Skip to content

Too much money?

In original AD&D, in the pen-and-paper game, the Friends spell did something completely different from giving you a shop discount. When I play Baldur's Gate, and the other IE games too, I sooner rather than later find myself with a ton of money on my hands. It becomes a question of finding ways to spend big. Changes to prices and rewards, other mods like that are okay with me, but we could also reduce discounts. I'd like to know, would it be a very upsetting loss of your enjoyment if another spell did what Friends does now for Charisma, on a humbler scale - adding 2 points, maybe - and Friends had a different effect? You would lose 4 out of 6 guaranteed discount grades. This could have a rather profound long-term impact on the games' economy and make natural Charisma more important, but would it ruin the enjoyment for you?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @chimeric
    If you find yourself having too much gold in game, try LoB and you will appreciate those surplus ^^.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Charisma only affects prices up to 20 anyway, so not having friends would be unlikely to make too much of a difference to most players.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    So nobody cares about Friends? Do you even use it at all? I remember being very happy I had it in the original BG, and I still am, but maybe something has changed people's ideas of finance?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Paladin (min 17) + Algernon's cloak + Tome of Charisma means Friends is pointless.
    But you can't get Algernon's Cloak without killing the fatso or maybe a very high Pickpocket skill... and I doubt most characters have this kind of Charisma. Well, that's fine by me. If it turns out people don't care about the discount from Friends, I'll feel more at liberty to change that spell.
    Okay, I'll keep that in mind. My mod will probably be incompatible with Spell Revisions anyway, in spirit if not in mechanics... Why does SR change a 1st level spell into a 3rd level spell, though? And how?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    chimeric said:

But you can't get Algernon's Cloak without killing the fatso or maybe a very high Pickpocket skill... and I doubt most characters have this kind of Charisma. Well, that's fine by me. If it turns out people don't care about the discount from Friends, I'll feel more at liberty to change that spell.

actually you can get that cloak without killing him and do so at level 1 without cheating at all, but you still need a thief

first of all, you only need a pick pocket skill of 50 to pick his cloak ( at least im pretty sure its 50, at most its 60, but that's all good because of the next thing)

next, you go to the nashkiel carnival and inside the big tent ( first big one on the left) there is a dude whose name starts with a "V" forget his name, but long story short, as soon as you walk into the tent, bud will come over to your group, yoink 100 gold, and disappear forever

or you can just kill him instead and get some lovely potions off of him ( no REP loss) and one of those potions is the potion of mastery thievery

go back to beregost with that potion, and have your team thief drink it and probably worse case scenario you will have around 60 or 65 % pick pockets

quick save your game ( incase you fail first try) and pick the lovely cloak from algeron ( or whatever his name is) with no muss or fuss :)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yuck, monster summoning at level 1! Magic sure has gotten beefier since the old days. Yeah, and we thought we had to do with Invisible Servant, Ventriloquism and a lot of running... Of course I'll mention SR in the readme. Though it's not technically incompatible, if they are using IDS slots. I'm going completely over that terrain, as you know. I'll just write that the spell system may be a bit weirded-out, with some duplicates, if they install both. But then, why not duplicates? AD&D research rules allow variations on spells.

@sarevok57 I'll keep that in mind. A refreshing cheating experience, that. :lol: It's been a while since I played that way.
    Why do they do that? Why do they overwrite an existing spell with another completely different spell? It doesn't make any sense. I want to put a different Friends instead of the usual Friends in there, and they overwrite Friends with a totally irrelevant spell? Is this housekeeping gone mad - let's get rid of everything we don't like? Seems like a common disease around here.
    chimeric said:

Why do they do that? Why do they overwrite an existing spell with another completely different spell? It doesn't make any sense. I want to put a different Friends instead of the usual Friends in there, and they overwrite Friends with a totally irrelevant spell? Is this housekeeping gone mad - let's get rid of everything we don't like? Seems like a common disease around here.

