Skip to content

Isn't CHARNAME still being hunted by the end of TOB?

Due to the actions of The Five all the Bhaalspawn are being hunted down, and that includes the protagonist. Even if you've been playing as a 20 rep saint your character is still blamed for Saradush's destruction and has a 100k gp (in-universe enough to buy a frigging castle) bounty on his head, to the point that entire platoons have been sent to try and kill you. By the end of TOB, assuming you pick the good mortal ending, your character gets rid of the taint and walks off into the sunset.

...Except absolutely no one knew about the fight with Amelyssan and since I never cleared it up with the king of Tethyr I'm really curious as to how my CHARNAME and Aerie ended up settling down and living happily ever after. Did Elminster just vouch for me or something? Cause I'm real curious how I managed to avoid having to fight increasingly absurd waves of bounty hunters come the ending.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Yes.

Honestly, even Paladins with 20 points of Reputation would have slaughtered tens of thousands from Candlekeep to the Throne of Bhaal. Even without the Saradush incident Gorion's Ward would be target of enough grudges to last dozens of lifetimes.

Not to mention even if CHARNAME decides to settle down somewhere to live a simple life, Faerûn has many magical means to locate his/her wherabouts. Everyone in power loves scrying mirrors, especially the deities themselvs who sure as Baator will keep an eye for every 40th level demi-god character.

This of course quadruples for ascended Bhaalspawns even more. But instead of absurd waves of mob encounters they have to fend off the divine Big Guys.

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked!
  • MagpieRandomsMagpieRandoms Member Posts: 72
    That's a really good point.

A (mortal) PC at the end of ToB would be be extremely famous (or infamous) at that point,
    it even says so in the ending
    , and they would have made countless enemies and been the object of envy for those hungry for power.

The Elminster thing could be possible, he has, after all, watched your journey from the beginning of the first game right up until the very end so if you could have gained sufficient approval from the Harpers to have gained their protection (or even become a Harper yourself). Gorion was friends with him and Blackstaff, two of the most powerful and famous people in Faerun. Elminster is also one of Mystra's chosen so there's divine protection as well.

The (mortal) PC may have gained the favour of a few gods by this point and in a similar way to Tethtoril might have a few watching over them. Of course that's speculation on my part.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    By the end of ToB you are a lvl 30ish killing machine wielding the greatest artifacts in that region of Faerun...upgraded within the throne of Bhaal. You have allies of the same level of power. You have fought and beaten the likes of Mr. Szass. Even Elminster would think twice before fighting you.

If you aren't showing active hostility to a nation, I doubt that they'd try to bring your wrath down upon them.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    hence the Murder in Baldur's Gate Module.
  • Vendetta543Vendetta543 Member Posts: 8
    Yeah, roleplaying-wise I legit worried over Aerie's pregnancy past the ending cause my character is by all rights considered a wanted criminal; and I remember reading somewhere you were actually supposed to fight increasingly strong bounty hunters over the course of TOB. This feels like a giant loose end cause unless the Solar made a worldwide announcement of Amelyssan's defeat I'm gonna have a hard time proving I'm no longer carrying the God of Murder's essence.

That or we take the alternative option of 'your character is so high level no one's willing to test it', but considering no one save Sendai ever seems to hesitate trying to attack you I'm doubtful of this.

@deltago Is Murder in BG canon to the game series? I mean I'm not disputing the race thing, but rather the impossibility of it: Abdel Adrian kept the Bhaal essence (why I have no clue) and it's why he lives so long, but that's not a choice you can make: Either you ascend or you give it up to the Solar, there's no 'keep the essence and remain mortal' option.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Unless there's epic level bounty hunters no ones really going to mess with you. You basically have a reputation that if anything that wrongly crosses you ends up dead nothing can touch you. Do you want to go against a guy who has as least killed 8 dragons, an army of fire giants, an army of drows. Even Eliminster probably the most powerful wizard in faruen doesn't want to trade blows with. Yeah come at me bro. That's what I believe anyways. Although you could argue saying that no kingdom would really want you to settle down there. But then again you could settle down in some small village. Buy an old house fix it up. And then when some stupid orc or goblins decide to raid the village at night jump out in your gear and single handly kill all the raiders while there arrows can't pierce your AC. Then calmly walk back to your little house like nothing happen.
  • filcat88filcat88 Member Posts: 115
    I like to think that, after TOB, CHARNAME has found another adventure...or another adventure has found him/her....
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited August 2016

but considering no one save Sendai ever seems to hesitate trying to attack you I'm doubtful of this.

Actually they don't attack you, only in the Oasis it happens and from the letter you find you know that is only because the queen thinks that you are a real treat to her kingdom.
    You enter not invited the closed palace of the Saradush boss, kill some of his men and face him. Avery sane person would have perceived that as an attack, an he is quite insane and very suspicious and frightened.
    You chase Yaga, the drow and the dragon. With the monk again you sneak into his place and any way killing you is part of his mission, mission at which he has devoted (literally) his life.

The only person who manipulate you and attack you, manipulating the five, is the final boss, that at that point is a level of power well beyond anything you can find after the end of ToB....

As all this happens the common people is quite happy to sell and buy from you, you continue to rise your reputation and chat with friendly people.

Furthermore a major event like the baalspawn crisis, that anyway is also a manipulation of the final boss, is too relevant. Is almost impossible that the people will not know that the crisis is ended, even if you don't tell exactly what happened inside the trone. The whole energy of a major God has been destroyed and all the temples should know this.

Imo Charname has a good chance to settle down almost everywhere he want even without the protection of the fear of his immense power.