Skip to content

Pacifism!

When playing MMO, I've sometimes RP'ed as a pacifistic druid, mandatorily hugging trees and talking about it to come to a mutual understanding, lecturing and scolding my fellow mates when they greedily wants to slay innocent beings for their own selfish gain.

It would be cool if it was possible to play a pacifistic style, trying to reason with mobs and maybe bribe ones way through the game, talk about it, maybe even intimidate, etc, but at the end of the day never shed blood.

As a thief instigate fights, and let others do the dirty work, approach some guards and fast talk ones way through a guard post.

Use disguises to solve quests, etc.

All this killing and murdering is bad! OK!!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Shandyr said:

Would he not want to establish a balance bewteen violence and non-violence?

I base my pasifism on watching too many Shaolin movies, where they insist on not shedding blood and do unessesary killings, only kill would be when saving an innocent being. Else try to subdue an agressor with non harmful messures.

Casting Entangle or Web would be pacifistic, polymorph and run!

Maybe a quest could turn out that you just need to sway the marauding villians that there are better loot "that way", saving a village from being plunderd and killed. No blood shedded, no harm caused, massive XP!

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I'm not strictly certain, but I seem to recall you could complete PS:T without actually killing anything other than the zombie in the first room. There might have been a Curst Guard later, but I dunno if you could pickpocket him for the key instead of killing him.

Being able to play 'Pacifist' in general, irregardless of class, would be a pretty nice. It'd be great if you could avoid more combat through diplomacy or manipulation.
    edited October 2012

PS:T

Never played it, didn't like the style of graphics.
    But it sounds nice that there's a game out there we can get inspiration from.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Planescape: Torment, that other Infinity Engine game.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited October 2012
    I like your idea. There are several situations in the existing game that I would like to resolve peacefully but have no dialouge option to do so.

An existing workaround is that you can cast imprisonment on people. It can be a fitting alternative if you're against capital punishment. They're just sent to a magical dungeon for the rest of time, no harm done.
    ARKdeEREH said:

They're just sent to a magical dungeon for the rest of time, no harm done.

No harm done? The victim will be trapped there forever far beneath the earth! O_O

How would you feel being trapped forever far beneath the earth? ......FOREVER!!!

edited October 2012
    HexHammer said:

ARKdeEREH said:

No harm done? The victim will be trapped there forever far beneath the earth! O_O

How would you feel being trapped forever far beneath the earth? ......FOREVER!!!

That was intended as a joke aimed at the BG world equivalent of life in prison vs. capital punishment.
    ARKdeEREH said:

HexHammer said:

ARKdeEREH said:

That was intended as a joke aimed at the BG world equivalent of life in prison vs. capital punishment.
    You play with my feelings like some will play a piano! Least you don't carve out my heart and eat/stomp it and kick it away!

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    ARKdeEREH said:

I like your idea. There are several situations in the existing game that I would like to resolve peacefully but have no dialouge option to do so.

An existing workaround is that you can cast imprisonment on people. It can be a fitting alternative if you're against capital punishment. They're just sent to a magical dungeon for the rest of time, no harm done.

I think it depends on how you define "harm." Incarceration causes psychological "harm" that usually lasts much longer than the effects of non-lethal physical "harm." Whether it's imprisonment or capital punishment, you're still making a conscious decision to deprive people of life. Whichever of the two is the most ethical is circumstantial, imo.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I'd play at least one game like this if possible just for the wonderful irony of the spawn of Murder committing none by his own hand.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I think there are already some options, but I would definetly welcome some more. With additional XP reward, so you wouldn't feel like "ah well, I'm sorry dude, I know I could talk you out of this, but you worth more XP dead... Don't worry, it will be quick and painful!"
    Senash said:

I think there are already some options, but I would definetly welcome some more. With additional XP reward, so you wouldn't feel like "ah well, I'm sorry dude, I know I could talk you out of this, but you worth more XP dead... Don't worry, it will be quick and painful!"

I really liked the Earl encounter where one could avoid a fight and get him to sob, even get massive XP and afterwards kill him and his mate without rep loss! xD

Mortianna said:

ARKdeEREH said:

I think it depends on how you define "harm." Incarceration causes psychological "harm" that usually lasts much longer than the effects of non-lethal physical "harm." Whether it's imprisonment or capital punishment, you're still making a conscious decision to deprive people of life. Whichever of the two is the most ethical is circumstantial, imo.
    The intended main idea in my post is that I like the idea of having ways to resolve situations peacefully and that I think that the game should be expanded to include more of them. Right now I am casting imprisonment on people, not because I want to or think its ideal, but because I don't want to kill them and no truly peaceful solution exists.

