Skip to content

[story depth, party interaction, lore] Which is the best party for first play?

obilieobilie Member Posts: 44
Dear players,

I was advised to play this party in my first ever BG 2 game:

- The Player
- Jaheira
- Minsc
- Aerie
- Haer'Dalis
- Imoen

The argument was that this party has the biggest story and mutual interaction; that it seems most role-play logical (Jaheira and Minsc have been with you since BG 1, Imoen is your sister, why would you NOT take her, Aerie is right there where you appear out of Irenicus' Dungeon and she also has a quest that leads to Haer'Dalis which is unique) and hence that this was the ideal first play party the devs may have had in their mind when creating BG 2.

What are your opinions?

A.) Will I lose this allegedly most central, purest BG 2 RPG experience not trying this party but, say, opting for a different party composition? OR would it still stay mostly the same when changing only one or two of the characters?
B.) What about playing these characters but with some omitted, say minus Haer'Dalis and Aerie in order to level faster? Is a party of 6 best for first play in terms of depth? (not taking difficulty into consideration)
C.) I am a Shadowdancer, do I really need Imoen? Yet the game is about her, it would be weird not to take her.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    This is a well debated question indeed. Most agree on Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen for your first three. After those there are a lot of good arguments for a lot of different NPCs. From your picks I take it you are playing with good alignment and that narrows it down a bit.

If you are a shadowdancer I would strongly advice you to take Nalia since she is the only good NPC before Imoen that only levels as a mage, plus she has a nice personal quest and kind of cool interactions with Imoen in ToB.

Keldorn also has a lot going for him and I like his interactions with Aerie, plus I like his personality in general. Not classic lawful stupid at all imho.

Make sure to leave one spot open for mt ToB when you get there. You do not want to miss out on him.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited September 2016
    Take Jan. He's literally standing around, and also is the best character is terms of party interactions. Bringing Yoshimo until you get Imoen back is also highly recommended. I would drop either Jaheira or Aerie; characters with romance paths don't get along at all in BG2. Haer'Dalis is cool, keep him. Minsc doesn't give you much more than in BG1, so maybe remove him. Imoen should be kept if you want to go for story, but otherwise I'd drop her. In my opinion, the ideal party for story is:

Jan (best party interactions)
    Yoshimo (then Imoen when you can add her)
    Keldorn (probably drop when you get to ToB, you'll understand why; his quest has a lot of depth too)
    Aerie
    Haer'Dalis (good interactions between the player and Aerie)
  • obilieobilie Member Posts: 44
    @Otherguy thanks for your insight! Who is "mt" in ToB?
    I am not fond of Nalia (three thieves are too much) but she is very nice. I like Neera a LOT and Viconia. And I would take Keldorn or Mazzy. I do not enjoy Minsc, he irritates me a bit. So you think only Jaheria, Minsc and Imoen to be kept?

@dockaboomski Thanks for the reply!
    I really find Jan irritating. Like across the board, hence I really do not wish to take him. Okay, I will take Keldorn then and replace Minsc. I feel Yoshimo to be redundant since I and Imoen are thieves. Also, you suggested 6 characters including Imoen without one place for the player?

So all in all, Imoen is to be kept for the story and Minsc is replacable?

I would love Neera but with Imoen and Aerie that is a no-no.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I would definitely recommend taking Yoshimo until Imoen can re recruited. He is a good guide in the early game for new players, and he gets along with almost everyone.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @obilie to each their own, I love Jan, but I understand why people don't like him. I also don't mind Quayle, so there's that.

Minsc is personal preference. He doesn't bring a lot in terms of depth or anything but is still fun to bring.

If Yoshimo starts to be redundant you can dual-class him to fighter because of his high str, which I definitely recommend.

This will leave you an extra slot for basically anyone. I'd recommend a divine spellcaster, so your options are Anomen, Jaheira, Cernd, and Viconia. Since you said you like Viconia, bring her around.

So at this point I'd go with

You
    Keldorn
    Haer'Dalis
    Yoshimo dualed to fighter; then Imoen
    Aerie
    Viconia

If you want to know about the ToB companion, you'll run into some spoilers. He's a great tank, and is a good replacement for Keldorn if not an improvement.

