Skip to content

I've tested it, and I think wizard slayer is actually quite good

unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
The class was done several horrible disservices originally. before the game was patched wiz spayer couldn't even drink healing potions. Before the fix pack which EE integrated, it didn't work properly at range. And for a very long time, I believed the documentation that said 10% (when it was actually 25%) arcane spell failure on hit.

so with this new information I built some test characters and tested the wizard slayer on them.

Well, the wiz slayer is still not terribly good at melee with it's slightly lower AC, and inability to drink and wear the things that keep it safe from crowd cntrol magic such as sleep and confusion, and his thac0 is going to suffer in the long run if he were to make up up with UAI HLA by dualing to thief. He can shoot things well enough, so he's got archery going for him. Surprisingly, the best kind of wiz slayer archer is one dualed to mage. Did you know that melfs minute metoers is a +5 throwing weapon that he can throw as if he had grand mastery? And then when he gets energy blades HLA, he can throw 20 of the discs with a +10 thac0, 9 times per round for a lot of damage and spell failure? He can't wear amulet of power, but he can wear robe of vecna.

Spell failure only partly affects triggers and contingencies. I had the difficulty slider on easiest, and kept hitting the mage with fists a lot. Even with 100% spell faiulure, 2/3 stored spells would succeed each time with only the one failing to cast. Game would probably be too easy if the wiz slayer could make epic level mages completely useless, but making it possible to fail 1/3 sequenced and contingent spells is certainly worth having a few less slots than the kensai/mage and a little less damage. It can make all the difference between you and your group getting wiped out or winning the fight.

Comments

• IglosnofIglosnof Member Posts: 119
    So I'm curious, how long does this cumulative 25% penalty lasts?
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2016
    half a minute. I need to test it more, but the expiration timers each seem to count down as their own effect. Meaning that 100% spell failure requires the wizard slayer to hit four times before the 30 seconds are up.
    Post edited by unavailable on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I could only play the WS using a mod (WS Rebalancing Mod). The vanilla one is too much underpowered.

And even with WSR I think that some restrictions are a little too much.

Anyway, the trick to play a WS is having lots of weapons with status immunity effects (like Lilacor or Spider's Bane). Combining this with MR and he can be a hell of a decoy to wizards.

I've played a WS in BGEE. Once I got the Cloak of Balduran everything became too easy. My main strategy was to let wizards unload their spell books in me while I killed the minions and fighters/archers.

IMHO any item that enhances magic resistance should be allowed to the WS. And I would add Potion of Clarity on top of that (as it simulates a priest spell - Chaotic Commands).

Potions of Explosions and Oils of Fiery Burning should be allowed too as they are alchemical, not magical.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It's alright. My bigger issue with it is less that it's underpowered and more of how unsatisfying it is because of the massive item restrictions. It makes things go from "oh, awesome loot!" to "great, more junk to pawn off".
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited September 2016
    That's the gist of it. Anything that can wear heavy armor, shields, and get weapon grandmastery/full attack per round progression is never going to be as terrible as say a pure thief in BG2. The drastic cut in equippable items is the major downside.

Lots of armor/weapons provide protection/immunity from status effects, btw.

From my experience, including mods, WS is a bit of a binary case, depening on setup: either it's close to useless (because you can't hit mages to begin with and once you can they're dead anyway) or it's ridiculously overpowered (locking down even liches within seconds).

Much of that has to do not with the WS itself, but with support components. For example, Fire Seeds will apply the penalty in an area of effect, and penetrate just about anything - meaning that as soon as you can hand them to your WS, any lich is effectively dead in three seconds flat. Mage fights become a non-issue, and since those are a major part of BG2's difficulty, the game becomes dramatically easier to beat.

However, once you introduce mods that change certain behaviors (like the aforementioned Fire Seeds) WS returns to obscurity. Once you no longer penetrate mage defenses at will, you're back to the whole if-I-can-hit-it-it-dies dilemma that is the core paradox behind the WS's lacking effectiveness.