Spell revisions overhauls both the total structure of spells and individual spells with the aim of making spells much more balanced and having some coherent progression between levels. In the existing spell system many spells were never used at all and changing that was a high priority. I don't see any problem in principle with the aims of the mod, but of course not everyone will like the results (the same could be said for all mods of course, including your proposed one, but if you don't like a mod you don't have to use it).
    Grond0 said:

(the same could be said for all mods of course, including your proposed one

Not at all! The contemplated Friends replacement aside, the only thing that my mod will do that deserves the name of MODDING, that is to say CHANGING, is that the scrolls my own spells will be found on MIGHT be usable by sorcerers. This is mostly a matter of convenience for players who want access to the spells. Even then, this will only be the case for MY OWN spells and scrolls, I won't change ALL scrolls in the game - precisely so that I don't impose my silly ideas of what "there needs to be", as @subtledoctor puts it, on other people! Those who play sorcerers with my mod can just ignore the spells if they think that scrolls for sorcerers are anathema. I only want to ADD to the games.

- Friends is stupid
    - Monster Summoning is great and there needs to be one at each level.

Long story short, they have good reasons, and they convinced me that what SR does is fine. There have been one or two small instances where it has annoyed me, but mostly it's okay.

I don't see how their "good reasons" or your being convinced excuse rudely, and crudely, messing with the AD&D magic system and people's enjoyment of the games as a price for installation. Monster Summoning for every level. Right, and put a Barely Limited Wish in the 8th level while you're at it - there was a gap. :angry: True, I-don't-have-to-install-anything, thank God for that. What bothers me is where this concerns me - that something this ugly may prevent some players from installing my much smaller mod.

Anyway, like I say, worst-case scenario you are in a "last mod in wins" situation. Not the end of the world. And you are talking about having Friends "have a different effect" ... if it's a different effect, why not leave Friends alone and make a new spell with your new effect, and give your new spell a new name? Ultimately there's no difference.

I resent being put on the same level. SR, I admit, brings a number of sensible updates to spells, for a more pleasant playing experience. Like making clerics' Cure Medium Wounds do +1 more point of healing per level. But it is dull and unoriginal in the most depressing way possible. Any, but any half-new spell does more than these "tweaks" and "updates" combined.

The "different effect" I would like Friends to have is actually its original effect, to the extent it's possible in these CRPGs. I want it to pacify and befriend (charm) batches of monsters, with special rules that would permit special applications. And befriending monsters would be a starting platforms for using other spells I contemplate, like Tongues and ESP, and perhaps a special ability for bards to collect experience by gathering tales off creatures. None of these exist, so nothing would be overwritten - a completely non-destructive addition to the gameplay. But I had to ask whether Friends is a popular spell among players. I like the discount it gives, myself. Apparently no one cares about that, but now I see that there are other problems - a fatso mod that's taken up a whole theater row. On the other hand, making up a new spell is not that easy (only hacks imagine that good ideas are all over the place). What I will probably end up doing is making a small installer for my Friends, apart from the mod I'm working on.

chimeric said:

I resent being put on the same level.

So they swapped the in game Friends by another spell, and you also plan to swap the in game Friends by another spell. Yet for some reason you seem to resent the way they did it, but plan to do it yourself regardless. Sorry, but now you're just being silly.

As for not changing Sorcerers around: You're adding new spells, and give Sorcerers the opportunity to learn these new spells in excess of their regular spells known list. That is a change to the Sorcerer class, who are normally restricted by their severely limited spells known list, a defining class feature. It's a clear advantage to Sorcerers, and thus, yes, you are making Sorcerers stronger than normal, even if the known spells are limited to the new spells you add.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Three things.

