Skip to content

Why Charname Was A Dwarf

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
For a bit of fun...and I do invite others to trawl through the game to find evidence to support their preconceived conclusions. No, this isn't really serious. :P So...why charname was a dwarf.

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, what do you mean Charname was a dwarf? He could have been anything! Well I say to you that you are wrong. Dead wrong. And you should count yourself lucky that I haven't entered your name into the book of grudges for this offense. With that out of the way...

Charname was probably a warrior

How do I come to this conclusions? Easy!

(1) Charname wasn't a mage. This is very clear from how he goes about, well...everything. Think of any mage in your tabletop games. They use their magic, not just to blow things up, but to make life easier for themselves and to solve problems in ways that make the GM pull their hair out. What does Charname do? He follows the rules to the letter. He doesn't try to fix the Planar Sphere. He doesn't teleport to Brynlaw (something which a mage should easily be able to do by that power level, given that we see an assassin teleport around inside the town. Only the asylum was warded. He doesn't use magic to disrupt the ritual in the Druid Grove. He doesn't use magic in any novel or unique way. He is also constantly being outsmarted and outwitted by his foes, showing that he doesn't have the highest intelligence. What he does do is take a party on the most direct path each quest and bashes in the skulls of each and every enemy in his way.

(2) Charname wasn't a druid or ranger. Why do I say this? Well first of all, in BG1 every animal you meet wants to kill him. He also grew up inside a fortress library. You also don't get an animal companion except for the easter egg Wilson...so yeah, those don't make much sense.

(3) This leaves cleric/fighter/thief/paladin/bard. I'd argue that it is unlikely that Charname was a cleric, given that the temples were in Candlekeep were for none of the deities you can choose from, unlikely to be a bard (as there are no NPC bards in Candlekeep, and really now, who sings in a library?) and also unlikely to be a paladin. I'd also say that Charname probably wasn't a thief. Simply because of how few quests seem to be approached with that kind of mindset. The default is to walk in and slaughter things. This leaves a fighter as the most likely class. Someone who walks in through the front door (as Charname is wont to do) and kills each and every thing in the room for glory, gold and xp. It also makes sense for Charname to be a fighter, as fighters are in the front line. The person in the game who talks is the first person who the NPC sees...which is the person in the front line. The leader of the party...the tank. The fighter.

The fighter bio text just screams dwarf

"Drawn to the clamor of the forge at an early age, you have become quite skilled working for the monks of the keep, and have kept them supplied with whatever tools are occasionally required."

How does that not say dwarf? Can you imagine that being used to describe some weedy little halfling, gnome or elf? No, that's the Soulforger in his blood right there. And from there, we see a mind which is orderly and lawful, someone who trains under the military of Candlekeep. A dwarven fighter if there ever was one.

Candlekeep had a sizable dwarven population

There is a dwarf sleeping upstairs in the Candlekeep Inn.
There was Arkanis, a dwarven fighter whom Charname trained with.
There was Reevor, a dwarven fighter whom Charname worked for.

How many elves do you see? How many gnomes? How many halflings? None! But all of those dwarves? That's not a coincidence. That's a clue it is.

Charname had the lawful, orderly mind of a dwarf

What does Charname do in BG1?

* He avenges his father's death
* He hunts and takes down the bandits plaguing the sword coast, even though he could easily have just fled
* He puts law and order above his own benefit. Despite quite easily being able to walk away from the whole mess, or taking the huge amount of money he could have gotten with the tome needed to get back in Candlekeep, he soldiers on.
* This mindset shows Lawful Neutral, Neutral Good, or Lawful Good. The three most common dwarven alignments.

Beamdog Acknowledges this in Siege of Dragonspear

Ok, I haven't played Siege of Dragonspear yet. Nor even read the spoilers...so dont' you damned do that to me. I'm patiently waiting for it to come out on IOS. But I have seen the new item list! And what do we see?

(1) There are no dwarven NPCs in Siege of Dragonspear. Not a single bloody one. But...

(2)

Helmet of Dumathoin [BDHELM09]
- +3% Physical Resistance
- +1 Constitution (+2 for Dwarves)

Steadfast +2 [BDSHLD06]
- +5 Hit Points (+10 for Dwarves)

Lucky Boots
- +3 to Saving Throws (Dwarves only)

Three items meant just for dwarves. With two of them only being usable by dwarves. Why have items that nobody can use? Unless, of course...Charname is a dwarf!