The part where I said "no harm done" was intended as a sarcastic reference to the fact that casting imprisonment is the only non-cheating way to resolve many in-game situations without violence.
    edited November 2012
    ARKdeEREH said:

The part where I said "no harm done" was intended as a sarcastic reference to the fact that casting imprisonment is the only non-cheating way to resolve many in-game situations without violence.

That is indeed true, but still a horrorfying choise in the end, but yes pacifistic in a bad way. :)

• ElessarElessar Member Posts: 44
    I agree that part of what's interesting about role-playing is using nonviolent approaches whenever you can (talking past guards, etc.), but I guess part of the plot is that as a Bhaalspawn you're surrounded with murder whether you ask for it or not.

Also it might be tough to do pacifist options in a computer game where so much time was spent coding the combat system. I guess I haven't played Planescape: Torment, so I don't know if they succeeded in having enough nonviolent options there. When's PT:EE coming out? 2025?
    Elessar said:

I agree that part of what's interesting about role-playing is using nonviolent approaches whenever you can (talking past guards, etc.), but I guess part of the plot is that as a Bhaalspawn you're surrounded with murder whether you ask for it or not.

It was intended for BG 3 which most likely wouldn't use the old engine of BG 2.

Think of it as this Bhaal Spawn that tries soo hard to stay Good, but can't help him/her-self to shed a little blood now and then when the urge gets too great, thus fighting the inner demon.

• I just love it to kill everything ingame without using evil aswers in converation.

If they balanced the xp for non violent players there will be less blood and gore in my playtrough
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    By my count, you need to kill exactly 8 people to finish bg1. In order:
    1. Mulahey
    2. Raemon, Venkt, Hakt and Britik
    3. Daveorn
    4. Slythe (don't need to kill krysten)
    5. Sarevok
    Note that it is also essentail to kill 6 greater dopplegangers at the meeting with sarevok, but technically the guards can do this for you, although it might be hard to accomplish

In BG2 there are a number of different routes to take but I count this one as the one with the least kills (42 total).
    1. Jaylos, Caehan, Guild contact
    2. Gellal, Durst and Lassal
    3. Sanik's assassin
    4. Perth the Adept
    5. 16 assorted kobolds underneath spellhold (guarding the crystal)
    6. Dace
    7. 5 goblins and 3 trolls in the asylum tests
    8. Lonk the sane
    9. Bodhi
    10. 6 elemental parasites in tree of life
    11. Irenicus

Note that these npc kills are absolutely essential. However, spells such as imprisonment may possibly be able to bypass some, I haven't tested. If anyone can reduce this number further, I'd be happy to hear it.
    It might also be possible to cajole an enemy mage to summon a demon, and keep that demon alive long enough to kill one or more of the targets too, so that they wouldn't be attributed as your kills, although this could obviously be very difficult
    Thinking about it, it should only be some classes that should be able to do full pacifism, and some other classes to partially do pacifism.

Wouldn't be much idea in having a barbarian to be a pacifist, sure he can intimidate and what not, but imo it just doesn't go with the class not to have the urge to crack some skulls now and then.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Pacifist Paladin- uses negotiation and faith (and spells) to get around problems. Wrap your mind around that one... You could also amend it to only fighting back (in a non-lethal fashion) until you are attacked lethally. i.e. you don't go around starting fights, but it's okay to defend yourself from lethal attacks.
    LadyRhian said:

Pacifist Paladin- uses negotiation and faith (and spells) to get around problems. Wrap your mind around that one... You could also amend it to only fighting back (in a non-lethal fashion) until you are attacked lethally. i.e. you don't go around starting fights, but it's okay to defend yourself from lethal attacks.