As far as melee strength I think your party might be lacking a bit, so feel free to drop Aerie for Mazzy, if you like her.
    Glad to be of assistance.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Imoen->Yoshimo
    Jaheria/Aerie (Love Interest)
    Minsc
    Anomen/Nalia
    (Rotating 5th slot)

Certain NPCs are "joined" with certain quests, for example Nalia with the D'Arnise keep or Keldorn in the temple district. Have those NPCs around when you do those quests allows you to experience the full cast on your first play through, dropping them when you pick up a new NPC attached to a quest.

For the fourth slot, take Anomen if you romance Aerie, and Nalia if you romance Jaheria to have at least one arcane caster and one divine warrior in your party at all times.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    IMHO the purest BG2 experience is going through at least three or four times with wildly different party compositions and experience all the companions...then play through some more with companions you didn't see together yet! :P

Evil party is a must for me at some point (and was impossible to do Pure Evil in BG2 before the EE added some new fun companions, I think I had Jan and Haer'Dalis to round out my first "Evil" playthrough of BG2 back in the day), but it's not usually my first or even second party in a game and the BG series was no different. It's fun to mix and match! That's my advice to get as much lore and story packed in as you can. Run through with each class in the game, save humans for the classes other races can't do and try out some nifty race/class/alignment combos and aim for party composition centered on that! There's lots of fun experiments to try out, it's what keeps the series so fun to come back to after all this time.

FWIW I really like the set up in your OP and played just that setup when I was doing my second time through romancing Jaheira to get the Aerie/Haer'Dalis romance goin' on (and used a modification of that lineup where I'm romancing Aerie and had Nalia instead of Haer'Dalis on my very first BG2 playthrough! tho I dropped Nalia for SECRET COMPANION in ToB). That modified one is the one I find to be my own personal "canon" BG2 experience...but everyone has a different fave playthrough experience, so experiment! You'll literally see some new stuff that's worth it (IMHO anyway) every time you run through it if you do, to a greater degree than different party composition in the first one anyway!
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The best party for a first play is the one you feel like having. Back when I first played the game, I missed a lot of content, but the game felt good. My party was just those guys I met around the corner that were willing to join me. I guess it was:
    PC (Barbarian, because it was a new class and it moved fast, so it was cool enough back when I was 10)
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Imoen
    Nalia
    Aerie=>Viconia (When I found her)

It was a rather balanced party, though this was not a criterion. My brother, who had barely play BG1, went for something entirely different:
    PC (sorcerer)
    Minsc
    Valygar
    Aerie
    Haer'Dalis
    Imoen

You really should not bother with a party you SHOULD play, but you should focus on how you feel about this or that character travelling with you. This game is great because you can beat it with about any party, so balancing your party is not necessary. Just play as YOU feel, and don't take other players' recommandations into account, at least for a first playthrough.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2016
    obilie said:

Dear players,

I was advised to play this party in my first ever BG 2 game:

- The Player
    - Jaheira
    - Minsc
    - Aerie
    - Haer'Dalis
    - Imoen

Very good party, strong and flexible, the main problem imo is with Haer'Dalis, who is perfect both as flank attacker to help Jaheira and Minsc and as secondary mage to help Aerie during the time Imoen will be not available. The problem is that the blades are a little tricky to use and really effective only when they are used the correct way, the risk is to feel him as weak and not really useful, I don't suggest blades for a first run.

obilie said:

What are your opinions?

A.) Will I lose this allegedly most central, purest BG 2 RPG experience not trying this party but, say, opting for a different party composition? OR would it still stay mostly the same when changing only one or two of the characters?
    B.) What about playing these characters but with some omitted, say minus Haer'Dalis and Aerie in order to level faster? Is a party of 6 best for first play in terms of depth? (not taking difficulty into consideration)
    C.) I am a Shadowdancer, do I really need Imoen? Yet the game is about her, it would be weird not to take her.