There is hope, though. Why I have not yet had the time to test extensively, it does appear that Legacy of Bhaal mode may lead to a redemption, and make the WS a fairly balanced choice. Because of the large HP pools present in that mode, mages don't simply die the second their defenses drop. They have time to recover and rebuff, and remain dangerous even after a brief window of vulnerability. That in turn means a WS could step in and make sure that you really are slaying the wizard, as it were. Preliminary testing has been promising, and once my family leaves me alone again I might even get to complete it ;) I would certainly like to see a place for the WS and have it add some variety to LoB setups.

On one hand, the ToB casters are tough to take down due to contingencies and sequencers. On the other, they tend to have a few uninterruptible innates. both of these are doubly true for me. I am a returning player to BG, too advanced for unmodded BG, but there is so much I have to relearn. I am enjoying the experience however.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    It's true that scripts and contingencies are a factor, doubly so with certain mods. Luckily most of these are either defensive in nature (you can wait them out while the caster remains helpless under WS lock) or very predictable (like the ADHW on engaging many liches). Still, it's absolutely something to keep in mind when deciding on your party makeup.
    I was just testing the wizard slayer a bit in Bg EE and it seems to me it doesn't work well on clerics. They are still able to heal themselves and cast protection from evil at least...
    The class's description says that he excels at hunting down spellcasters of all kinds...
    Anyone has any info about this?
    edited September 2016
    Iglosnof said:

I was just testing the wizard slayer a bit in Bg EE and it seems to me it doesn't work well on clerics. They are still able to heal themselves and cast protection from evil at least...
    The class's description says that he excels at hunting down spellcasters of all kinds...

The kit is specifically titled "wizard" slayer. Meaning it disrupts arcane powers only, not divine, and certainly not innate. If you want to give clerics innate spell failure use the level 3 spell miscast magic, or the druids insect swarm, or throw some kind of poison and hope it succeeds. If you're running a mod that makes rogues use detect illusions skill there is nothing in game magical or otherwise that will stop that thief from breaking whatever illusion magic you're using. Wizard slayer won't stop on hit effects either, like the celestial fury katanas stun on hit. So it's good against liches, wizards, bards, dragons and irenicus, but I don't know how much of demon or beholder magic is innate.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

From my experience, including mods, WS is a bit of a binary case, depening on setup: either it's close to useless (because you can't hit mages to begin with and once you can they're dead anyway) or it's ridiculously overpowered (locking down even liches within seconds).

Much of that has to do not with the WS itself, but with support components. For example, Fire Seeds will apply the penalty in an area of effect, and penetrate just about anything - meaning that as soon as you can hand them to your WS, any lich is effectively dead in three seconds flat. Mage fights become a non-issue, and since those are a major part of BG2's difficulty, the game becomes dramatically easier to beat.

However, once you introduce mods that change certain behaviors (like the aforementioned Fire Seeds) WS returns to obscurity. Once you no longer penetrate mage defenses at will, you're back to the whole if-I-can-hit-it-it-dies dilemma that is the core paradox behind the WS's lacking effectiveness.

I completely agree with you about that.

There is hope, though. Why I have not yet had the time to test extensively, it does appear that Legacy of Bhaal mode may lead to a redemption, and make the WS a fairly balanced choice. Because of the large HP pools present in that mode, mages don't simply die the second their defenses drop. They have time to recover and rebuff, and remain dangerous even after a brief window of vulnerability. That in turn means a WS could step in and make sure that you really are slaying the wizard, as it were.

True, but also using a weapon like SNT or FoA has the same function, not using spell failure but spell disruption and somehow is more efficient to have a dedicated weapon than a dedicated toon.
    Iglosnof said:

I have played only few hours of EE and the enemy casters, not only the divine ones, was still casting in situations where they where not supposed to caste, like in a Cloudkill. I suppose that is not only a WS related problem. But is just a first impression, I have still to discover a lot of differences from the originals.
    Raduziel said:

I could only play the WS using a mod (WS Rebalancing Mod). The vanilla one is too much underpowered.