A) defend only, but with lethal force would be having high moral standards, and hardly be pacifism imho.
    B) defend only with non lethal means, would be almost fully pacifism. If casting imprisoment would be very abominable to me, even if it's non lethal.
    C) using violence only in selfdefense would be partially remedied with healing the agressor afterwards being pacifyed, and then talk about it ..and hug!

edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

1. Mulahey
    3. Daveorn
    5. Sarevok
    Note that it is also essentail to kill 6 greater dopplegangers at the meeting with sarevok, but technically the guards can do this for you, although it might be hard to accomplish

In BG2 there are a number of different routes to take but I count this one as the one with the least kills (42 total).
    3. Sanik's assassin
    4. Perth the Adept
    6. Dace
    8. Lonk the sane
    9. Bodhi
    11. Irenicus

Note that these npc kills are absolutely essential. However, spells such as imprisonment may possibly be able to bypass some, I haven't tested. If anyone can reduce this number further, I'd be happy to hear it.
    It might also be possible to cajole an enemy mage to summon a demon, and keep that demon alive long enough to kill one or more of the targets too, so that they wouldn't be attributed as your kills, although this could obviously be very difficult

It is possible to avoid killing some of the characters that you mentioned.

If you talk to the pirate king, Desharik, you can get to Spellhold without needing to ever encounter Perth the Adept, thus, you do not need to kill him.

You can read more about how to do this at Gamebanshee:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/walkthrough/brynnlaw.php

You also don't have to kill Lonk the sane. Talk to him and convince him that by helping you he will be free of Irenicus. He will then bring you to the other prisoners and go his separate way.

I haven't tried casting imprisonment on the specific people you mentioned, but I have used it on characters in other plots and had the game count them as dying when they did not. For example, in Ust Natha you can cast imprisonment on Quilue and then bring her brain to the aboleth, even though she is really still alive. If your timing is perfect, you can also save Xzar, by casting imprisonment on him just before that Harper assassin can kill him. If you time it right, she will still show up and the dialogue and plot will continue as though she killed him, but he will, in fact be merely imprisoned and can be released later with a freedom spell.

Also, I can't remember what spell I used, but several years ago I charmed Sarevok and used him to kill his allies. It's been so long that I only vaguely remember what happened, but I think the game eventually ended with him still alive, but under my control. I'm not sure what I used but it was probably either dire charm or Algernon's cloak. I know I used to use them quite a lot and would often times repeatedly try to charm someone until it eventually worked, even if it took dozens of attempts.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    ARKdeEREH said:

ajwz said:

1. Mulahey
    3. Daveorn
    5. Sarevok

3. Sanik's assassin
    4. Perth the Adept
    6. Dace
    8. Lonk the sane
    9. Bodhi
    11. Irenicus

It is possible to avoid killing some of the characters that you mentioned.

If you talk to the pirate king, Desharik, you can get to Spellhold without needing to ever encounter Perth the Adept, thus, you do not need to kill him.

You can read more about how to do this at Gamebanshee:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/walkthrough/brynnlaw.php

You also don't have to kill Lonk the sane. Talk to him and convince him that by helping you he will be free of Irenicus. He will then bring you to the other prisoners and go his separate way.

I haven't tried casting imprisonment on the specific people you mentioned, but I have used it on characters in other plots and had the game count them as dying when they did not. For example, in Ust Natha you can cast imprisonment on Quilue and then bring her brain to the aboleth, even though she is really still alive. If your timing is perfect, you can also save Xzar, by casting imprisonment on him just before that Harper assassin can kill him. If you time it right, she will still show up and the dialogue and plot will continue as though she killed him, but he will, in fact be merely imprisoned and can be released later with a freedom spell.

Also, I can't remember what spell I used, but several years ago I charmed Sarevok and used him to kill his allies. It's been so long that I only vaguely remember what happened, but I think the game eventually ended with him still alive, but under my control. I'm not sure what I used but it was probably either dire charm or Algernon's cloak. I know I used to use them quite a lot and would often times repeatedly try to charm someone until it eventually worked, even if it took dozens of attempts.
    I thought about going in via the pirates, but I though you would then have to kill lady delshana + her mage to get a recommendation? Will try it out anyway. I never realised about being able to persuade lonk the sane - I have never managed it

It may be possible to skip the guild contact too, if you question him succesfully, potentially putting the kill count at 39

Regarding the bg1 route, it may be possible to avoid killing mulahey, and Raemon, Venkt, Hakt and Britik by just running past them and opening thier chests too. Will look into this. It would leave the bg kill count at 3.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

1. Mulahey
    3. Daveorn
    5. Sarevok

Can you not just steal the papers out of the chests and leg-it, for a good number of those?
  • Yes I think you can, @Moonintroll. I think you can Charm Mulahey pick the scrolls leave and finish the chapter.