A) no

B ) no need to level faster in a first run, unless you want to powergame, but running a 5 people party to have a place for the quest related NPCs is a very good idea. Doing this you must be careful to have a certain functional balance in the party (even if the game can be won with almost any party). Removing Haer'Dalis and Aerie you have only Imoen as arcane caster and this is not ideal. I am not talking from the PG perspective, is just that if you want to have the allegedly most central, purest BG 2 RPG experience a not balanced party is not ideal.

C) you don't need her thieving capability, but if in the early BG2 she is 30% thief and 70% mage at the end she is 99% mage. The same is true for Nalia.
    Having one of them in the party mean just (for the thief part of them) that you can focus in the early game on other abilities with your Shadowdancer, but almost any door or container can be opened with enough STR and for the few that can not be forced in that way there is a spell and there are means to deal with traps without a thief. Is possible and very easy to run a party without any thief, all you really loose is some Xp from opening and disarming.
    For the mage part of them the things are completely different, they both are competent mages that can cast lev9 spells at 3M and few Xp, Aerie needs 6M xp as a multi and Haer'Dalis will never go beyond lev6 spells.

• obilieobilie Member Posts: 44
    @gorgonzola @Arunsun Thank you for your insightful replies and for assuring me that the best party id the one i enjoy :)

@GenderNihilismGirdle thanks for the response, and I love your name! Why did you choose it?
  • steelchasersteelchaser Member Posts: 72
    Interesting selections but,.....

Janeira drives me crazy. Dump her ASAP. I highly recommend adding the Coran mod and then playing

Prot (dwarf F/C)
    Aerie
    Minsc
    Neera
    Coran
    Valygar>Yoshimo>Imoen

It is a pleasure having all of the magical horsepower. Minsc and Prot are tanks. Coran is a terrific archer and two handed sword user. Later on when he gets white dragon armor and "use any weapon" he really becomes awesome.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Minsc, I can't justify for reasons of both personality and practicality. He is to baldurs gate what jarjar is to starwars. He is also a brain damaged delusional guy with only half a grip on sanity and I in real life would not want be around a massive sword wielding guy if he seemed less than sound of mind.

Keldorn is cool as cucumber, and a battle veteran. Any warrior type who isn't crippled, maimed, crazy and old enough to turn gray has to be doing something right. Mazzy is younger, but is no less able than keldorn. Korgan is an asshole, but he isn't treacherous, or crazy.
    Lies! Minsc is best character!
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    My first ever run of BG2 ensured I took everybody who I had met in BG1 except for Minsc.

So for me, Edwin and Virconia were a must.

As for Minsc, first time playing BG1 I already had a full party, (X, M, J , K, I), the mines had been signposted a lot as being the most important, so said no to Minsc's quest and he attacked.
    And on a subsequent run, attacked again when I didn't rescue Dy in the alloted time.

I have never understood why Minsc is seen as a big hero when a naive player can be killed for making a mistake when they never meant any harm.
    Fully expected to do his quest after the mines in that first run.

Who in their right mind would have anything to do with him?
    Family?
    He's a mindless killer when he doesn't get his own way. Which is shown again when you can't innitially get his cage open.

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    he is the garrus of baldurs gate.
    edited September 2016

My first ever run of BG2 ensured I took everybody who I had met in BG1 except for Minsc.

So for me, Edwin and Virconia were a must.

As for Minsc, first time playing BG1 I already had a full party, (X, M, J , K, I), the mines had been signposted a lot as being the most important, so said no to Minsc's quest and he attacked.
    And on a subsequent run, attacked again when I didn't rescue Dy in the alloted time.

I have never understood why Minsc is seen as a big hero when a naive player can be killed for making a mistake when they never meant any harm.
    Fully expected to do his quest after the mines in that first run.

Who in their right mind would have anything to do with him?
    Family?
    He's a mindless killer when he doesn't get his own way. Which is shown again when you can't innitially get his cage open.

He does tell you that his very close companion has been captured by Gnolls and is in very real danger of being eaten/may not even still be alive. Time is a very critical factor to getting her out alive. A better question might be (from his point of view), what kind of sociopath would promise help, and then wander around doing random crap?
    *Edited for grammar error*
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    @DJKajuru

Oh I don't mind that he attacks, just annoyed that it's overlooked with the whole "loveable Minsc/cannon character" business.

