Skip to content

Why does Baldur's Gate become so dull after the Nashkel Mines? (*SPOILERS*)

This is my 4th or 5th time through BG (and 2nd through BG:EE) and I just cannot remain invested in the game's story after the Nashkel Mines. In fact, I've only made it *to* the bandit camp once! It feels as if I just ran through a pre-made adventure for 1st - 3rd level characters and...{poof!} I'm stuck in a void.

Yeah, I guess I *could* go investigate the bandit camp but there's no story or strong plot hook (in my opinion) there. It's like, "well, yeah, I guess I'll go see what's going on over there."

Has anyone else felt similarly? I know some people felt IWD did the same for them after Xynomei (sp?) but at least that is much, much further into the game than the mines in BG.

I'll just go look for said bandits whilst I await your replies...

-bored in BG

Comments

• CARV3RCARV3R Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 23
    If you're bored, then give yourself a handicap; solo with a class that you wouldn't have tried before.
    Are you importing your saves/characters into BG2? Do you have the Steam version with achievements?
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    That is when I start doing most of my "wandering around the wilderness" type of adventuring, grinding out xp and gold from minor annoyances that don't really qualify as "threats". The only plot thread to follow after the mines takes you back to Beregost but at least there you are able to cash in on bandit bounties.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I enjoy the events that transpire after the Nashkel Mines myself.

The ambush in Nashkel, the trail to follow into Beregost and finally to the Bandit Camp itself. Sneaking around the Bandit Camp is always my top priority, lurking in the shadows cast by a full moon makes moving about at night that much easier.

Exiting the tent without sounding the alarm is always a nice bonus, and departing with information that points to the next leg of your investigation, I find, keeps the adventure moving forward and fresh.

Being allowed to roam freely before and after the Bandit Camp, revisit towns - the Carnival is my go-to rest, sell and identify spot - does help in breaking up the main plot arc and feels less railroaded in the end.

With so many places to explore, I'm surprised you're bored already.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I like the more open world. It's one of the main reasons I prefer BG to BGII. I have never even finished Oblivion, but have wandered aroud quite a lot.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Hmmm... I love the bandit camp. Story-wise I'm motivated to deliver some bloody payback to my enemies. Mechanically, it's a great map for using stealth tactics (stalkers, fighter/thieves and assassins really shine there). The boss fight is also fun and there's some great loot, too.

On the whole I find the story thread is consistently interesting throughout, but I like to weave in and out of it to avoid getting tired of it. I'll do a chunk of story and then explore, more story - explore. The boredom usually hits me when I get to Baldur's Gate, simply because I've been playing for so long and I'm ready to wrap it up. This is compounded by the headache that is moving around the city itself.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Sir, I don't think we are playing the same game.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It's on topics like this one that I see how different we players are. I love hunting bandits and exploring nearby dungeons before striking the bandit camp. It is also the chapter where I pick different npc's and try different parties before picking the ultimate one.
  • Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54
    DJKajuru said:

It's on topics like this one that I see how different we players are. I love hunting bandits and exploring nearby dungeons before striking the bandit camp. It is also the chapter where I pick different npc's and try different parties before picking the ultimate one.

This is by far the best way to address everyone who has posted thus far.

Admittedly, I am a die hard fan of Icewind Dale and its setup of six pre-made characters, "exactly" how *I* want them, of course at the cost of less involved and entertaining npc banter, but the STORY is also much more spellbinding to me.

As for BG, I have a difficult time staying "on track" if you will, (ADD/ADHD anyone?) when I have too much leniency on "where to next?".

I did plod my way to the Bandit Camp and am currently the farthest I have ever been in the game, having absolutely, positively annihilated the 'Tent Battle' thanks to one Horror spell and four extremely fortuitous failed saves! (Yay!) Having said that I didn't have the opportunity to sneak around the camp. In fact, it *almost* felt like another town to me because my dialogue choices earned Tazok's approval and I had free roam to do what I pleased. I will make sure to choose differently with a different party.

