Skip to content

Most entertaining NPC in BG1?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    ajwz said:

Actually, Minsc is pretty entertaining. But people don't like him for the same reason people don't like portal. They are sick of all the internet commentary and catchphrase spewing that surrounds him.

Nah that's not all, I didn't join the internet Baldur's Gate community until this year and I've been playing it since 1999. I've found him annoying for ages, but I will admit that due to the reasons you state, it has gone past "he's annoying" and it's to the point where "I @#$%ing loathe his existence."

Sad really, I used to be able to tolerate him in a group and now I can't anymore.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    O_O sorry, I have to go with Safana, that mesmerizing voice. I just can't help it!
    @HexHammer Right? Lawd her voice is sexy.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2012
    Speaking of Minsc being an imbecile, at literally the opposite end of the spectrum is BG2 Viconia, whose combined stats score of intelligence, wisdom and charisma equals a whopping 48, the highest of every NPC. The closest NPC's are Aerie and Keldorn with 46, no wonder Viconia starts arguments with those two, morons. She'd be a beast in a debate.

Awesome.

Edit: forget Aerie and Keldorn, Xan has a mental stat total of 47! If I ever find myself in an organised debate, Viconia and Xan will be by my sides. They'll probably have to drink lots of coffee though ... or take a couple of naps with their abysmal constitution.
    Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Agreed. I don't associate myself with imbeciles in real life, therefore I don't in video games.

If my party was only made of BG characters who are like people I associate in real life, I would miss out on a lot of fun.

Speaking of Minsc being an imbecile, at literally the opposite end of the spectrum is BG2 Viconia, whose combined stats score of intelligence, wisdom and charisma equals a whopping 48, the highest of every NPC. The closest NPC's are Aerie and Keldorn with 46, no wonder Viconia starts arguments with those two, morons. She'd be a beast in a debate.

Awesome.

Interesting to calculate that, I always have noticed her mental-oriented stats were excellent. I'm not too surprised. Safana was pretty good there too, although her Wisdom was a bit lacking. 42. Not bad at all.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited October 2012
    Despite all the good work Bioware did, my vote goes to a mod npc: Finch the gnome librarian is my absolute favourite.

Sorry, imagelinking failed, though i followed the instructions on 'how to format your post'.

mod found here: http://www.pocketplane.net/tutumods
  • SonOfBhaalSonOfBhaal Member Posts: 7
    My favorite sound bite (albeit from one of my least favorite characters) has to be Khalid's morale failure line: "Better part of valour, better part of valour!" as he runs away. Reference to Shakespeare's 'discretion is the better part of valour' I believe. Always makes me laugh-after I curse Khalid for being a coward, of course.
  • Smiling_ImpSmiling_Imp Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2012
    Tiax, Shar-Teel, Xzar, Coran & Xan would be my first round picks for my 'personality plus' party.

It would be a hard fought battle between Minsc and Garrick for that elusive 7th NPC substitution.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I've absolutely no problem jumping on the Minsc bandwagon. To be honest, I can't wrap my head around the idea of people actually disliking him!
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

My favorite sound bite (albeit from one of my least favorite characters) has to be Khalid's morale failure line: "Better part of valour, better part of valour!" as he runs away. Reference to Shakespeare's 'discretion is the better part of valour' I believe. Always makes me laugh-after I curse Khalid for being a coward, of course.

One of the things that consistently amazes me -- even after fourteen years -- is how good the voice acting is, even with minor characters and throwaway lines.

I never liked Khalid because of his stats, but I love his personality. I've gotten to the point where I can't stand Imoen in BG1, but I'm still surprised that the voice actress evoked *that* much personality out of a character with so few lines.

All the more impressive because this game was produced from an unknown company with zero experience with RPGs.
    Brude said:

One of the things that consistently amazes me -- even after fourteen years -- is how good the voice acting is, even with minor characters and throwaway lines.

I've gotten to the point where I can't stand Imoen in BG1, but I'm still surprised that the voice actress evoked *that* much personality out of a character with so few lines.

All the more impressive because this game was produced from an unknown company with zero experience with RPGs.