And even with WSR I think that some restrictions are a little too much.

Anyway, the trick to play a WS is having lots of weapons with status immunity effects (like Lilacor or Spider's Bane). Combining this with MR and he can be a hell of a decoy to wizards.

I've played a WS in BGEE. Once I got the Cloak of Balduran everything became too easy. My main strategy was to let wizards unload their spell books in me while I killed the minions and fighters/archers.

IMHO any item that enhances magic resistance should be allowed to the WS. And I would add Potion of Clarity on top of that (as it simulates a priest spell - Chaotic Commands).

Potions of Explosions and Oils of Fiery Burning should be allowed too as they are alchemical, not magical.

I disagree, for me the right balance was the original one, with only the mlee weapons applying the failure, you are a mage killer (spell failure + MR) and a more than decent Fighter, at least go near them to kill them, you have MR and a lot of items to equip to do it, think to that shield that make you immune to crow control spells and that belt who halves the magical damage that passes trough your MR. At range, maybe with the +1 APR bow, is a little too easy. But this is only a personal opinion. Not to mention that if you dual it to mage or thief he becomes a God, very early as mage and a lot later, when he gets UAI, as a thief.

Imo is really good even in vanilla single class, what he is supposed to do he does very well.
    The point, as @Lord_Tansheron told, is that depening on setup either it's close to useless or it's ridiculously overpowered.

True, but also using a weapon like SNT or FoA has the same function, not using spell failure but spell disruption and somehow is more efficient to have a dedicated weapon than a dedicated toon.

Definitely a concern, and something I plant to investigate more. One prime concern are liches, which are immune to poison iirc; and interrupting via damage/elemental damage only works to a degree in between protections (most of which are either very quick casts or contingencies). However, it may well turn out that you're right, and that a WS is superfluous; testing will tell. Eventually. I think I have some free time scheduled for 2018...

However, it may well turn out that you're right, and that a WS is superfluous; testing will tell. Eventually. I think I have some free time scheduled for 2018...

:smiley:

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,749
    edited September 2016
    Iglosnof said:

I was just testing the wizard slayer a bit in Bg EE and it seems to me it doesn't work well on clerics.

Wizard slayer's abilities work only towards arcane spells.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    I've been playing around with a Wizard Slayer 13/ Thief dual exclusively using darts as a priority weapon. Mainly for UAI. I held onto my profs until I regained my fighter levels (so I was a bit weak during a questline without many arcane casters)

From experience (in vanilla), He completely trivialises almost any fight with a wizard with a single dart of stunning/wounding. I haven't played through SoA/ToB much with him yet. But with Cloak of Stars + Crimson Dart there isn't really any moment I cannot handle any particular encounter (storing darts +5 in ammobelt). And as with any Wizard Slayer Thief, the power-spike with UAI, getting access to Archer Eyes is pretty swell. (And Wizard Scrolls :) )

I might try the Wizard Slayer / Mage at somepoint (for energy blades)
    I'm thinking about trying a Thief -> Wizard Slayer (EEKeepered because of engine limitations).

My main focus as a Thief would be Set Traps and Detect Illusions.

Any thoughts and tips?

PS: I know that WS -> Thief is best.
    Raduziel said:

PS: I know that WS -> Thief is best.

Actually, in the unmodded game I'd say WS->Druid is the best, due the silliness that is Fire Seeds. Don't really need any other gear, plus you get Iron Skins for protection.

