the greatest roleplaying series of all time :)
Post edited by Benjamin on

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Also things like proper iPad/Android support, which is awesome in its own right. It's probably the main reason I got interested in this so badly (BG:EE is now my most anticipated game).
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Benjamin said:

I know some of this is available with mods, but i've tried just about all of them & they just dont compare to well polished & professionally developed content.

With a statement like that you won't make me believe you tried all too many mods. Other than that I agree with the gist of the post - complaining about it is silly, but the saying that a great deal of the out-of-the-box EE features already exist as mods is not a lie.

• NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    You forget the enhanced multiplayer .
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    Benjamin said:

New areas: (Estimated @ 18 hours of additional gameplay)
    - Black Pitts (15 Levels)
    - Secluded hideaway
    - The Cloud Peaks

Adventure Y?

• WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    What is this Adventure Y I keep hearing about?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    Wasn't adventure Y moved to post ship?

@Wiggles It's a new adventure tied to the Bhaalspawn Saga announced by Trent Oster many months ago. There are no further details.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    And apparently Sub Races post ship, if my eyes didn't fail me when I was reading last evening Oster's tweet, which would add, what, 2 billion hours of gameplay to the game and 25000 more runs of replayability? Man, my life would be ruined :')
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Are they adding Drow ... I don't know if I like the idea of that, every single dialogue would have to be changed into something like "OH MY GOLLY A DROW! TO THE HILLS CHILDREN!" ... would Viconia's race be changed to Drow then? SO MANY QUESTIONS. Perhaps Half-Drow?
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    If they did add more things, I'd like them to flesh out the area further east. There's some cool stuff like Snakewood and the Troll Mountains... but I doubt they'd add that much more content to the game :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    - iPad and Android tablet support
    - Multiplayer that isn't bug-ridden, supposedly
    - Matchmaking Multiplayer (post-ship ... which pisses me off but oh well)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

Don't forget to mention gutted source code, which removed a ton of old, non-effecient Windows 95 based code, and translated the engine to something that runs much better and more effecient on modern OSes. That alone is worth the $20.

Oh yes. No more load screens. :D
  • BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
    I left a few things off that i couldn't find much info on, as far as i can tell multiplayer improvements will just be a matchmaker & cross platform support - added to list

I think adventure-y might be a downloadable post ship release, i vaguely remember something about this in a tweet? more info would be cool.

Also Dorn II-Khan is the is the only character that doesn't include a new area but is listed as being a additional 4 hours worth of gameplay??
    Shin said:

but the saying that a great deal of the out-of-the-box EE features already exist as mods is not a lie.

I never said they dont exist :/
    I dont like alot of the mods available & would rather pay for it to be professionally made instead. There is of course a few exceptions such as the fixpacks & tweakpacks. A few of them like BGT & FOTD are awesome concepts, but i hate gettin 8hours in only to find that a dialog between characters didn't initiate correctly & other such bugs.
    Benjamin said:

A few of them like BGT & FOTD are awesome concepts, but i hate gettin 8hours in only to find that a dialog between characters didn't initiate correctly & other such bugs.

This.
    @mlnevese

Ah ok thx. Is it supposed to be about discovering your past as a child or about what happens after ToB?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Benjamin, that's a really good summary of features. Thanks for putting it together in an easy-to-read list like that.

I do think that we true believers need to not insult the people we're trying to sell on "joining the club", though. That phrase "for all you lazy people" kind of jumped out at me. If I were one of them, I think I would be put off by that. Just sayin'.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Wiggles We don't really know. I hope it'll be an adventure linking BG1 and BG2 to explain how you end up in Irenicus' dungeon with that particular group...

It shouldn't be post TOB as it's a BG1 adventure.
    @mlnevese

oooooooooooo ok. Thanks for the clarification.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    You forgot a new portrait pack
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2012
    In addition, I believe there was a tweet last week about the fancy (complicated) image restructuring photshop software they used to make the game screens generally look better and sharper.
    @belgarathmth
    Yeah it doesn't read how i intended. I'll remove.

@ajwz
    I'll add to the list, thanks.

@GoForTheEyesBoo
    Theres also a new shader implemented, i might put this down under a general "improved visuals" section. While the game will still not be a big improvement on BG2 it definately a big improvement on BG1
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    ''Improved Visuals:
    - Full openGl support
    - New gfx shader
    -... ''

Can someone tell me WTF those 2 actually mean? What do they precisely do? How will they improve significantly the visuals?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Benjamin

I think the "new gfx shader" is actually the new filter used to scale the image while zooming, which is indeed really nice.
    Tanthalas said:

@Benjamin

I think the "new gfx shader" is actually the new filter used to scale the image while zooming, which is indeed really nice.

Wtf does that mean?
    And, is it the only thing that it does?

Tanthalas said:

@Benjamin

Wtf does that mean?
    Take a sprite in its native, true resolution.

Zoom in on it like crazy. Now it will be very pixelated.

Use "new gfx shader." It doesn't look pixelated.

Think of it as Vector art vs. Pixel art.
    Quartz said:

Tanthalas said:

@Benjamin

Wtf does that mean?

Quartz said:

Tanthalas said:

@Benjamin

Wtf does that mean?

is that it? :(
    Are there any other graphical features like better spell effect, animated water, anymated background, better animations...?

is that it? :(
    Are there any other graphical features like better spell effect, animated water, anymated background, better animations...?

HAHA! No. Overhaul is rather horrible graphically so far it seems. I know they like to (legitimately, though) blame it on "source art was lost," but that's no excuse for adapting so badly after said discovery. I will say however, from the screenshots the backgrounds look pretty excellent. I'll give them props there.
    thanks for the reply.

:( That's what I feared. I really hoped they would add significant graphical improvement.

And no, 1pp mod is not significant for me, it's only small details like paperdolls, shield... which I never paid attention to.
    My attention was more on the HUGE background (next to the tiny shield). Unfortunately, no plan to improve background and monsters graphics :( .
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Only some of the improved UI, Visual, multi-player reform and source code cleaning are truly needed, everything else could have been modded. The great advantage of BG EE is that most of the configuration mods will become unnecessary and we can install an actual graphic BG with a clean install instead of resort to tons of mods.

BUT none of that matters, it's Baldur's Gate, so i paid anyway.

The pre-orders are high and i believe the sales are going to increase well after the release, so what i ask from Beamdog is free DLC content for BG EE in the future, that would make more than worth the money spend.
    @GueulEclator
    Here is a example of gfx shaders being used to significantly improve the water effects & lighting in minecraft :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2-L8LxY7_U

Used correctly like this they can increase a games visuals signifcantly, but i doubt they will do anything to this extent :/
    Likely they will just be used to smooth out the sprites & transparency effects.