Skip to content

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition on sale on Steam this week

BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
50% off, for $19.99.

I've heard a lot of good things about this game. If anyone's been considering getting this, it might be the time to do so.

Just remember to get the Enhanced Edition and not the Classic.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Ah cool. This game is definitely worth experiencing.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited September 2016
    I picked it up, I'm really enjoying it so far. Was put off the game for ages because they tried to sell it as a co-op thing, was very glad to find out it's a single player game.

It's pretty good if a bit talky, I've been stuck in the first hub for the last 2 days just talking to NPCs. I wouldn't mind but they try to be funny...
    The humor is fairly childish and leaves me groaning more often that not.

One huge problem I have with the game are the the background NPC audio loops, they repeat the same few lines with only a few seconds break inbetween. It gets horribly annoying if you are trying to do something in a specific area with just one or two NPCs in hearing distance.

Combat is alright if you like turn base strategy.

The game is nowhere near as good as BG2 or PoE but still worth the purchase.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I've heard it was a good game in the model of BG and PoE, but yeah, I didn't expect it to be quite as good.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @SmilingSword
    DOS> BG2 by miles

>.>
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Excellent.

I mean even if we ultimately disagree as to how good it is, the fact that you say it is that good is a decent endorsement. :)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2016
    The Divinity games have always been far better than they would appear on the surface. Divine Divinity looks like a cheap Diablo-clone on the surface, but it's actually far more like Ultima VII in an ARPG engine. Divinity: Original Sin continues in that vein. The world matters in this game, whether it be the towns that feel like they are actually functional, or the almost revolutionary way elemental damage interacts with objects and weather during fights. It's a great game and I would venture to guess D:OS 2 is probably going to be even better. It's not really fair to compare it to Pillars or Infinity Engine games, simply because it's turn-based combat is implemented far differently, as is the skill system. It's a great game from an isometric perspective, and probably the best RPG of the last few years (which is saying alot) but it won't automatically appeal to people who love real-time with pause.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 As a game i prefer D OS but for narrative I prefer PoE
    edited September 2016

The world matters in this game, whether it be the towns that feel like they are actually functional, or the almost revolutionary way elemental damage interacts with objects and weather during fights.

This alone is why DOS made my top five games of all time. Just the mechanics of the world and how it works together with characters and abilities just put a lot of RPG both old and new to shame. 'I still haven't even beaten it, last time I played it i got hooked and that wasn't even the EE that I go for free.

Wait, is PoE TBS or Turn Real with pause?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Pillars is turn-based with pause in the exact same way that Infinity Engine games are.
    TBS MASTER RACE!