1. Not everyone uses SR.
    2. It's fairly easy to prevent SR to modify individual spells. The readme even tells you how. @Demivrgvs isn't some kind of tyrant who imposes his views on the end user.
    3. Stop being such a douchebag. If you think your mod is so much better than SR, then just release it without caring about compatibility. People will pick what they want, and as I said earlier it's easy to configure SR to make it compatible.
    edited September 2016
    It affects me by changing, modding, the scene that I have to live with and show what I've got on. You see, in the beginning, there was the original Baldur's Gate, and it moved upon the face of the waters... rewind forward, and it was good. Then time passed, perspectives changed, so did our opinions, this way and that, and now there is much more than one old game - there are sequels, expansions, some very venerable revisions, and volumes upon volumes of forum arguments, and all that forms people's perspectives and expectations. A mod like Spell Revisions is a sound proposition at face value, because it does so much of what should have been done even by Bioware; but it fails to pay attention to other aspects, and, being popular and well-established, makes them unimportant in players' eyes.

See what it does even in this instance, in the case of Friends. True, the pen-and-paper version of AD&D (I insist that the IE games are computer RPGs, not squad combat) Friends converts creatures to help you. In BG, Friends only adds 6 (formerly 2d4) points of Charisma. This might actually be useful for dialogues in a game like Torment, and so there it would make some creatures help you. In BG (and BG2, IWD and IWD2) we don't have the conditions for this, so Friends only gets us a store discount - a far cry from the original. But a few days ago, after I posted that put-down about Friends, I went and looked at the spell's description in the PHB. Well - and I had totally forgotten about that, I confess - the pen-and-paper spell does begin by raising Charisma by 2d4 points. Then the creatures' reaction is re-rolled for the new Charisma level. So I was too hasty in saying that the computer Friends is completely wrong; it's just that Charisma is not used for hostility adjustments outside of dialogues in these games. So now I think that what I should do with Friends is let it have both powers: still add those points, for the discount and in case someone writes dialogues with Charisma checks; and change monsters' reaction - perhaps even based on current Charisma, if I can figure out how. It's a long shot for me. But having both abilities at once means that players with the original Friends have nothing to fear from my mod.

Back to Spell Revisions. We have, as you see, this very imperfect rendering of Friends in BG - in principle a social, role-playing spell like no other except Charm Person. It is weak, but we could look for ways to improve, if there was demand. But along comes a big mod like Spell Revisions, obsessed with order and symmetry, and offers players a bunch of sensible changes, which they have no reason not to embrace; and it shuffles priorities. It sweeps away the lousy Friends, by fiat, puts a Monster Summoning spell in level 1 for the sake of having a full array, even though this would be way out of the scope of an AD&D mage at start-up; I could quote other instances from the readme where the game is made straightforward. What does this tell people? That role-playing spells are junk and can't "compete" with real, combat stuff. That everything should be linear, consistent, consecutive and logical; therefore, any illogical rules must be eradicated, and when a new spell is introduced, it has to be evaluated against those criteria too. Does it lack a clear description, with all the numbers? Does it use figurative language and apparently go off topic? Does the effect lack predictability and threaten to jeopardize familiar tactics? Bad, bad, bad.

What chance does that leave modders like me? You might say: show your spells, and if they are good enough... Ah, but what is "good"? One can't assume that actually good ideas will be recognized as such a certain range of novelty away. Perhaps slowly, if I persist, and just do the job little by little; then some recognition of difference; that's my hope. But, to be frank, the degree of mental blockage I see on these forums - not in everyone, but in many - is Dianetic, and so I lash out more than I should...

chimeric said:

ha ha ha ha ha :lol:
    I do. Because I'm an artist in my approach, and I don't want to be put in the same category as housekeepers, improvers, or those who paint with a template. With all due respect for their contributions, I (will) want recognition of mine. I might be a big, a small, a fine, a mediocre artist, a clumsy one at this stage, I admit it, but I always try to bring creativity and fresh ideas, even, for now, to these debates. I go quite deep in a different way than an engineer, and when I can't, I at least make things diverting. I draw on my imagination, but if you hand me a broom or a monkey wrench and say: get in line! Then I must, of course, fail, and the same goes for all other people who dare to depart from the modding standard - now a couple of decades old, if you count from the first BG rebalancing mods (pre-Millennium). I'm sorry that I have gone overboard in places. But there has got to begin recognition of merits other than sound construction, universal application and clever logic around here.
    You are aware that by placing yourself on a pedestal and talk trash about everyone but yourself, you're displaying yourself as a rather unlikable person, right?

