Skip to content

Fallen Ranger/Cleric Bug

So I noticed a Ranger/Cleric multiclass can never fall no matter how bad reputation goes. However, single classes can fall. I played through BGEE and SOD with no issues and had my a Fallen Ranger / Fallen Cleric dual classed.

Once I booted up BG2EE I get a bug in the display screen where it shows your level.

I've tried lots of methods but the low down is. If its BG2EE You get the bug. If its BGEE there is no bug. This is with no mods installed.

I decided to play this kinda style with a Fallen Ranger dualed cleric because after testing I got my cleric spells back (Not sure if its a bug) But I found it interesting. I only lost the stealth and charm animal abilities. Hopefully the bug can be fixed. ^^

There is no issue if I go into ShadowKeeper and remove the fallen, it actually displays correctly, but once fallen again it bugs again.

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited July 2016
    Your dialog.tlk is messed up. What mods, if any, did you install? (I'm fairly certain that ranger/cleric is not a combo allowed by the base game.) Did you do a clean upgrade to the latest patch (meaning a new game)? What else did you do?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Your dialog.tlk is messed up. What mods, if any, did you install? (I'm fairly certain that ranger/cleric is not a combo allowed by the base game.) Did you do a clean upgrade to the latest patch (meaning a new game)? What else did you do?

Ranger/Cleric is allowed and he said no mods were installed. I'll tag @elminster to take a look and maybe move it to redmine.

He may want a saved game @RuFF13 as other elements maybe in play.
  • RuFF13RuFF13 Member Posts: 8
    i did have mods for the original BGEE and SOD. But I also decided to remake the character completely boosted it with shadow keeper to the same level I had before and still got the bug after dualing it in BG2 at the start. My original character was already dualed but I decided to trouble shoot it with no luck.
    edited July 2016
    So basicly had mods, tested it with no mods, tested it before falling, and tested it after. Cleric / Rangeer shows currectly if not Fallen, but when fallen it displays the bug each time. I am running a steam version of the game not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Here is what it looked like at the end of SoD before transferring the character over to a fresh install of BG2EE with no mods installed. I do recall never seeing Fallen Cleric when dual classed before in any previous versions of the game. So maybe Fallen Cleric is not in BG2:EE but it was added into SOD? Just a hunch as to why it displays incorrectly. I have a feeling that if it registered correctly it would be Fallen Ranger/ Cleric over Fallen Ranger/ Fallen Cleric.

I don't care how it displays as long as its not apologizing to my sister about its typo. ;)

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    from my guesstimation is, that SoA doesn't have a dialogue string for "fallen cleric"

so whatever dialogue string SoD is using goes over into SoA, so when you become a fallen character lets say SoD uses dialogue string 50 000 (fallen cleric) and 22 000 (fallen ranger) those string values transport over into SoA, so since SoA doesn't have the fallen cleric dialogue string, it is using whatever dialogue string 50 000 would be, and by the looks of it, it is using the: I apologize for not helping your sister string

( this string numbers of coarse aren't the exact values of what the game actually uses, they are just here for examples)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah update

I just checked it out, and some interesting results, but it is exactly as what I said

so the string command for "fallen cleric is 24205) in SoD

in SoA the fallen cleric string command is in the 33000s

so what happens is, when your character is saved, the game doesn't save it based on what letters are where, it saves your character based on what strings are where, so since in bg1 fallen cleric is what is used for 24 205, it brings that info over to SoA, and string 24 205, is indeed the dialogue that you are getting about apologizing for not helping your sister

so it is indeed a bug for sure, even without mods
    edited July 2016
    Tested directly in SoA and it still did not work. Looks like this is a straight up bug. Any way to manually fix it?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    sarevok57 said:

so it is indeed a bug for sure, even without mods

Ok, but I don't know that it's a fixable bug. The dialog.tlk is not consistent from game to game between the series.

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Download Near Infinity.

Open BG2 with it.

In the 2DA folder, click on clastxt.2da. At line 32, you should see FALLEN_CLERIC. Look at that line and at the column named MIXED and replace 24205 with 32088.

Save.
    Awesome it worked thanks!