Skip to content

[Spoilers] My take on the new expansion - from someone who played BG since original release

2»

Comments

• KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    So why put CHARNAME in this position in the first place, if Irenicus is able to get CHARNAME in any place?

But no matter your answer; I surrender without conditions.

If you like, you can check some older posts or wait for some native english speaker, to explain it step by step. Though I doubt that someone is willing to do that.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Easier to isolate him, as the guards rather than stand by the cell, guarded outside the door leading to the hallway. It also makes it harder to fight back. Irenicus is smart enough to avoid a straight fight with a godchild. Notice that in BG2 he NEVER allowed you the chance to fight.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229

Hej, why not make another prequel called: Baldur's Gate:Irenicus' Primary School

I would play this!!!

Easier to isolate him, as the guards rather than stand by the cell, guarded outside the door leading to the hallway. It also makes it harder to fight back. Irenicus is smart enough to avoid a straight fight with a godchild. Notice that in BG2 he NEVER allowed you the chance to fight.

I don't think a tiger declines to fight a house cat out of fear.
    @Vbibbi I don't think this analogy applies here. Look at charnames history here. You regularly take out foes that are stronger than yourslef. Many mages throughout the games (pre TOB) are above the level cap. Sarevok, Aecletec, Kurog, Caelar they all have several buffs/abilities that would be considered broken in the players hands, not to mention straight up levels.
    Yes Irenicus is much "stronger" than you at this point and typically for much of SOA. But he knows your recent history and how good you are at killing things. Irenicus certainly doesn't fear you, probably not anyone, but he acts out of prudence. In SOA all of Irenicus' planned interactions with you have you either already captive or incapacitated in some way. Both times you encounter him on equal footing, are when you surprise him.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Irenicus makes it clear he can reach your cell with little difficulty. Why was it a risk to let you be framed and captured for murder? If you are sentenced to be executed, it would be a small matter to abduct you from your cell before the sentence is carried out.

A small matter? Not only would your disappearance be taken as an admission of guilt that would sway the more neutral parties against you, the Grand Dukes would practically be obligated to hunt you down. Which is exactly the sort of attention Irenicus doesn't want.
    Vbibbi
    shawne said:

Irenicus makes it clear he can reach your cell with little difficulty. Why was it a risk to let you be framed and captured for murder? If you are sentenced to be executed, it would be a small matter to abduct you from your cell before the sentence is carried out.

A small matter? Not only would your disappearance be taken as an admission of guilt that would sway the more neutral parties against you, the Grand Dukes would practically be obligated to hunt you down. Which is exactly the sort of attention Irenicus doesn't want.
    Irenicus was able to hide the events around Skie's death from the duke dininers, its pretty reasonable he could cover his tracks if he were to warp you out of prison.

@Vbibbi I don't think this analogy applies here. Look at charnames history here. You regularly take out foes that are stronger than yourslef. Many mages throughout the games (pre TOB) are above the level cap. Sarevok, Aecletec, Kurog, Caelar they all have several buffs/abilities that would be considered broken in the players hands, not to mention straight up levels.
    Yes Irenicus is much "stronger" than you at this point and typically for much of SOA. But he knows your recent history and how good you are at killing things. Irenicus certainly doesn't fear you, probably not anyone, but he acts out of prudence. In SOA all of Irenicus' planned interactions with you have you either already captive or incapacitated in some way. Both times you encounter him on equal footing, are when you surprise him.

IMO the PC has the power of reload and the benefit of human control rather than limited computer AI. Yes, the PC always wins, but that's more gameplay segregation from story.

I agree that Irenicus probably would prefer not to engage the PC prior to soul extraction, but more because there's a risk he could kill the PC without meaning to and set back his work. And this would also apply to SoD, where he would prefer not to "free" the PC from the duke's prison for fear of accidentally harming the PC during the jailbreak.
    ThacoBell