Good luck with your business, you're gonna need it. I personally think this joke has lasted long enough. Goodbye.
    edited September 2016
    chimeric said:

Grond0 said:

(the same could be said for all mods of course, including your proposed one
    Not at all! The contemplated Friends replacement aside, the only thing that my mod will do that deserves the name of MODDING, that is to say CHANGING, is that the scrolls my own spells will be found on MIGHT be usable by sorcerers. This is mostly a matter of convenience for players who want access to the spells. Even then, this will only be the case for MY OWN spells and scrolls, I won't change ALL scrolls in the game - precisely so that I don't impose my silly ideas of what "there needs to be", as @subtledoctor puts it, on other people! Those who play sorcerers with my mod can just ignore the spells if they think that scrolls for sorcerers are anathema. I only want to ADD to the games.
    My original comment referred to the different perspectives people have. The fact that you like a particular mod does not mean that everyone else would (and the same does indeed hold for every mod). Even if all you are proposing is 'adding' to the game that is not always a good idea. Even leaving aside potential mechanical glitches like not being able to access all spells due to display problems, having more options may just seem like over-complication to some people - leading to longer gameplay without any compensating benefits.

I note in your recent posts you've referred to keeping the charisma bonus. For what it's worth I think that makes sense. That's partly because charisma is not only used to give a discount in stores, but in a pretty large number of encounter adjustments. Admittedly, none of those are requirements to finish the game (Bioware wisely making sure that low-charisma characters were not automatically prevented from completing it). However, low charisma will significantly affect both the side-quests available and the rewards you get from those. One of the advantages of a solo arcane character is that they can use charisma as a dump stat without losing out on side-quests to the same extent.
    edited September 2016
    Thels said:

chimeric said:

As for not changing Sorcerers around: You're adding new spells, and give Sorcerers the opportunity to learn these new spells in excess of their regular spells known list. That is a change to the Sorcerer class, who are normally restricted by their severely limited spells known list, a defining class feature. It's a clear advantage to Sorcerers, and thus, yes, you are making Sorcerers stronger than normal, even if the known spells are limited to the new spells you add.
    I don't think we are on the same wavelength. When people talk about making a class stronger or weaker, they miss the point... Moving on, with scrolls, I mainly want to give sorcerers an easy way to get the spells into the spellbook - easy, that is, once they've found or fought for the scrolls. Waiting for a level-up to get spells, and then just picking what you like, is a passive way to get power, and it takes away half of the interest any new spells could evoke - even if mine just knocked your socks off. Mystery is the better part of magic, and it puts power in the proper context. This works well with wizards, but not with sorcerers as they exist. Still, as I said in the other thread, it's too much and off-course for my purposes to create a whole new class. I'm content with giving sorcerers a hand this way, so they get more active, and I leave the power issue to their players. This is not a multiplayer game, we don't have to measure the classes against each other, and at any rate they should never be compared in such a flat manner. I've said over and again: this is not an action game, this is an RPG. It's about adventure and imagination, not min-maxing.

I will note that you tend to use hyperbole, which can be jarring but on the other hand I do it myself, so I appreciate it. But you also tend to assume that you are the only intelligent human in a room full of monkeys. You assume that everyone else's opinions are knee-jerk, rather than, perhaps, thoughtful contemplation based on a suite of information that, while disparate to yours, is no less complete. And that is to your detriment.

I don't doubt that you all have informed opinions and plenty of knowledge about the game. I only think that these opinions and knowledge only concern a selection of aspects of gameplay. You know a lot about mechanics, coding, balance, conceived in a particular way, other IE games, which I've never devoted so much time to, and you have a lot of worked-out practicality, again of a kind. But these things have been taken to an extreme where they will prevent any kind of serious departure from the formula. Which my spells won't necessarily attempt, by the way. They are just some hopefully unusual charms, some more, some less. The first installment won't do it alone. It would take more, and special abilities, to really diversify gameplay.