The voice acting is great, huge part of BG, can't imagine no Minsc.
    But making it so obvious that that is the real reason of keeping him on board by the developers, is kind of immersion breaking.
    RPG wise, no innocent (or their guardians) charname would ever contemplate having such an unstable and dangerous character in the party.

It's not a matter of a "safe choice", first time player inadvertantly speaks to random in the street, choice is to drop two party members or get attacked.
    Subsequent playthroughs you know not to talk to him, but that first time set the tone for me. He's a nutter and after doing the quest, want nothing more to do with him.

How on earth would you ever rest?
    He might listen to the hamster and attack.

@DJKajuru

Boo is far too benevolent and wise.

So true, benevolent and has high score in both INT and WIS, my ferret familiar is learning a lot from him. they are really inseparable companions now, you should see how cute they are when they trow nuts to the squirrels... :smiley:

@DJKajuru

Boo is far too benevolent and wise.

@thedamages

You think?

Hmm, those beady little eyes and the whiskers........Nah I smell a rat.

Ramster?
    Hat?
    Guys, let's find a compromise :wink:
  • IglosnofIglosnof Member Posts: 119
    If you take Baldur's Gate to be a true fantastic hero story, then Minsc is a must and a great character. If you play it somewhat realistically, you gotta be pretty daring to take him along for the ride.
  • PeldinPeldin Member Posts: 46
    @obilie I must say I really like the party members you mentioned in your original post. I'm about to do my first play through of BG2 starting tonight and I think I will be going with that exact party (although I honestly haven't done much research on my party members). @gorgonzola says he doesn't think Blades would be good for a first run through, but I'm not too worried about it. I really enjoy learning new classes and look forward to it. My main PC is a Fighter/Illusionist and I had a lot of fun learning about the different spells in BG1 besides just using magic missile all the time.
    @Peldin I am a blade lover, is one of my favorite classes and very often I have one of them in the party.
    And I don't want to discourage anyone to play them, even in the first run.
    My point is only that to get the better from a blade a little knowledge is needed, while other classes are more self evident in how they should be played. Fight oriented ones are basically point and click ones, even if potions and items can help them in tough situations. Casters are... casters, so you know that you have to learn their magic and use it.
    Blades are often regarded as a very weak class by who don't know how to use them, less spells than a mage, only 1 base APR, same thac0 of thieves. they seem to miss a lot of hits when they mlee, do little damage ranged and have few spells, and a not ideal AC, unless you equip them with armors that prevent them from casting.
    But if you give to them 1, or later 2 +1APR weapon while dual welding they have 3-4 APR, if you give them the items that rise their thac0, like some bracers and use the lev 2 spell that rise their strength to 18/50 or use a potion or item that rise their STR, after few levels they begin to hit very often. And you can use the defensive spin (-10AC), eventually combined with blur and/or improved invisibility to get a very low (so very good) AC, much better of the one of the best fighter equipped with the best armor and shield. This prevent them from moving, so you have to use it strategically, send the blade, have the enemies attacking him and at the appropriate moment activate the spin. And doing so the enemies will hit only very few times, so they will take no damage and their stoneskin will last a very long time. When you use the offensive spin they gain an additional APR, some thac0, some DMG and auto roll for maxed DMG, so will be as damaging as a fighter if not better.
    They can be the better tanks or hit as the better fighters, depending on which spin you use.
    They can not wear helmets, so are not protected from critical hits, but they can use ioun stones instead, that protect them like helmets, when you will find it give the one that grans also a thac0 point.
    And even if they gain less lore than unkitted bards they gain much more lore than any other class, after some levels you will forget the identify spell, so more available spells for your mages.
    As casters they will never go further than casting lev6 spells, the mages reach level 9.
    But a bard level up faster than a single class mage, so for a long part of the game will be the bard to have the better spells, when he uses spells that for damage or duration are dependent on the level of the caster.
    A blade is not the best caster and will never be the perfect only caster of the party, but is the best suppost caster, the 2nd mage of the party.
    At 3M XP they can get HLA, and the first 2 that they should get are improved bard song, that improves greatly every party member (and friendly summon) and use any item, that let them equip every item, so helmets and shields that before they could not use, and weapons that are reserved to some classes or even NPCs.