Put together, there is only one logical conclusion. Only one possible conclusion. Only one! Charname was a dwarf! He was a dwarf, raised in Candlekeep surrounded by dwarven warriors who taught him the art of forging and combat, who lived a lawful life. He avenged his father, saved his step sister from capture, and despite again being quite able to flee, ended the reign of the Bhaalspawn. And finally, when given the chance of godhood, he turned down the evil portfolio, which is why Bhaal was eventually able to come back in canon lore. Because no true dwarf would take on such evil powers.

So remember this the next time you make a character. If you see your character on screen and he doesn't have a magnificent beard, then you are doing it wrong.
JumboWheat01mf2112RodrianSethDavisThacoBelldeltagoHudzyMontresor_SPChidojuanAnduinluskanArdulMacHurtololienSanctiferWinterisleZilberAerakargorgonzolaEnialusMeliamne

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    This is simply genius. I love all the points made.

Though a question... WHICH kind of fighter?
    GrumAerakar
  • IglosnofIglosnof Member Posts: 119
    Really good logic :)
    Grum
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    The chanters in candle keep sing....
    deltagoMacHurto
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

This is simply genius. I love all the points made.

Though a question... WHICH kind of fighter?

Thank you! Well, he was probably a berserker or dwarven defender. But the evidence points to dwarven defender.

(1) Berserk could fit. Bhaalspawn who gets crazy angry? Check. Also it'd make him a battlerager. But...

(2) Korgan is a battlerager. Two dwarves of the same class? Unlikely.

(3) The items in SoD are a helmet that gives physical damage resistance, boots that increase saving throws (berserker rage makes those less useful) and a shield that further boosts hit points. All three items seem custom made for a dwarven defender.

(4) A dwarven defender is the only class that can go toe to toe with Sarevok in BG1. The closest is a fighter/Mage, but stoneskin runs out fast. I have solo'd Sarevok with a dwarven defender. Every other class needs to kite him or distract him. Given the respect Sarevok shows you in ToB, it is unlikely he remembers Charname kiting him or using lots of summons. What he does remember is charging at a dwarf, watching helplessly as his sword was knocked aside, and how his head was caved in by a hammer.

So all in all...charname was probably a dwarven defender.

Bonus points! His canon party:

BG1: Imoen (kid sister, protected her)
    Khalid and Jaheira (respecting the wishes of his late father)
    Xan (found him in the mines, the elf was sent to investigate)
    Yeslick (priest of Moradin who seeks vengeance, found in the old dwarven cloak wood mines)

SoD: No idea, waiting to play it. But guessing Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dy, and either glint of Safana.

BG2: Jaheira and Minsc (both seeking vengeance), Yoshimo/Imoen...for the last two could be anyone. Nobody else just fits perfectly. But it should include Raasad, as it leads Charname to an enslaved dwarven clanhold.
    lolien
    Oh man, I have been itching to play a dwarven defender for a while now and you have just given me the perfect excuse :)
    GrumMacHurtololienAerakar
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Ah, but in the introductory crawl KMR mentions that charname is only twenty, making him nearly an infant in dwarf or elven years, certainly not suitable for adventure!
    I like your reasoning though. Any particular reason not for paladin? You don't really justify it in your explanation, @Grum .
    edited July 2016
    lroumen said:

The chanters in candle keep sing....

I wouldn't call that singing, more... chanting.

Ah, but in the introductory crawl KMR mentions that charname is only twenty, making him nearly an infant in dwarf or elven years, certainly not suitable for adventure!
    I like your reasoning though. Any particular reason not for paladin? You don't really justify it in your explanation, @Grum .

I'm of the theory that some of the PHBs hint at that non-human races PHYSICALLY mature at about the same rate as humans, but their society's standards don't call them adults for an extended time.
    dockaboomskiHudzy
    Also don't some other bhaalspawn mature incredibly fast in 20 years? Like Abazigal or whatever that dragon is? If he could charname could too...even more so if he's the most powerful of all the bhaalspawn.
    Grumdockaboomskilolien
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I hate to disappoint you but this rare footage of the Bhaalspawn, recorded within the hallowed walls of Candlekeep by a particularly unfortunate visitor, proves beyond reasonable doubt that the canonical Charname is, in fact, a grizzled giant squirrel.

