Skip to content

Editing the button for a conversable item

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
edited September 2016 in General Modding
I got this code:

OUTER_SET strref = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Use~) APPEND itemdial.2da ~DUSTSC_# %Use% DUSTSC_#~ BUT_ONLY

I still don't know enough about strings, haven't found a normal tutorial about them. So I may have wrong syntax for Use there. May be it should be in other marks or quotes, or something. The code works, the item talks, but instead of "Use" I get a meaningless series of numbers on the button, not even a string reference. So how do I get the button to draw on the string I just created?

Also when a talking item runs its dialogue, the character who holds flashes his circle and it says his selection line, like "Yes?" Or "I'm listening." It's like he is being addressed by the item. This looks unnatural, especially the saying. Any way to prevent that? It wasn't a problem in Torment.

Comments

• IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Actually you're setting a variable called strref to contain the StrRef but you're using one called %Use% when you edit itemdial.2da, so it is likely undefined. So it may be you're facing the behaviour of the interface when it find a non existing StrRef. In dialogs, you get "missing xxx", maybe in the interface you only get "xxx".

You could check what happens for Lilacor. In principle you should expect the same behaviour for your item.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @chimeric As Isaya noticed, You have this:
    OUTER_SET strref = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Use~)
    APPEND itemdial.2da ~DUSTSC_# %Use% DUSTSC_#~
    BUT_ONLY
    You need this:
    OUTER_SET strref = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Use~)
    APPEND itemdial.2da ~DUSTSC_# %strref% DUSTSC_#~
    BUT_ONLY
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Yes, I figured that out! Just didn't write it here. Pretty silly of me not to realize that I need to put "streef" in there, isn't it? But that's because there is no place that really explains these things, step by step, certainly not the Weidu Documentation.

Thanks, @Isaya and @kjeron.