Those are the basics of the blade, and is a quite long textwall. You can write the basics of a fighter in 5 rows, this is the reason why I tell that for new players can be complicated to play. They are indeed, but as you learn you will discover how strong they can be.
    You have only to be willing to use some micromanagment, they are definitely not a point and click class.

So even if is your first run try them, you will be satisfied and have fun in learning to play them. But if you are lazy, if you don't like to have to use spells to buff them, prepare the battle (position the party members) to make good use of their spins, chose the best spells to memorize, deciding how much self protecting spells and how much level dependent ones memorize, then chose an other class that needs less maintenance.
  • PeldinPeldin Member Posts: 46
    Wow! Blades actually sound really cool! After reading your post, it sounds like a Blade is meant to be played the way I basically played my F/I throughout BG1. My playstyle was to equip good armor (disabling my spells) but I would take my armor off before an encounter to buff myself, then put the armor back on before engaging. I plan to change that playstyle for my F/I so that I can make more use of his in-combat spells, and it sounds like having a Blade like Haer'Dalis will be a lot of fun to use as a tank with defensive spin for more difficult encounters, and still be a strong damage dealer with offensive spin for encounters where I don't necessarily need a super tank.

P.S. I, for one, never mind long posts. I really enjoy getting detailed perspectives from other BG players about anything related to BG.
    edited September 2016
    Note that a Blade's spins dont last very long. They make the best secondary everything, but shouldn't be used as a primary anything.
    @thedamages True, but they are also not very short, they last 24 seconds each, so 4 rounds, the same as PFMW or Mantle and 4 times a GWW or CS. And when he is medium or high level he gets a good number of each spin.
    Later the blade can use the improved song to get the -10AC all day long, if he wishes, being prevented from casting in the same round, but not from moving around or even physical attacking (intense micromanagement needed for that), and can alternate offensive spins (better apr and other dmg bonuses) with improved haste (double APR).
    Not all day long, but enough for some tough battles, lets say to clear a couple of dungeons and fight a dragon each day, as minor foe really don't need much buffing and usually in a dungeon there are no more than 3-4 medium-hard battles + final boss. Assuming efficiency in combat, for a beginner I would say enough for a dungeon and maybe also the final boss, but many beginners sleep anyway before it.

I am not talking of having a single mislead clone singing, for now.
    And I am not certainly talking of legal extremes (legal because using the features of the game as they are implemented, not as each one think that they should be used or not used according to PnP, game balance or other things). Because after 3M xp, combining spells, a certain helm, and scrolls he can give to all the party and summons something like -40 thac0 and AC and +40 dmg, a good MR and immunity to Stun, Fear and Confusion and immunity to Normal Weapons, using, but without wasting a single scroll, while himself has -46 AC and attacks physically, improved hasted. That is the REAL power of a 3M and something XP blade.

I also fail to understand the concept of primary or secondary, even if I have used it before (but because the bard can not cast lev7-9 spells, and that mean that he can not be primary because is something he can not replicate even for a short period),
    in my actual party I have Nalia and Aerie, that is the ideal in that party composition, but also Neera, decision taken at the last moment, because is my first EE run and I want to give her a try. Is not ideal, as the leveling strategy for that party was perfect with 4 people, with 5 they grow slower than I like (and I never learn/erase spells, self given rule).
    Who is my primary caster? All 3 are. The primary caster is the one who gets the robe in a particular situation, usually Aerie, that has more spells and benefit also in her clerical casting, but Neera, if I want to spam dewomers, with a PI, much safer than without, or Nalia if is more useful to cast fast the spells that she has memorized.
    I have in the same party a FMT, a kensai and a blade (Nalia is modded to be a Kensage that is the reason why there are only 5 party members), who is the primary damage dealer? According to the situation can be each one of the 3, and their percentage of kills confirm this.
    So I have 3 primary mages, and in each of the situations 5 secondary ones, 4 possible primary tanks, and 3 primary damage dealers.
    But probably is my own playstyle that make me think that primary and secondary something is only a self imposed limitation that we give to ourselves as players, not something that is set in stone.