JumboWheat01SethDavisAnduin
    Iglosnof said:

Also don't some other bhaalspawn mature incredibly fast in 20 years? Like Abazigal or whatever that dragon is? If he could charname could too...even more so if he's the most powerful of all the bhaalspawn.

Pretty much this. Also according to forgotten realms wiki, it says "dwarves are a long lived race...and reach physical maturity somewhat later than humans."

So only somewhat later and bhaalspawn blood makes 20 for a dwarf believable.

As for Paladins...the game requires you to steal, lie, and side with either shadow thieves or vampires. On top of that, there is no paladin tradition or trainers in candlekeep. So while possible, not as likely. The most likely paladin class is inquisitor (keeping candlekeep safe from hostile mages), but like the berserker there is already an npc with that class.
    dockaboomskilolien
    God said:

I hate to disappoint you but this rare footage of the Bhaalspawn, recorded within the hallowed walls of Candlekeep by a particularly unfortunate visitor, proves beyond reasonable doubt that the canonical Charname is, in fact, a grizzled giant squirrel.

That picture was obviously taken from Easthaven after said squirrel saved the town from the opening of Jerod's Stone
    lolienAerakar
    Also this portrait is just begging to be used!

http://isandir.com/ferthgil/
    GrumAerakar
    I'm actually rather fond of that one that came with the EEs, he's wearing a sort-of gold armor with even some armor attached to his hair/beard, and the beard itself is quite glorious.
    GrumAerakar
    Chanting is singing :p
    edited July 2016
    Little one still suggests that charname sees imoen as short for her race (human?). Relatively suggests that charname is just tall with respect to his/her race.
    Hudzy said:

Nah, she says relatively, so that's dismissable.

Hmm. It may even reinforce this theory, given she bothers to say relatively at all.

My thoughts exactly. Embrace the beardiness my friend, for in your heart you know it to be right.
    lolienAerakar
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I must confess to never having played a dwarf in this series.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited July 2016
    Iglosnof said:

Nah, they just grew up inside of a plot hole.
    MacHurto
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Aren't dwarves the only race which aren't compatible with any of the romances? So you're having poor Charname destined to be alone forever?! :'(
    semiticgoddessBladeDancerlolien
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    IIRC, the 'relatively' was added with the EE because the line didnt make sense with shorties.
    semiticgoddess
    Vbibbi said:

Aren't dwarves the only race which aren't compatible with any of the romances? So you're having poor Charname destined to be alone forever?! :'(

They are now with Neera, she's open to romance any race. Halflings too suffered from the lack of romances pre-EE. Gnomes were special for the shorties because a certain elf has a daddy complex.
    semiticgoddessWinterisleAerakar

Vbibbi said:

They are now with Neera, she's open to romance any race. Halflings too suffered from the lack of romances pre-EE. Gnomes were special for the shorties because a certain elf has a daddy complex.
    In the Neera romance there is a line where she mentions that she likes beards, gems, crossbows and long walks...
    ThacoBellmf2112semiticgoddessAerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I must confess, I have never played a dwarf purely because of the DEX penalty.
    semiticgoddess

Give it a shot. You end up with 18dex and get shorty saves.
    semiticgoddessAerakar
    Grum said:

Give it a shot. You end up with 18dex and get shorty saves.
    And the awesome beard. NEVER forget about the awesome beard.
    mf2112GrumlolienAerakar
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    deltago said:

IIRC, the 'relatively' was added with the EE because the line didnt make sense with shorties.

WHAT
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229

Vbibbi said:

Oh really? Interesting. I was pretty sure that halflings had the same romance options as humans, though. I thought it was that half-orcs only had Viconia, gnomes only had Aerie, and dwarves had no options.

That's nothing to say for female PCs who either had to be compatible with Anomen or had nothing. If only Haer'Dalis had been part of the vanilla game, I bet he wouldn't care about race.
    mf2112
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain that halflings have the same romance options as humans. At least male halflings do, not sure if Anomen goes for shorties.
    *edit* @Grum Your thread may have just convinced me to play a dwarf. I've been running almost exclusively halfling and half-elves for over ten years. So, congrats :smiley:
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    Aerakar