Skip to content

How to play bards right?

BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
I'm a BG veteran, but i think despite being interested a lot in the class, i have only played a bard once a long time ago as main character, and i think not very effective or to her potential ... Currently i'm playing an evil group with Eldoth, but again i'm not sure i'm using him right, not even singing seems to work as i'd expect ...

So acting as if i'm a total noob – could anyone tell me how to use bards with songs and all in BG1 (but also going on into BG2 and ToB)? Eldoth primarily, but any other bard flavour alike as i'd like to make a run with a Bard sooner or later ... singing, spells, fighting – how do you do it as a bard?

Bonus question: how do bards in IWD differ besides there more effective songs there? Somehow my impression is i can use them well in IWD, but not in BG.

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Although I love Eldoth, the problem isn't so much his class as it is his stats. If his Int was higher, you could use him as a backup spellcaster, maybe as a buffer before fights, but it's too low to effectively learn spells. He works as a backup fighter, but his Dex and Con are too low to make him reliable. Give him the Gauntlets of Dexterity and then he is a great archer almost on par with Kivan or Coran, but that's about all you can use him for.

Bards in general are my favorite class, mainly because they can be used to fit any role. That's why it's hard to figure out how to use them, because there are so many uses. They can be used as buffers, through spellcasting and singing, backup archers, or even faster-leveling fighter/mages. It depends on where the stats go, and unfortunately for Eldoth, he doesn't have stats in the right places.

In IWD, bards get a lot of special interactions with NPCs, as well as numerous items only they can use. That's basically it.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are people on the forums who know how to play bards better than I do, but still.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I tend to load up on defensive spells with my bards and use wands in BG1. In BG2 (haven't run a bard through SoD yet) I still load up on defensive spells but I start casting some fireballs since the level bonus gives some extra damage. With a good set of buffs bards can be effective tanks for a few rounds as supporting fighters while throwing in an occasional timely AoE spell.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Try to focus on spells that scales with level (like Dispel Magic, Skull Trap, Chromatic Orb, etc).

People like to play bards as buffers, but I don't.

The nicest thing to do is be a Jester and sing invisible among the enemies. In BG1 specifically it's devastating. When they are close to kill each other, just get out and throw a Skull Trap to get the XP for killing.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    An underappreciated use of vanilla bards (like Eldoth) is the immunity to fear granted by their song. It's an underwhelming and oddly specific benefit at first glance, but when you consider how extremely common it is for spellcasters to hit you with Horror in BG (and how doomed you are at low levels if it succeeds), a bard gives some handy anti-wizard protection, particularly if you don't have a cleric in the party.

Other than that, they're a catch-all utility class. Decent access to weapons, a few spells, and the ability to use wands and scrolls means they can fill whatever role you want them to, though keep in mind they won't be terribly good at any of it. I'd definitely second @Raduziel in recommending spells that scale with level, as their quick leveling means their spells will hit harder than a wizard's with the same XP. Add Spook to the list of spells that would take good advantage of that.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I think they fixed the whole "singing while invisible" thing with one of the recent patches. Pity, because Jesters are a blast to play, confusing everything around them.

One thing I always do with my bard characters is load them up with spells that my current full wizard party member can't cast because of their specialization. Bards are generalist in wizardry, so at least they can learn all arcane spells, up to their spell level cap, of course.

While singing is effective no matter what, I find it best with a large mob or a particular sturdy creature, anything that lets you get the biggest bang for your buck out of the bonuses it applies to the party. Also singing works best with a martial-heavy party (save for when you're playing a Jester, naturally,) so if you prefer casters, there's really not much point in singing.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I use them as anti-mages. I give them spells that remove magic where the higher caster level helps a lot. I use them to counter fear. Then in trash fights they are just archers. All around much more versatile than a Mage and I love it. I just wish they gave us a non blade in BG2. I want an NPC Bard not a fighter/Mage with meh APR
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Thanks for all the thoughts, it's much to chew and investigate further.

Follow up questions ...

If I play a mainchar bard, do I get it right that blade is somewhat like fighter mage and maybe the most untypical bard kit (i think I plaxed that before)? jester and skald are rather clear to me - is it worth to ever play an unkitted bard in BG1/2?

Rogue rebalancing mod: do I want it if playing a main char bard? I usually play with SCS mod at core rules or slightly above, so I can make use of some extra power maybe coming with RR, but i dont want to powerplay, it has to be a fair challenge.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    There was several mods with kits for bards prior to 2.X. IDK if they're adjusted to the newer versions, however.

RR is a must in any playthrough with a thief or bard, even if they're not the main character.