If you want to Thief->WS, it doesn't really change much from how you'd play a single-class WS, imo. None of the thief skills have any particular interaction with WS, but of course they're useful on their own as always. The most defining factor of the combo will still be the WS, and you won't really do things much differently.
    @Lord_Tansheron As getting 100 in detect illusions and a decent score in set traps , maybe like 70-80, does not require much levels and xp the cost of dualing is only to loose some hp.
    At the end you get a wizard slayer with detect illusions, very powerful, some traps and a backstabbing multiplyer that can be useful even if he hes not points in hide in shadows, at the cost of a potion or a low level mage spell. 3x dualing at 7 that is enough for set traps and illusions, and 4x if you wait until lev 9 (150 detect illusions in this case). And fully functional very early, almost no down time.
    He will retain the ws limitations on equipping items, but the opposite dual, ws->thief, that is better, has some disadvantages. Dualing at 9 he loose 1/2 Apr and at 13 takes forever, then you have to reach 3Mxp on the thief class to have UAI.

My opinion is that having rogue hp, at least for the first 7 levels combined with item limitations is a steep price to pay. If the char is mainly used ranged the problem is not so heavy, he will have +2 apr and GM dmg bonus, when he hits ws lev13, maybe with GM in slings and a strength enhancing item, he will be very effective. When he gets GWW even better, I did not the calculations but I suppose something like 300 dpr ranged. He will have also a good MR in the end.

@Raduziel Give it a try. A fully functional ws with detect illusions, some traps and some backstabbing potential, that brings also 25% spell failure, with very little down time, and a really good ranged potential is really interesting.
    But be careful when you send him in mlee, he will lack some AC due to item limitation and he will have the hp of a rogue (but maybe on this I am biased as I never activate the option of rolling the max hp leveling up, so my toons have maybe 30% less hp on average).

@gorgonzola all true and stuff, but completely irrelevant to it being a WS. Would be the exact same line of argument for any other Fighter kit. It being a WS specifically has basically nothing to do with any choice you make, as you'd make the same choices for any plain ol' Fighter.
    True, but there are a couple of good reasons to don't do it on other fighters and do it with WS.

1---the other fighter probably want to do some good mlee damage, loosing hp is a problem and when he detects illusions he is not fighting until the invisibility is dispelled. Having some traps and some backstabbing potential is not enough to compensate the lower hp.
    2---the ws is mainly a mage killer, dispelling invisibility is a real bonus for him as he can now counter one of the other mage defenses, the mages who use mislead and pi are no longer a problem. Also a backstab, that apply 25% casting failure, is more useful for a dedicated antimage. And his antimage function, when he is not backstabbing, is better done ranged. He can easily switch from the +1 apr bow, for 100% casting failure/round, to sling with GM when dpr is needed. There is synergy in it, the lost hp is not a big problem and he gains a couple of useful things that make him an even better antimage.
    edited September 2016
    I see only two problems in this build TBH:

The loss of exceptional strength and fewer HP (d6 and no +4 due to Constitution).

But I'll give it a try after my Enchanter run.

Another thing: it's better to use several weapons or go GM in one? I see darts (stunning/wounding), slings (the awesome Everard's), shortbows (Tuigan) and longswords (Namarra/Daystar/Equalizer) as a potential. If the GM rote what weapon?

PS: it will be a full saga run.
    edited September 2016
    Raduziel said:

The loss of exceptional strength and fewer HP (d6 and no +4 due to Constitution).

the fewer hp is the reason why I suggest to use him mainly ranged.
    about the loss of exceptional strength is only a problem if you don't have a mage to cast you the strength spell that gives you 18750 and lasts a long time.
    you can not use the str gauntlets but (if I am not wrong) you can use girdles, and the exceptional strength is anyway lost as sun that you use the tome, I think that you can live with a normal 18 until then.
    Raduziel said:

Another thing: it's better to use several weapons or go GM in one? I see darts (stunning/wounding), slings (the awesome Everard's), shortbows (Tuigan) and longswords (Namarra/Daystar/Equalizer) as a potential. If the GM rote what weapon?

