Skip to content

Good play-by-email video games?

mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
Hey all, here's my dilemma. My brother and I would like to play a video game together, but we live across the country and have completely opposite work schedules.
In order to circumvent these difficulties, we were thinking of doing a play-by-email game, like civ4 or se4. However, both of those games are extremely long...
Anyone have any other ideas of good games that could be played despite our inability to be online at the same time? Thanks.

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    At one place I worked, me and my coworkers used to play Sid's Alpha Centauri by email. We limited to 4 humans, with the Aliens and Pirates played by the AI. There's settings to make the game go faster, we always played with accelerated start.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Dwarf Fortress? It's really long (it never ends unless you lose) but it's hilarious.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I will have to look those games up. I can't really think of any non-4x games at all.
    Alpha Centauri is a 4x game. It's essentially a science fiction version of Civilization II.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Anyone know of any non-4x games?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Chess?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't even know what non-4x is so I can't help you there. Majesty comes to mind, but it's actually *very* fast sometimes.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    4X = eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate...
    Maybe you could play BG or IWD and just email the save game back and forth? You each have 2 or 3 characters, but play the whole group when you each play. Set some play rules like you each play for 24 game hours, must include one rest period each 24 hours, must distribute magic items fairly between characters (by the end of the day at least :p )
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    There arent too many I know of
    My recommendations would be:

Heroes of might and magic (3 or 5)
    Civ V
    Tabletop Simulator (any board game or card game)
    Galactic Civilisations 3
    Disciples 2 or 3

Not all of these have direct PBeM support, but they all have save games that can be manually sent over
    edited August 2016
    I just remembered, Steel Panthers has a play by email mode.

Steel Panthers: World War II
    Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank

The first is WWII/Mid-20th century timeframe, and the second is modern warfare, Vietnam to present. These are tactical, squad/vehicle level wargames. They're Igo-Ugo turn based. A player plays his turn, and saves it to the special email save game slot, then zips that up and mails it to his opponent. The second player unzips it and replays what he can see of the first player's turn, then takes his turn and mails it back.

Like Beamdog, Camo Workshop started as a fan effort to keep a classic 1990's game franchise alive. Both these games are available as free downloads, because the deal they cut with SSI doesn't allow them to sell the base games. They make their money selling scenario packs and other addons.
    Post edited by BillyYank on