Voice actors are very incredible people. As an aspiring singer (and voice actor), they are big inspirations to me. One of the best in BG has to be Xzar.
    Brude said:

I never liked Khalid because of his stats, ...

... But ... But his stats are good. O_o;
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Shar-Teel.

Put Eldoth in the same party and he will have a short lifespan, LOL.
    AHF said:

Agreed. I don't associate myself with imbeciles in real life, therefore I don't in video games.

If my party was only made of BG characters who are like people I associate in real life, I would miss out on a lot of fun.

Stop being a smart ass :)
    I said I don't associate myself with imbeciles, I didn't say I only associate myself with people I find in real life. Besides, Minsc is possibly the only imbecile in the entire saga, not one character has a combined mental stat value as low as 23. He's so fucking dull. Squeaky wheel gets stabbed in the face and left in his cage.

AHF said:

Stop being a smart ass :)
    I said I don't associate myself with imbeciles, I didn't say I only associate myself with people I find in real life. Besides, Minsc is possibly the only imbecile in the entire saga, not one character has a combined mental stat value as low as 23. He's so fucking dull. Squeaky wheel gets stabbed in the face and left in his cage.
    Part smart ass, part legit comment. I enjoy a variety of characters and the great range of them in the BG games is a very good thing. Everyone has an opinion and there is no need to all feel the same, but I will say that Minsc was a character that was instantly entertaining for me.

Seriously, the character carrying around a "miniature giant space hamster" is the dull one? Minsc brings back memories of real P&P characters from my roleplaying days which is fun.

Agree to disagree on Minsc.

edited October 2012
    ITT: Minsc fanboys/girls getting butthurt that people would dare to actually not enjoy their favorite character
    Quartz said:

ITT: Minsc fanboys/girls getting butthurt that people would dare to actually not enjoy their favorite character

Not sure if this is referencing me but my struggle was more along following the arguments to their logical extension. If the idea is that I don't associate with morons and therefore don't want to in a game, I find that I would not have the insane, thieves, murders, zealots, and others in my party if I followed the same line of logic where I wouldn't associate with those types in my real life and yet I enjoy many of those characters in the Baldur's Gate series.

If the idea is that Minsc is too stupid to enjoy or annoying, etc. I can get my head around that without difficulty. If he isn't your choice of flavor, no problem there. I don't want him on every play through of the game and don't consider him an essential member when I am deciding who will be in the party on the next play through. The giant miniature rodent carrying berzerker/ranger being too "dull" is something I have more trouble with - kind of like someone who dislikes Jim Carrey. I get someone saying his comedy is too dumb and unrealistic, etc. to enjoy (I am certainly in that category with many of his movies) but dull seems like the wrong concept entirely to me. I can be convinced otherwise, though.

There are a lot of diverse characters out there and everyone has their likes and dislikes. I have no problem with that. I don't have a problem with someone disliking Jan, for example, even though when someone calls him "bland" or "infantile" I would expect people who like him to express their own opinion on the matter. Both are equally valid because it is all a matter of personal preference. Both can be discussed and I see some value in that. I am currently playing a run-through with a CN Anomen after deciding to give him another chance after some of his fans touted their views on him (and his CN story line) and I've long disliked his character in any setting.
    Jaxsbudgie said dull meaning "stupid" not dull meaning "boring." There are multiple definitions to the word ... and since he said it directly after mentioning his bad mental stats, I'm quite certain he meant stupid. If he meant bland, or boring, he would've said it.

Anyway, here's another thing for some folks to get pissed at me for: Korgan is effing boring. Yes, you heard me. He's boring. He's just a dwarven stereotype. Sans his interactions with Mazzy, that is literally all there is to him.
    edited October 2012
    Minsc is sadly his own worst enemy, he is an incredibly original and entertaining character and has thus become Baldur's Gate's most memorable NPC. Which in turn, totally works against him, he's funny in the short run, but is too wrapped up in his own character with very little scope of a personality. He's offensively one dimensional and began to grate on me not long before I'd even recruited him on my very first playthrough! (and that was back when I was 11 or so with zero outside influence on who was popular and who wasn't!). @Quartz picked up on my intended duality of the word 'dull', meaning he's disgustingly stupid and the other (which is my personal opinion) is that I actually find him a bore to have around. He is a long running joke reiterated through the years, beaten dry of any original entertainment value until it actually becomes gravely serious.

