Skip to content

Grand Mastery - Fighter and subkit

Good Morning,

I noticed today on a couple of new characters that i tried to create in BG2EE that i cannot go above 4 pips in weapon proficiency. I specifically tried to create a berzerker with GM in Quarterstaff (or any weapon )and was limited to 4 pips. I then restarted and tried a straight fighter and met the same result.

I did this with a Human Berzerker True Neutral (intending to dual to druid in the future).

Steam version of BG2EE 2.3.67.3.

I googled and searched but did not find this specific issue, most other issues were limited to BG1 or user error where the person was creating a paladin or ranger and not a fighter.

Are others having the same problem in this version of the game? or is this now intended.

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2016
    IIRC the amount of pips you put in a weapon is limited by your level.
  • spellbinderspellbinder Member Posts: 2
    Your right, once i achieved 9th level i was able to put in the last pip.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    All true, but a single class fighter gets 4 pips at lev 1 than an other pip every 3 levels starting from lev3 (the initial ones are regarded as obtained at lev 0).
    So a character created in SoA should have 6 points at creation and get the 7th at lev 9.
    Afaik is possible to give GM to a kitted or unkitted fighter at creation, if the kit does not prevents GM in that weapon (like kensai and long bow case). And he will have an other pip to assign to something other.

I guess that @spellbinder's fighter had 2 pips assigned to other at the creation, so only 4 was left.
    Thanks, your explanation seems to be the correct one.

This mean also that lev 7 and 8 dual from fighters are quite nerfed, as they can not reach GM until the first pip gained after dualing, lev 12 for mages. And with lev 7 duals in a full party that don't use power leveling strategies is a difference of 690k XP, some chap 2 quests, before having that 1/2APR more.

Good to know it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited September 2016
    I agree. Ranting about how the game is toward as one think that it should be has no sense at all.
    But I was referring to not EE, where if I remember well, a char created in SoA can start with GM.
    I should have worded it like quite nerfed compared to the not EE equivalent dual.

And still dualing at 7, with very short downtime, but a long time before obtaining GM, can in EE be less beneficial than dualing at 9, with a longer but very manageable downtime, but GM immediately after it.