Skip to content

Check box for max hit hp in Config

I've played the Baldur's Gate series games on and off since 1998 and cannot wait for the EE editions to come out. I have one simple request though: Can you add a check box in the Config Screen to allow for maximum hp rolls regardless of difficulty levels?

This has always been one of my biggest complaints of the game (and given how nit picky it is, you get an idea of how awesome I think these games are). I really want to play the game on higher difficulty and core rules difficulty levels while allowing my characters to get max rolls for hp.

As a checkbox, it makes it so it's an option. For those die hard core rules folks, they can continue to roll for their hp. But I love powergaming my characters against the hardest opponents, but like to max out my hp rather than having randomness and a hp roll of 1 for my fighter (eeek) cause him to have less hp than my mage :(.

Make that one change, and I'll be quite enthralled. Anyone else agree?
jamoecwVegardPompeyginger_hammerCaptRorySenashsepotterGriegCactusAlexRmF

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I second this.
  • jamoecwjamoecw Member Posts: 41
    i think they had this in bg2, which is the engine they are using for bgee, so it probably is in. if not i hope they put it in.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I have my reservations about this but why not, if i'm going to use or not it's my problem, people should have the right of request and get this feature.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I agree. Thought max HP per level up on highest difficulty is at least strange - you raise difficulty, but on the other hand you are making game easier at the same time.
    ryu1
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    It would be handy for those people that reload a number of times until they get max HP. Personally I don't mind as long as it isn't that bad.
  • BlackDogBlackDog Member Posts: 6
    If BG is about anything, it's about configuration and customization. By merely adding this checkbox to allow max hp regardless of difficulty level, players will have this additional option to fight hardcore monsters, but at the same time allow themselves to not have to reset the difficulty each time to a level to max their hp (again, if they so desire, it's the players choice).

@jamoecw I just looked and BG2 does not currently have this functionality, unfortunately.

Please add this functionality! It would likely be a relatively (I hope) simple additional and it would effectively create three new levels of difficulty: Core, hard, insane, all with max hp for all your characters

I cannot see the downside. It just provides more flexibility to provide many players like me with an enhancement that makes life simpler to play the way we're playing already.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    My only point was that, when searching for challenge you shouldn't make game easier, just the opposite (BlackDog mentions something about playing at higher difficulties). And max HP per level is making game much easier and predictable, resulting in less challenging experience. The point here defeats itself.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Perhaps the highest difficulty setting automatically disables this ability thus making it hard.
  • BlackDogBlackDog Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the support everyone.

For some folks who may not know, the game allows the user to switch between difficulty levels while in the game. So, it's not like Torchlight or Civilization where you start the game at the hardest level and you are stuck at that difficulty throughout that game. Rather, if you are in a battle and it's too difficult, you can pop open the Config and lower the difficulty to kill that pesky demi-Lich (admit it, you all have).

What many players I know do, is play the game at one of the higher levels that DO NOT allow for max HP rolls, and then before they level up, they switch to one of the difficulty levels that allow for max hp.

All I'm saying is provide a check box that allows for max hp regardless of difficulty level. This WOULD NOT change the current difficulty levels. Again, this WOULD NOT change the current difficulty levels. Rather it would add the OPTION of a max hp check box would give the player an additional option to play at the higher difficulty levels (which basically all those higher difficulty levels do is let monsters deal more damage) but also with max hp.

If you don't want max hp, don't check the box.

I just don't see the downside. And, adding the check box would allow many players to not have to bother with going into the Config every time they level up. But it would be a great thing. It would basically create three new mid range difficulty levels. Again WITHOUT CHANGING THE EXISTING DIFFICULTY LEVELS.

Again, if you don't want max hp, you don't have to choose it.

If it's a huge pain to add this functionality, don't do it. It's more of a "nice to have" rather than "need to have".
    Nihilus
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Other options often reflected in house rules are "Max HP at 1st Level" and "Average HP Per Level" meaning you don't roll HP but take a mediocre roll each level.
  • Azchar111Azchar111 Member Posts: 27
    Didn't NWN 1 have something like this? I think it was around 75% of total hits gained per level.
    It's been a long time since I played so I might be remembering this incorrectly.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I agree with OP and others. Options on how to play the game can not be a bad thing.
    I think a "max hp pr. lvl" is a great option. All of those players who've either lowered difficulty or saved/reloaded untill they got max would be able to avoid that.
    Again as there are workarounds adding it is as stated before a "nice thing to have" and not a "need to have"
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    jamoecw said:

i think they had this in bg2, which is the engine they are using for bgee, so it probably is in. if not i hope they put it in.

BG2 didn't have a checkbox, but if you set the diffuculty to the lowest setting, you got automatic max HP rolls. So instead of a quick save-reload, you had to go and change the difficulty before doing the level up and turn it back once you finished.
    Totally second it, would be cool. But not a deal breaker for me. If I want better HPs, I'm fine woth the reload too. So yeah, it's a "nice to have", but not necessary :)
    Brude
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If it's not available at release there's always the BG2 tweaks mod... it can set HP rolls for always max or NWN style...

And should be available shortly after EE release, according to its author.
    Shin
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As @mlnevese says, this is already perfectly doable.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I'm still wishing for the average HP check box which is not covered by any of the existing mods nor can it be achieved by altering difficulty setting.