I like Boo though, Boo can stay.

And agreed on Korgan, he's again very one dimensional, but I usually recruit him since I normally play evil and BG2 RAPES YOUR FACE in the evil NPC department.

Edit: never thought I'd ever be discussing the complexities of Minsc's personality!

but I usually recruit him since I normally play evil and BG2 RAPES YOUR FACE in the evil NPC department.

The sad, sad truth.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I always found Garrick interesting. I liked his battle cry, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends." I suppose this was referencing Henry V. I liked his story with Silke. He just always seemed to fit into my group, despite being utterly useless in combat. My group was typically myself (a Paladin), Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, and Garrick.
    Paladin said:

I always found Garrick interesting. I liked his battle cry, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends." I suppose this was referencing Henry V. I liked his story with Silke. He just always seemed to fit into my group, despite being utterly useless in combat. My group was typically myself (a Paladin), Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, and Garrick.

Garrick is cool. His personality is fun, and although his stats are balls he can do decently with the right equipment. I always liked to give him the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise and the Long Bow of Marksmanship ... that and his +1 THAC0 bonus to bows from his only good stat (16 Dex) meant he actually faired pretty well.
    Quartz said:

But ... But his stats are good. O_o;

He's great until you stand him next to any other fighter or fighter derivative in the game. Anything Khalid can do, those other characters will be able to do better. Worse, he's got zero utility (no spells, no special abilities, etc).
    Also to add: I think Minsc comes from the tradition of the "gentle giant," and isn't necessarily meant to be any kind of mouth breather.

His biggest drawback is that once you get your fill of his voice set, there isn't much to him in either game. In BG1 he's got a quest you can complete early, and in BG2 he's got ... Nothing. No quests, no real story outside of the Aerie thing, and no more backstory.
    Brude said:

Quartz said:

But ... But his stats are good. O_o;

He's great until you stand him next to any other fighter or fighter derivative in the game. Anything Khalid can do, those other characters will be able to do better. Worse, he's got zero utility (no spells, no special abilities, etc).
    Khalid is versatile. If you're looking for him to be particularly kickass at anything, then you miss the point of Khalid.
    Quartz said:

Khalid is versatile. If you're looking for him to be particularly kickass at anything, then you miss the point of Khalid.

Wielding a sword and a bow isn't versatile. It's expected.

He has no special abilities or skills and can't buff or heal. Which every other fighter and multi in the game can do in one form or another. I mean, everybody brings *something* extra to the table except Khalid (and maybe Shar-teel, too, but she's got better stats & can be dualed to a thief).
    Brude said:

Wielding a sword and a bow isn't versatile. It's expected.

He has no special abilities or skills and can't buff or heal. Which every other fighter and multi in the game can do in one form or another. I mean, everybody brings *something* extra to the table except Khalid (and maybe Shar-teel, too, but she's got better stats & can be dualed to a thief).

I don't mean that when I say versatile. When I say versatile, I mean that every fighter in the damn game except Minsc, Khalid, and Montaron all fail epically at one of the main 3 physical stats.
    Khalid has a passable strength. He doesn't get bonuses but he can wield all the weapons and armor you need him to. His Dexterity is good. His Constitution is awesome, he's tied with Jaheira and Yeslick with second best Constitution.
    Minsc and Monty have similar stories... Although saying Minsc is versatile is a bit of a stretch in my mind, but Monty definitely applies.
    A lot of the other fighters totally suck at something. Shar-Teel has pitiful Constitution, Kivan is also just short of HP bonuses, etc.
    When I say he's "versatile" I mean all 3 of his physical stats are worthwhile, something that a lot of other fighters don't get. Now I'm like you, I prefer to have someone who has two great stats and one bad, but plenty of people out there prefer the versatility of someone such as Khalid. Credit where it's due; I don't usually take him, but he's versatile, it's in the stats, it's in the facts.
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    Shar-Teel. Love at first sight.