Skip to content

Could you suggest some tactics for my party?

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
Hi there

I have created a party for iwd based on the iwd2 premade "winter rose" party. They're very versatile but I might have to work out some tactics because of its unorthodox composition. Could you help me? Here's the party:

The Watcher (vanilla paladin) str 18 , dex 10 Con 15 , specialized in longsword, one point in sword and shield and crossbow.

Kebb trapmaster (gnome bounty hunter) str 10 dex 18 con 15 high skill in trap setting

Tianya ( half elf vanilla druid) str 12 dex 15 con 12

Nielle (tiefling monk) str 14 dex 17 con 15, skill in hiding , scimitar and sling , 15 percent resistance to physical damage and a couple of smaller elemental resistances.

Lendril (female elven true bard str 10 dex 16 con 12 int 15 , skill in dagger and short bow

Farrel (halfling vanilla mage) str 10 , dex 16 , con 15 , int 18 - skill in staves

They all have important skills and I don't want to change them, but I know that having only one tank may require very different tactics. Also, some of their races break the rules because they're based on a 3rd edition party.

Could I have some advice on how to make all party members relevant during the game?
Post edited by DJKajuru on

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In general, tanky warriors in Icewind Dale are very powerful particularly if you minmax their equipment, so if you don't want your paladin to do most of the party's work, then don't minmax his/her equipment. There have been several playthroughs where I've made the mistake of making one of my warriors too powerful and they end up dominating each battle without giving the other party members much chance to shine.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    The only real illegal character is the halfling Mage. I guess just make it an elf?

Changing the bard to half-elf and tiefling to human seems pretty straight forward.

Along with the paladin the Druid, monk and bard can all manage decent AC with buffs and armour. Certainly though if the paladin has high Str/Dex/con he will dominate your game compared to the other characters.

For your bounty hunter put lots of points into Set Traps early and make liberal use of traps.

Other than that don't worry and enjoy the game :smile:
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    edited August 2016
    Just eekeeper what you cannot do otherwise. 2nd edition had a lot of needless restrictions and a convoluted dual/multiclass system.

This does not seem like the most survivable party, so proceed with caution, and make liberal use of your two stealthy characters to scout, and prepare ranged weapon ambushes with the monk as bait.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'm in Kuldahar so far and I believe that by working out a couple of tactics I'll be able to survive a bit longer =D