Skip to content

How restrictive the computer medium is...

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
Where I could conjure up a whole new breed of creatures or an entire country without even having to snap my fingers in pen-and-paper, I struggle with fitting the simplest of ideas into the mechanics of games like Baldur's Gate...

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    What...? How can you even compare the two? I'm not a PnP player but I'd assume when you're world building, you would always start from a clean slate. There's no way to do the same in computer games where the world is already clearly defined. You can add to what already exists but creating something new altogether requires you to have a damn good justification for it. Of course it's going to be restrictive!
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    That's like complaining that reading a book is more restrictive than writing one.

...Duh?
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I am writing the book! I'm a player of IE games too, of course. But I care much more about adding content, only I'm just starting out with the tools. And getting creative here is like eating jelly with chopsticks.

There's no way to do the same in computer games where the world is already clearly defined. You can add to what already exists but creating something new altogether requires you to have a damn good justification for it. Of course it's going to be restrictive!

I don't really agree that I have to justify new additions - back in the days of the Dragon Magazine readers kept sending new ideas, races, items, mechanics, and they were printed for DMs to take up and enjoy. And that's how worlds grow, someone comes up with new features. I posted the poll about 'official' content to see what others' opinions were on this. But here I meant that the options for new content in a computer game, even one that can be modded, are so narrow. It's just infuriating.

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2016
    There are some restrictions but at this point you are far more restricted by your lack of knowledge than any game or engine limitations. People here are helping you but the first steps are the hardest. I think you have some good ideas so I hope you stick with it.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @chimeric

It depends on the game, but for BG, yes it's harder than other games. Though it has been achieved, with workarounds.

There are Aasimar, Drow, Tiefling etc race mods around that aren't perfect or as easy to implement.

In comparison, creating new races with their own stats, abilities and lore is far easier in Neverwinter Nights 2, for example.

While it partially was and later opened more with the EEs, Baldur's Gate is simply not the kind of games that were made with modding as a priority.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    That's true. But, I think, my heartfelt regret about having to speak through a computer rather than to people directly has received sufficient attention at this point. :bow