as I told ranged is better (I am assuming that you don't play solo) and as the slings get str bonus damage (one with normal bullets, all them with enchanted ones) I will put gm on that weapon, even more damage and +1/2 apr more, that is important as the sling has the better damage potential x hit but only 1apr.
    And late game a sling with gww, str damage and gm damage is devastating.
    darts are good as apr, but not as dmg, proficiency or maybe specialization is fine, as you would probably hit often anyway and the goal is apply the spell failure.
    Tugian is a good alternative to darts and later Gesen loaded with regular ammunition stack his native damage with the one from the arrow, at lev 13 and with GM you get 5 apr with it, so from that moment is as good as a sling, at least until you can use the sling with gww.
    as I don't suggest to go mlee often with that build specialization with mlee weapons can be enough, and long swords are good weapons from the initial game to the final battle.

If you plan to start from bg1 I suggest to dual at lev 4 or, you get 100 in detect illusions and in the end you have better hp as you get the fighter roll for the remaining levels. Some traps and a backstab that probably you will not use so often are not so important. Dualing at 7 starting in bg1 takes forever. Or eventually play the first game as a thief and dual in SoA. if you include also sod is different, but since I don't want to be spoiled about that game until I will try it I can not tel you more about it.

Edit: as Gesen is a +4 bow it works also with enemies that darts and bullets can not touch or the few ones that use mantle.

Iglosnof said:

I was just testing the wizard slayer a bit in Bg EE and it seems to me it doesn't work well on clerics.

Wizard slayer's abilities work only towards arcane spells.
    The name certainly implies that, however the class description states that the wizard slayer excels at hunting and combating spell casters of all kinds. So it is a bit misleading :)
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    The Wizard Slayer definitely makes some of the early wizard encounters during BG1 a lot easier. The mage at the Friendly Arm Inn and Silke come to mind. I went with Grandmastery in Daggers so that I could have a throwing weapon (with +strength bonus). Not to mention a dagger will likely attack first against a spellcaster in melee, and it is really important to get those attacks in before the mage can cast. And lastly, the Dagger of Venom is one of the best weapons in the original game.

Now, with your pips in daggers you could easily dual to Thief and get the UAI later on to wear the Human Flesh Armor +5 and boost your magic resistance, as well as wear any other magic resistance items you want. Some forgo the daggers and put points in two-handed swords for Carsomyr, but it takes time to pay off and is a bit cheesy.
    edited October 2016
    Maybe is not on topic, but I find interesting how the not EE implemented the throwing weapons.
    For the BG2 daggers there was the limited wish quest one with low enchantment and STR damage, and the Underdark one with elemental DMG added, that hits as +3, but no STR damage.
    A kensai could use something to fight ranged, and as they are functionally bastard swords with +1APR, they was still a good choice, but with limitations. Now a kensai with a STR belt is almost as good as an archer, on every enemy that requires +3 or less, thing that, as they are supposed to be prevented to use ranged weapons, looks silly.
    The sense of the class, no ranged weapons and no armor, braciers and shield, is a build that can do amazing mlee DMG, at the price of having few protection:
    "This class is also known as the "Sword Saint", and consists of a warrior who has been specially trained to be one with his sword. They are deadly, fast and trained to fight without encumbrance".

Edit: And in not EE is not possible to use them mlee equipping an of hand weapon, now is possible, reaching 5 APR with a lev7 Fighter with specialization. 2 base + 1/2 lev7 + 1/2 specialization +2 DW offhand a +1APR weapon =5APR, in not EE, even with lev 13 and GM, a kensai could not go over 4APR. So a big mlee boost for a kensai that chose to prioritize GM on an other weapon and less than 13 dualed kensages. Almost as good as archers ranged and among the best mlee, potentially with 10APR improved hasted from the very moment that they complete the dual or 6APR at lev7 for single class.
    The WS duals have a similar boost compared to not EE ones.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on