Skip to content

Are we about to be removed from the App store?

Apple is cleaning house at the App Stores:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/01/apple-cleaning-up-app-store/

Given the current BGEE at the store is the two year old 1.3, and the other versions are not much more recent, is there a chance we are about to lose all the BG products from the Apple stores?

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2016
    Yes, you're perfectly right. If these apps are going to be removed from the App Store, future customers will no longer be able to search for them: https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/01/app-store-spring-cleaning/

I do think Beamdog should take into consideration updating these games within the end of September...... Please, do not abandon us: these are the only high quality RPGs in the App Store at the moment .......
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    That sounds like an absurd policy. I'm so glad I'm not using Apple software.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Apple is cleaning house at the App Stores:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/01/apple-cleaning-up-app-store/

Given the current BGEE at the store is the two year old 1.3, and the other versions are not much more recent, is there a chance we are about to lose all the BG products from the Apple stores?

The new guidelines don't give any specific timeline line "apps that haven't been updated in the past six months will be removed". The language is more about apps that no longer work well with current versions of iOS.

"And remember that even after your app has been approved, you should update your app to ensure it remains functional and engaging to new and existing customers. Apps that stop working or offer a degraded experience may be removed from the App Store at any time."

Assuming BGEE, BG2EE, and IWDEE still work with iOS9 & iOS10, I would think they'd be OK. If they have problems with iOS10, that would be an issue.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited September 2016
    Seriously! What is Apple's definition of abandoned? We are a week away from the 2 year anniversary of the last App Store patch for BGEE. Since then, Apple have released two new operating systems, with the third probably a month away. The last OS exposed a bug that causes the game to crash on area transitions, unless you read this forum and know to turn off the right sound options. The games are not currently in a state where the next patch would pass an App Store review - which seems to be the criterion for ejecting Apps. The history of support through the Apple store has been particularly poor - e.g., 18 months to get a patch released in under 2 weeks on all other platforms, that fixed minor things like crashes that were also corrupting saved games, and making long fights unbeatable due to crashing from a memory leak before you could reach the next save point. It would not surprise me if Apple were to object to the current state of support for these games, just as it would not surprise me if everything remains fine. I really could not call this one either way, a 50/50 for me.

@TrentOster 's rapid acknowledgement that all is well as all I needed to hear. Thanks Trent - that kind of rapid response is something that has been missing around here, and make's the recent departure of Dee particularly painful.