Those kits from vanilla game are kind of lame IMHO. All of them prejudice you in the long run.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Da Bard

Song

Plain Bard song resets party member morale back to normal, and removes nonmagical(?) fear from anyone suffering from it. It also gives Protection from Fear while it is playing.

Unlike IWD, it doesn't improve AC, Thac0 or skills. If you would like your song to do that, play the Skald kit.

Spells

Bards can be your secondary spell caster in BG. They do not get as many spells per level as a mage or sorcerer, but do get a handful. At 7th level they get 3/2/1. You can do 3 protection from petrification spells (if taking on basilisk), saving your mage's first level spells for something more potent.

A bard's spell casting should either compliment another spellcaster (taking spells they cannot cast like Nercomancy spells with Quayle), compliment their playing style (prebuff spells like luck, pfe, stoneskin for tanking), or scenario saving spells (Resist Fear, Identify, Friends, Dispel Magic) where you don't need to rely on casting them for every battle or scenario and your mage spell slots can be saved for something else.

Lore

A bard's lore score is its best feature IMO. Identifying items right away without having to either trek back to town, waste first level spell slots from your mage or stalk up on scrolls. It saves time and dilemmas on what should you identify first scenarios: The short sword +1, or the 10 arrows +1. Bards can do both (as long as Wis wasn't their dump stat).

Scrolls and Wands

Bards can use them while wearing armour. So go nuts with the monster summoning, fireballs, fear, and my favourite: paralyzation.

Pickpocket

Meh it is there allowing your thief to skip the skill if needed. Most of the good stuff to pick (cloak of Balduran for example) is late game where your bard's skill will be over 50%.

Fighting

So where ever the bard is doing, he is doing it in a secondary roll. He won't have a high of a thaco as an elven (bows) or halfling (sling) thief for range, nor will have a warriors thac0 in melee. But they can be great support with the right weapons. Unlike all other non-warrior classes, a bard can choose any weapon to become proficient in and use.

The Chelsey Crusher is a great weapon for them to use because their APR is already 1.
    The Army Scythe is also good for bards allowing them to get 2 APR with a crossbow instead 1.

Mithral Chain (Drizzt) or Elven Chain (Dorn Personal Quest) can be worn by bards and allows them to cast spells while equipped, so seek either one of them out if you want your bard striding into the fray.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited August 2016
    I chose a blade as my protagonist in BG2 because they are the best tanks by far, making the toughest warrior with the toughest armour seem as vulnerable as a baby. First you have offensive spin: -10 to AC is huge. My level 16 blade (level 12 party) reaches easily AC -17. Actually, I guess I could have even better AC, but there's no point. AC -17 at this level means almost everybody needs a critical to hit you. Add Stoneskin and Mirror image for the toughest battles and you have a tank that is simply invulnerable to physical damage. Add to the mix the ability to cast spells even more effectively than mages, and you probably get the most overpowered class in the game.

I know this thread is about BG1, but I'd say blades must be even more powerful in BG1, since BG1 has less magic and more physical fighting, and the level 6 spells limit is irrelevant.

From a role playing perspective, though, I don't like the concept so much. The fact that a bard is by far the most powerful melee character doesn't make much sense to me.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Further reason to wish that a real Bard was a BG2 companion or at least the Skald would carry over. Blades aren't actually Bards worth the name
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Psh... Jesters are where it's at.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Bards are good for 3 things in BG1:

(1) Identifying Items
    - Don't underestimate this. It's actually very useful. Saves you time, money and/or spell slots.

(2) Wands/lvl 1 spells
    - There are so many wands and so much gold in BG1 that you can get by with a bard using wands for all of your magic needs. Summon monsters and fireball are extremely powerful. Paralyze will end tough fights before they begin. Bards hold onto these and are tougher than mages. So a point goes to them there.
    - They also are higher level than mages, which scales nicely with magic missile and chromatic orb. They can cast enough of those to be relevant when not using wands.

(3) Backup Archer
    - Ranged weapons are powerful in BG1. Bards can have the Army Scythe or the returning throwing axe. Very useful indeed.

Bards in BG2...really just means Haer'Dalis.

(1a) Give him Belm for his offhand, which pushes him up to 3APR.
    (2) Eventually give him the Scarlet Ninjato for his main hand, giving him 4APR.
    (3) He can do offensive spin, giving him 5APR and max damage.
    (4) He can tank really well with stoneskin and mirror image. He can also AC tank with his defensive spin.

(1b) Or when he gets HLAs get him the improved bard song, and he gives major buffs to the entire party.
    (2) Then give him defensive items. Such as the AC shields that nobody else uses, some good armor, helmet, perhaps the defender of easthaven for his main hand and the like. Throw on his defensive spells and he will tank like nobody's business while buffing you to oblivion and back.

So yeah, I'd say that's what bards are good for.