Understandable. But you can't demand that ahead of time. Demi & co. have, for many years, proven their skill, attention to detail, openness to feedback, and devotion to the PnP roots of the game. So far, all we have from you is vaporware. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Anyway the game needs improvement; what use your artistic additions if the game underneath them still kind of sucks?

Actually - to be fair to myself this time - you've already had a lot more than vaporware from me, in all these topics. But it's true that I haven't put up any goods. I'm going to present a little spell soon, just as a sample. It's nothing astounding, in fact it's a variation on an effect from Torment, but different and the BGEE environment is different too. A short but real departure from the types where 80% of spells fit: 1) kill, 2) disable, 3) heal, 4) shield, 5) summon something that does 1-4. Though, come to think of it, it does 2. But you have to be smart with it.

@subtledoctor , I don't mind improvement... but the engine being what it is, how much can you do with it? People's efforts run up against this wall, divert and end up clearing the grounds, streamlining, at least; only streamlined D&D is even worse than chaotic D&D, as 3E and other editions have shown. It's far too easy to kill the imagination.
    Thels said:

You are aware that by placing yourself on a pedestal and talk trash about everyone but yourself, you're displaying yourself as a rather unlikable person, right?

I guess I owe a reply to you too. To claim the title of artist for oneself may be both too much and not enough; one has to prove it, but then again, the devil may not as black as he is painted... All it takes is a little imagination, determined work in a chosen direction, some knowledge and a bit of gaiety to keep you going. Plenty of people could do this, already do this - but more on the Fan Creations forum than in the modders section, though I can think of a few exceptions, like Caina's mod. But we have more gruff rangers, hedge-cutting gardeners and mechanics here. The first response an unusual idea gets is not "This is interesting, though it might be dangerous" but "This is dangerous, though it might be interesting" - if you hear that second part at all...

Well, so be it! I can't change people, so I'll just get back to my spells, hopefully wised up enough not to mess with tiny details for order's sake.

edited September 2016
    Demivrgvs said:

I strived to make all spells more unique and I do tried to add some new "original" spell (e.g. Fog Cloud, Magic Fang, Ball Lightning. etc.) but I often stumbled upon either engine limitations (e.g. charm working as a full domination, not being able to reduce fatigue, harcoded stuff, and so on) or AI restrictions (with or without SCS, the AI has severe limitations in terms of what it can handle when you change things). EE recently added a few more tools at my disposal, I'll try to make good use of them.

True, true. You have those, different spells too. The thrust of the mod is to streamline the experience, though, I don't see why @subtledoctor doesn't see that obvious fact. Well, he thinks I'm only a talker, which is nothing to him. Well, live and let live. I didn't intend to come down hard on your mod in particular, @Demivrgvs , until I learned about the Friends replacement anyway. SR is only a good example of a type of mod and a type of thinking. What's wrong with streamlining, anyway? Well, nothing in principle... but it's like with cars: modern cars' shapes are streamlined, as they say, for better aerodynamics. And who can doubt but that they go against the wind better than 1920s jalopies? Yet modern cars look boring, they are impossible to tell from each other except where the designers put some irrelevant feature like extra-big lights, just to stand out. Otherwise it's the same logic that seeks to turn them into perfect geometric shapes, and it goes beyond appearance to the driving and the riding in them.

That sort of thing is dull, inhuman and repressive. And, in our case, the rationalize-everything approach fails to take into account more subtle distinctions and meanings within the AD&D system. You decided that it would make sense to have a Monster Summoning for every level. I think this makes too much sense, the game is not so straightforward. Briefly, the role of the wizard and the character of his spells in pen-and-paper changes several times in his career. At first he is a trickster and a helper. He has very few and very weak offensive spells, not enough to bring down enemies the party is then likely to encounter. A 1st level Burning Hands or Magic Missile won't even kill one orc. But he has spells that distract, lead away and assist - cantrips, Invisible Servant, simple illusions. A few levels later the wizard steps to the fore as the main damage-dealer of the party with Fireball, Lightning Bolt etc., and his obstacle-overcoming spells like Fly or Pass Wall become invaluable.

