Skip to content

When do you rest?

Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
So you are playing BGEE/SOD/BG2EE... when do you make your party rest?
  1. When do you rest?49 votes
    1. I don't rest - a strong cup of coffee works wonders, y'know... *yawn*
        2.04%
    2. When Minsc starts complaining about armor chafe (not a pretty image at all)...
        6.12%
    3. Only when all of my party are complaining ...
      16.33%
    4. When I remember to... oops!
        2.04%
    5. When my main spellcaster(s) can no longer cast ...
      12.24%
    6. Whenever I reach a 'checkpoint' (a new town, before a big battle, after a big battle)
      10.20%
    7. No set method - just whenever feels right ...
      40.82%
    8. Each new area that I enter - you never know ...
        0.00%
    9. Other...
      10.20%

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I'm guessing the majority will be 'no set method' or 'checkpoint'. Also I think it will make a difference if you are playing or role-playing....

I usually forget then suddenly realise and quickly head back to town to rest - I will listen to Minsc complain for ages before I do anything about it.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    There should also be the standard - frequently, regularly, seldom-ly in this poll.
    I would fall under the 'seldom' section, which I really need to stop doing.

I've heard that the fatigue negatives can really stack up. Does anyone know if the penalties ever top out or do they just keep on increasing?
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I considered adding something like that @alceryes but I figured that seldom could also be 'whenever I remember' etc...

Yeah - I don't know much about how fatigue impacts things so that would be useful information and guidance...
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Should make it possible to select multiple options.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I don't actually rest all that often, simply because I prefer low-maintenance setups for most of the game, going all-out only against particularly nasty encounters (and then resting).

At least that's how it used to be.

Now with LoB mode, I rest a lot simply to heal. LoB on insane puts quite the strain on party HP, more than could ever be efficiently covered by healing. Rest is the one-stop-heal-shop more than anything. Helps that spells also reload, but I don't think I'd rest as often as I do if it was only about that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My Alter Ego Oozemaster rests twelve hours a day. Consisting of two sets of nappings and one main rest. Needless to say only the finest Inns with private bathrooms and heated waterbed mattresses comes into question.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I use CTRL-R and a custom spell to rest the party, just to save time.

However, if I don't have Invisibility 10' Radius on hand and can't find a safe place to rest, I'll rest normally. That way, I still experience nighttime ambushes when it's not safe to rest.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    'KNOW THAT THEY NEVER SLEEP, NEVER REST AND NEVER FALTER.'
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Whenever my quickest fatigue gainer complains. Sometimes its Minsc, other times it's Neera.

...Ya know, I don't think I've ever heard Imoen complain, mostly because of those two up above.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I prefer to rest at inns, and at night, but there is no 'rest till morning' option. When I am overland though, I will almost always trek to a town for rest, unless the whole party is severely depleted, such that a random encounter might risk the trip.

I usually camp after trekking through cloak wood though, as the game pretty much forces that with the fatigue system. I want my party to arrive fully rested before tackling the dungeon of deep foreboding, and trekking what feels like a week without rest does not support that.

Finally, I prefer to resurface than continue dungeoneering if running depleted, unless it feels super-critical to continue to the bitter end, such as all spent up and about to face Daevorn. Then I will find a safe looking corner in the already cleared-out dungeon, and set a defensive camp for an optimistic 8 hours or so...
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I don't mind resting in dungeons, I usually try to find a good location as @GreenWarlock said. I wish I could cast an illusion to make that dead-end corridor continue to appear to be a dead-end corridor in the game, but I head canon it if I successfully rest. :)
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I'll rest if people are overly damaged, so Vicky can cast some heals or if somebody is out of a spell I like using. Hell I end up resting for weeks at a time to get Vicky and Jaheiras romances to progress. Early game I rest just so I can use my googles again.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

I'll rest if people are overly damaged, so Vicky can cast some heals or if somebody is out of a spell I like using. Hell I end up resting for weeks at a time to get Vicky and Jaheiras romances to progress. Early game I rest just so I can use my googles again.

There's a better way to keep a romance progressing without using the console: pause the game and go make a sandwich. The interval between romances is real time and not game time, therefore it keeps running while the game is paused.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I tend to rest according to how I’m currently role-playing my character and party.

Usually once a day.

When in a dungeon and my party is wounded, we try to find a place to “hide” and tend to our wounds. Also, if my casters are weary they will be of little use should we run into trouble. Of course the “nights” can sometimes be very long and dangerous for my weary little band of adventures. :)

On the occasions that we travel to a town in order to trade for supplies, we will also take advantage of the local inns to rest up and prepare for our next adventure.

Unlike many here, I think of resting as an integral part of my gameplay. :)
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I try to rest at appropriate integers, rather than whenever I run out of spells. This means that I am a bit more reserved about which spells I use and when I use them. Sometimes it is easier than others, but iirc I tend to reach the final encounters with Jon Irenicus at about 60 in-game days having passed.