I also, AM enjoying the game more once again, now that things are finally moving forward and I'll see what the next encounter holds for me.
  • cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    I'll admit that as far as BG1 is concerned, I tend to get a little bored with the city of Baldur's Gate itself. I usually find myself anxious to get sent back to Candlekeep just so I can get out of the city for a while. I think a large part of that is the frustrating way crossing zones in the city works, but I also just don't find many of the side quests there to be very interesting, and its probably the area of the game where I'm most likely to just decide to skip side quests and push on with the main. With that said, I can understand why some folks lose steam after the Nashkel mines. Until that point, it's pretty clear where you should be going next, and you generally get enough experience along the way to sustain forward momentum. After the mines, the next step is a little less clear, and there is, if not a real need to chase side quests for xp, at least a perceived need to do so, which further muddies and slows things a bit.
  • Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54

I'll admit that as far as BG1 is concerned, I tend to get a little bored with the city of Baldur's Gate itself. I usually find myself anxious to get sent back to Candlekeep just so I can get out of the city for a while. I think a large part of that is the frustrating way crossing zones in the city works, but I also just don't find many of the side quests there to be very interesting, and its probably the area of the game where I'm most likely to just decide to skip side quests and push on with the main. With that said, I can understand why some folks lose steam after the Nashkel mines. Until that point, it's pretty clear where you should be going next, and you generally get enough experience along the way to sustain forward momentum. After the mines, the next step is a little less clear, and there is, if not a real need to chase side quests for xp, at least a perceived need to do so, which further muddies and slows things a bit.

Hey all!

I just want to point out that I have *NOT* been to Baldur's Gate, nor was aware of some of what you folks have mentioned in statements above. I literally made it through the Bandit Camp for the FIRST time just a day ago.

I will probably stop checking this thread in the future until I am done playing the game just in case.

Enjoy.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I feel like the issue is that compared with the second game, your XP comes from killing monsters as opposed to doing the quests, especially before Baldur's Gate. Combine that with the fact that you're generally more hard up for XP to get things done, and your experience feels a lot more like grinding, whereas I, at least, am not afraid to solve things like the Druid Grove, the Shade Lord, and the Unseeing Eye quest while sneaking around a lot of opposition because they're not really necessary to fight. You can do that in the first game too, but you'll regret it if you wind up facing Sarevok with only 60K XP as opposed to 160K.
  • cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64

I feel like the issue is that compared with the second game, your XP comes from killing monsters as opposed to doing the quests, especially before Baldur's Gate. Combine that with the fact that you're generally more hard up for XP to get things done, and your experience feels a lot more like grinding, whereas I, at least, am not afraid to solve things like the Druid Grove, the Shade Lord, and the Unseeing Eye quest while sneaking around a lot of opposition because they're not really necessary to fight. You can do that in the first game too, but you'll regret it if you wind up facing Sarevok with only 60K XP as opposed to 160K.

Yep, that sounds about right.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291

You can do that in the first game too, but you'll regret it if you wind up facing Sarevok with only 60K XP as opposed to 160K.

I think it's the gear that makes the biggest difference. I tried facing Sarevok with a level 5 party and it went smoooooth.... I did carry all the right gear though, and used all the right potions, so, thats where my conclusion comes from.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    It's possible for a level 1 Assassin to solo the final battle using arrows of explosion, potions of explosion, oils of fire burning, potion of firebreathing, oil of speed and potions of invisibility.
    Raduziel said:

It's possible for a level 1 Assassin to solo the final battle using arrows of explosion, potions of explosion, oils of fire burning, potion of firebreathing, oil of speed and potions of invisibility.

yep, but it's somewhat harder to keep a 6 man low HP party alive than a single low HP character
    Loldrup said:

I think it's the gear that makes the biggest difference. I tried facing Sarevok with a level 5 party and it went smoooooth.... I did carry all the right gear though, and used all the right potions, so, thats where my conclusion comes from.

That's probably fair, and I did solo the fight with a 70K XP fighter-thief on my very first playthrough back before EE primarily by abusing magic items, but if I go through the trouble of beating the first game, I usually import to a later one, and then I definitely want as much XP as possible.
    well, I didn't use the outright cheesy things such as scroll of protection from magic
    Loldrup said:

well, I didn't use the outright cheesy things such as scroll of protection from magic

Neither did I, just a lot of potions of invisibility and arrows of dispelling.