Skip to content

"no voice" option for PC

I am so excited about BG:EE that I can literally not fall asleep. So let me mention one thing that has been on my mind:

I would like to request an option to have the PC have NO voice at all. I appreciate the many awesome voice packs included in BG, but there is a proud tradition of silent and nameless CRPG heroes, and in my imagination my PC always sounds just a bit different from any available voice pack. I would be delighted if a silent PC were an option in BG:EE.

Thank you, and I apologize if this has been discussed or if the option already exists (I am no BG expert... yet).

I just cannot express my appreciation for the work Beamdog is doing here. You guys are pioneers and heroes to me. Good luck, I hope you all make tons of money off this project.

Comments

• I think its easy to make a soundset with no sounds, maby ask for it in the modding forums
  • dvalin_marveldvalin_marvel Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I guess what will be one option.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There are several ways of accomplishing this. You can start a PC with any soundset and then for example either edit the save file to remove the references to the soundfiles, or rename/delete the soundfiles themselves to mute the character. But obviously a premade quiet soundset would require the least end-user effort.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Sure, why not. If none of avalible voice sets doesn't fit your character, there should be *possibility* to not picking voice at all. And it should be accomplished in character creation, not messing up with save files.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Aye, just saying that if he really wants it, it can be readily accomplished with the tools currently available.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    edited November 2012
    @dvalin_marcel it's a well documented process to record your own soundfiles. Record your sounds in mono, at 16-Bit 22Khz. Here are the soundfiles you should create:

XXXXXXXa.wav : Battlecry
    XXXXXXXb.wav : Becoming leader
    XXXXXXXc.wav : Tired
    XXXXXXX.wav : Bored
    XXXXXXXe.wav : Badly wounded
    XXXXXXXf.wav : Select 1
    XXXXXXXg.wav : Select 2
    XXXXXXXh.wav : Select 3
    XXXXXXXi.wav : Action confirmed 1
    XXXXXXXj.wav : Action confirmed 2
    XXXXXXXk.wav : Action confirmed 3
    XXXXXXXl.wav : Hit
    XXXXXXXm.wav : Near death
    XXXXXXXn.wav : In a forest
    XXXXXXXo.wav : In a city
    XXXXXXXp.wav : In a dungeon
    XXXXXXXq.wav : Day
    XXXXXXXr.wav : Night
    XXXXXXXs.wav : Seldom select 1
    XXXXXXXt.wav : Seldom select 2
    XXXXXXXu.wav : Seldom select 3
    XXXXXXXv.wav : Seldom select 4
    XXXXXXXw.wav : Party member dies

X stands for a random name that will be shown as the name of this soundset ingame. Put the files into the "Sound" folder where Baldurs Gate is installed. Now you can select this new soundset at creation time.

If you want a silent character, just record silence (with microphone not attached) and copy it for every file.

P.S.: this is of course the process for the original Baldurs Gate 1. BG2 will differ slightly and BG:EE will use .ogg format instead of .wav and possibly have different quality settings.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    AND NAME HIM GORDON FREEMAN!

Sorry, but that required capslock.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    All this being said, you might be interested in some of the new voice sets, once you hear them. Some of them are quite nice.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited November 2012
    I had no problems with the male voice sets in BG1. I thought both male 1 and 2 were quite suitable for me. But I thought the male voice sets in BG2 sucked. I thought none of them suited me, male 2 was like the best of the bad. I ended up copying the voice sets from BG1 over to the BG2 folder, but since BG2 added a lot of different sounds for more situations, I'd miss out on a lot of voicing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    You could then play like a silent monk type character. Which would be wicked.
    elminster said:

But then that wouldn't really work because you still have dialogue options, which assumes you still speak.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Awong124 said:

elminster said:

But then that wouldn't really work because you still have dialogue options, which assumes you still speak.
    Good point.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Awong124 said:

elminster said:

...Drow sign language, maybe?

I dunno; I'm just tossing around ideas, here. :)
    Aosaw said:

Awong124 said:

elminster said:

...Drow sign language, maybe?

I dunno; I'm just tossing around ideas, here. :)
    Or I suppose you could do this:

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    But charname would need a voice for casting bhaalpowers and spells.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Awong124 said:

elminster said:

Telepathy? You're a godchild monk. If you don't have mental powers, nobody has them :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Kirkor said:

AND NAME HIM GORDON FREEMAN!Sorry, but that required capslock.

Actually, it should be his brother, John Freeman for Full Life Consequences.

"I shot the Cop using the cop's GUN, by grabing it from his pokets and then doing a backlift , landing back on my motorcycle and shotting the COP, all that in a split second..."

• MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    Well, I like to hear my characters say something while I poke at them, but I understand the reasoning behind this request, so I think it would be nice to add this feature.

I don't know if it would require a lot more work, but since a half second of silent recording could do the trick and other voicesets are already in use, I think it wouldn't be difficult to implement.