At this point he learns to summon helpers and minions. But this isn't a defining moment of his development - a point that you could just draw a straight graph from. There is no such defining moment. A little later his role again changes again to that of a strategist and manipulator. Explosions and cheap minions fade into the background, the wizard can better overcome challenges with more intelligent means. He can move the party to other planes of existence, summon demons to obtain services from them, subjugate others with geas, teleport, enchant items. Finally, a few more levels after, the wizard becomes someone who can twist the laws of reality and the game itself: command another to die, easily become a golem, a dragon or, say, a mosquito, he can take out his heart and put a Heart of Stone instead (Spells&Magic), he can defeat mortality itself and become a lich. I've never been too happy with Wish as a spell, but it is there just to represent the fact that the wizard has become, almost, a god.

Now, any idiot understands that this progression can't be represented in a CRPG in all its extent and richness, but we must reflect it in a reduced way, hint at it when we can't do any more, staying true to the spirit of the pen-and-paper game. Instead someone has decided it would be a swell idea to have a level 2 Power Word. Yes, Power Word: Sleep. Why not? Because, I could say, a 4th level mageling isn't someone who can tell reality what to do! He is yet at that point where he is weaker than the adventuring reality; one level after, and he will begin to be its equal; and much later he will prevail over it and transcend it to loftier concerns. So the game's logic is not linear. It's logarithmic, you might say, and often deliciously crooked, in some places it has tears and pools where pure fun splashes, and no logic at all! And there are crooks and blind alleys where the air smells like a museum - time-stamped features that reflect the thinking, book influences and assumptions from 40 years ago. These too should be recognized and receive the same respectful treatment a museum deserves - you don't have to visit there, but don't just smash its displays.

This is why something like a Monster Summoning at every spell level is a poorly thought-out idea, and so are many of these rational updates. One shouldn't, for example, change spell school assignation on that prosaic logic, but instead try to see it from the designers' point of view, get inside their mind. Why is Burning Hands Alteration and not Invocation/Evocation? I don't know. But there must have been a reason. Maybe whoever came up with that spell had in his mind an image where, in some sense, it's really the mage's hands that burn, and fire flows off them. Or maybe it's the air itself that changes into fire. The result may be the same as with a fireball, but the origins, the powers at work are different. Why is Melf's Acid Arrow Conjuration/Summoning? Maybe because it is imagined as a missile which, instead of being made out of nothing (Evocation) actually comes from another place. From a universe of acid arrows. From a god of acid arrows. I don't know, but these possibilities delight me, so you won't see me getting a big piece of chalk and crossing out all this irrational nonsense.
    Demivrgvs said:

If you think SR fails in some way you could provide me FEEDBACK and/or SUGGESTIONS to improve it
    or you can just ignore SR and eventually build your own mod.

I can't suggest anything to you, you see why... You've decided to flatten this fairy landscape, what should I suggest? You've put a lot of effort in your improvements. There are periods in a person's life, though, we work away at one thing then grow out of it, step over it when our understanding expands. Being stuck in a rut is the worst thing there is. If I thought I'd be listened to, I would say, leave these antiquated but still beautiful ideas alone, be accepting of their flaws, just let go and instead make some equally strange, brow-raising and exciting spells of your own. Or adopt less-known ones from obscure AD&D materials, which is, apparently, the most I can do...
    Demivrgvs said:

P.S for the sake of information we also tried to tackle the 'Too much money' issue within IR's Store Revision component, but I don't dare to suggest you looking into another depressing Revision mod. ;)

Why not? I'd look into it. Money doesn't worry me in my own games, though. If I were playing for the first time, I'd want this part of design tightened - not everything loose and irrational is a beautiful fantasy - but I can't trick my older eye now...

A good wow or a bad wow?