Skip to content

Most entertaining NPC in BG1?

Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
Who do people think is the most entertaining (not best in terms of stats) NPC in Baldur's Gate 1? I've always found Monteron quite entertaining (and Xzar, "I wanted infravision like the elves... But 'tis more than just taking their eyes..."), and Minsc of course ("Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"), but some NPCs I've never had in my party, so don't really know what they're like. I feel no guilt about sending Khalid or Xan to their deaths, though...

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    (Quickly, before someone says Minsc) I'd have to go with Xzar. I always found myself looking forward to what he might say or do next.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2012
    Minsc for his command sounds ("Whooooooo .. wants some?")

Xzar for his urgent & bizarre non-sequiturs ("I've seen dragons with feet like rabbits! Tis true, I swear!")

Kivan & Viconia for the completely cruel things they say to one another, especially when one of them dies.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Minsc's most interesting part for me, while he has some great lines, is the voice behind the character. It's just so... perfect!

As for the great lines, it's Xzar for me.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Viconia has some pretty good lines e.g. "Male! Fetch me something to eat!" :-)
    Actually Jaheira, whilst generally annoying, does have some good lines e..g. "If a tree falls in a forest... I'll kill the bastard what done it!"
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited October 2012
    My favourite is probably Xzar, but I'm also fond of Xan's despairing cynicism and Edwin's exasperated arrogance, and Tiax's insane megalomania holds a special place in my heart. Other characters have some priceless lines, though. But nothing beats Xzar.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Oxford_Guy I'd have to say Viconia as well. She has some interesting things to say to non-evil NPCs. I remember laughing out loud the first time she said, "In the Underdark, you would be fodder for the Kuo-Toa," to Xan.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    why do people say minsc? boo is the interesting one
    edited October 2012
    Squeek?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Alora. Because she is soooooo happy!
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I've always found Minsc totally unamusing and never have him in my party. He just seems to be the typical unoriginal well-meaning but meat-headed goofball. My favourite NPC is Quayle. I don't know why I am drawn to an obnoxious sociopath, but I just think his characterisation is great. I suppose when I first played the game it seemed totally new and unique to have a character join your party who was totally needy and dependent, and yet never had a good word to say about anybody.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Minsc and Boo.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Ugh, Minsc is soooo 2001, Xzar on the other hand is timeless.
    Mentioned this in another thread, but Skie (albeit grating) is (unintentionally) hilarious when wading through Durlag's Tower, disarming insta-kill traps and opening nigh-impossible locks all the while complaining she broke a nail in the process.

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2012
    Montaron!

His quotes are just the best man and his voice is great too. Plus he even quotes "The Jabberwocky" at one point! :P

Best ever? "Impressive. I may not kill you after all."
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    The FLAMING FIST at reputation 5.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In my honest opinion, they were all very entertaining - sometimes I wish I could use them all in the same game!
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    @DJKajuru I would buy that mod 40$ cash monies. Unlimited party size with scaling enemy encounter sizes and trap concentration. A little added banter at home that changed based on CHARNAME's home fort.... *dreams*
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    Are any of them not entertaining in their special way? Like @DJKajuru said, the most agonizing decision in the game is not what your character will be, but rather who you will take with you on the hero's journey.

I have restarted many a time because I started missing some character or the other after I had "locked in" a certain party configuration.

EDIT: Btw, my favorite for sheer entertainment value combined with great usefulness tactically is Jan Jansen. "I remember a time, waaay back..." ; "...turnips..."; "Ah, Minsc, what a lovely hamster you have there... wouldn't Boo be more comfortable in my own backpack for a bit?..."
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    Xzar and Tiax...personally I can't stand Minsc fr a full playthrough.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012
    Dynaheir-
    Who art thou to touch me like you know me!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

@Figrut , they kinda give the option of instantaneously changing your mates in games such as Dragon Age or NWN2 ...but it did feel a little artificial for me. I prefer the idea that they 'carry on with their lives' if I dump them (even though they usually go wait in the tavern haha)
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Safana !
    and Eldoth

underrated characters but very charismatic
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Minsc. And even though she doesn't say much, I love Imoen's voice set.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    NOT Minsc. Minsc is amusing for about 2 seconds, much like Tiax. Then it gets old. He's far better in BGII though, I won't lie.

Xzar is hilarious - he sounds legitimately crazy, is loaded with random quotes, and the voice acting is awesome.
    Safana is funny and very very sexy.
    Xan ... who can forget lines like "Why do we not save our efforts and just lie down and die?" and "The sun shines, and I am amazed we live to see another day."
    Agree with Brude Viconia and Kivan have ... fun ... banter. I'm sure people have taken their senseless hating and turned it into slash fanfiction right? pfft
    I personally find Quayle extremely amusing ... the voice acting is hilarious and his lines are just so 6 Charisma.
    Edwin has a few amusing lines, such as his "Elminster this, Elminster that" line.
    Agree with Kaxon Imoen is pretty fun. I prefer the bubbly, faithful kid sister Imoen over the plot device Imoen any day.

There's just a lot of great characters, it's true ...
    edited October 2012

Are any of them not entertaining in their special way? Like @DJKajuru said, the most agonizing decision in the game is not what your character will be, but rather who you will take with you on the hero's journey.

I have restarted many a time because I started missing some character or the other after I had "locked in" a certain party configuration.

It sounds odd, but there's been many times I've actively wished I could skip rolling a PC at all and just play with a party of six NPCs. I've spent a lot of time over the years thinking about different comps in my head, believing I've got it down perfectly, and then realizing (1) I didn't leave room for my PC or (2) that I've left out an NPC I really wanted to have in the group.

(Right now, it's Jaheira in BG1. I'm loving her, but I also want Kivan, Coran, Montaron, Viconia, Edwin, and Eldoth .... )
    Post edited by Brude on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Brude
    Now that would be interesting. Imagine a mod where you play Imoen through the whole campaign. (Could be any NPC but she is another Bhaalspawn so at least the game would still hold together if it was her XD)
    @CaptRory Haha now that would be terrific.

Closest I've ever come is rolling a PC with Kivan's stats and portrait in an unmodded BG2 game, on the basis that he never really said much anyway. :P
    Brude said:

(Right now, it's Jaheira in BG1. I'm loving her

Jaheira?!?!?! It takes all tastes...

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Actually, Minsc is pretty entertaining. But people don't like him for the same reason people don't like portal. They are sick of all the internet commentary and catchphrase spewing that surrounds him.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    ajwz said:

Actually, Minsc is pretty entertaining. But people don't like him for the same reason people don't like portal. They are sick of all the internet commentary and catchphrase spewing that surrounds him.

Hmmm. No. He's just not that appealing to a lot of people.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2012
    salieri said:

ajwz said:

Hmmm. No. He's just not that appealing to a lot of people.

Agreed. I don't associate myself with imbeciles in real life, therefore I don't in video games.