Skip to content

Cursed Sword of Berserking?

A couple of questions to the community:

1. Do you use the cursed sword of berserking +3?
2. If not, would you use it if it had a a greater benefit, for example +5 to hit and damage rolls?

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    1. I usually sell cursed items as soon as possible. But that's mainly because usually the penalties outweigh the potential advantages.

2. For me damage output or hit accuracy is secondary. It's only one or two points better compared to an enchanted non-cursed weapon. A weapon with such a weakness should have an equally strong advantage. I would probably use it (in BG1) if the sword makes you immune to hold or other disabling effects. In BG2 you have other ways to protect yourself, so I probably wouldn't use it. Well, maybe a nice vorpal effect could tempt me, but not much else.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've never used it. But if you have a Priest of Tyr in the party, Acclamation can cure berserk on another party member and also grant immunity to the effect.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Does it add more net damage than an alternative?

Yes -> use it.

No -> don't use it.

And that includes more than just pure damage numbers, of course. But the damage is part of it - so if there was enough damage to offset the negative effects and result in a net positive average, I'd use it. Very difficult to accurately model some effects, though.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited August 2016
    It's one of those weapons that would have benefited from an upgrade alternative with a blacksmith or some special synergy with a specific kit like Minscs Dragon Blade in SoD. I believe Thalantyrs item upgrade mod has an option involving the Berserk sword.

Generally Spiders Bane is a better weapon all around, although I've noticed recently you can't be hasted while using Spiders Bane anymore.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    Why? Spider's Bane already is better than the regular +3 two handed sword in most occasions, so I don't see the added value
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Zilber said:

Why?

Merely a question, I'm building an NPC and considering lots of options...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    When I was a noob I did try it in BG2 with a Cavalier. I suggest you try it just for fun.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    Greener said:

Zilber said:

Why?

Merely a question, I'm building an NPC and considering lots of options...
    If using it made you immune to fear and/or charm, it would give a nice tradeoff, the bonus need not change, that might not do BGI much good.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Demivrgvs said:

@Greener Item Revisions tries to make cursed items "half annoying half great" but I don't know if I always managed to achieve the intended goal.

For example:
    - Berserking Sword: you go berserk but gains +1 attack per round
    - Kiel's Morning Star: you go berserk but you gain immunity to charm and confusion
    - Ring of Folly: +1 casting speed bonus but chance to get a wild surge
    - Bracers of Speed (underdark ones): +1 attack per round but with -4 thac0 penalty and chance to cause temporary fatigue

Feedback and/or suggestions are always welcome. :)

Giving those immunities to Kiel's Morning Star seemed the ideal solution and also kinda fitting considering Kiel's Helmet granted immunity to fear. Nice synergy imo.

Outstanding, thank you!
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I've never used the sword myself. When I see what problems it causes an NPC, why on earth would I want to make one of my party members use it?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It could be a +10 sword and I still wouldn't use it. Loss of control basically spells death in any battle worth using that amount of power on.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    batoor said:

Thalantyrs item upgrade mod

Is it compatible with 2.X?

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I remember as a kid I used it on Khalid for some fights - have him drink an invisibility potion and flank with it - the HP boost and other effects can create pretty interesting situations - you just have to be prepared to run away from whoever is using it for a moment, and eventually get the curse removed should you not want to use it anymore, but it's a handy nuclear option if you find you're getting bogged down and want to try something wacky lol. You *know* if it was as P&P game and somebody got sufficiently desperate they'd equip such a sword just to hear the reaction from the other players lol.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    @Demivrgvs let's be honest. Do you think that a loss of control amounts to any spell\powerful enchantment in the game? I think not. A better way would be to make it so you can bless these items and remove their curse (if you can find the right way to do that)
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    @Arthas well, the loss of control triggers only when you start to swing the sword and ends 1 round after you stop swinging it, thus you have a tiny bit of control on it, at least in terms of positioning. The idea is for IR's cursed items to be somewhat usable in limited situations, not to become your go-to items. The Berserking Sword can be found much sooner than other +3 weapons (with IR only cursed weapons have such a high enchantment lvl within BG1) and +1 attack per round is a HUGE combat bonus on top of it.

That being said, a Calm Emotions spell or a similar effect from an item would give some cool option to redeem it even more. I'll think about it.