Skip to content

Retreat from the mines?

I am a first time player of BG:EE

I have entered the mine with my party and have been grinding through the monsters there, and come out on the other side. Only Jaheira and Imoen have levelled up to level 2. I meet the party of the Iron throne there I and cannot win that fight.

Should I retreat to Nashkil and follow side quests until I get stronger, or is this a boss fight that I will have to win one way or another now?

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    You said that you came out the other side. If that means that you used the exit from the bottom of the mines, then you can also walk back through the mines and leave where you first entered. That way you can avoid that nasty battle until later.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Another point: That battle is completely avoidable if you head straight west out of the lower mines exit. It makes roleplaying sense to do so - you need to return to Nashkel to report to the mayor, and Nashkel is due west of the mines exit.

In fact, if you don't lawnmower every map, you could theoretically miss the amazons and never even know they're there on the north side of that map.

When I'm doing a meta-played run, which is most of them since you can't forget what you already know, I always wait until I have a Web spell before I tackle that battle. Web makes it relatively easy, and there's a Web scroll in Mulahey's chest. It does require Dynaheir or your PC mage at level three, though. I usually rescue Dynaheir first, and she usually hits level three for me by the end of the mines.

I don't rush to the mines. Jaheira is satisfied just by talking to the mayor of Nashkel, and she will go along with rescuing Dynaheir for Minsc without complaint, so there's plenty that can be done to get a mage to level 3 before or during the Nashkel mines.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The sleep spell is always and ever your friend.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Or if you can afford the Necklace of Missiles from Nashkel Carnival store, that is a instant win for most group encounters in the wilderness. It kills instantly the weaker enemy mages and the few spellcasters that are still alive have their spells disrupted.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Cast Remove Fear and Bless, use 2 level 2 fighter-types with normal weapons to take down Mulahey assuming the targeted fighter is wearing the Ankheg armor from Nashkel. Use the Necklace of Missiles (from Carnival magical items tent), aim above the Skeletons to avoid damaging party members. Talk 2 when Mulahey asks for Mercy to avoid having to fight a 2nd round of summoned skeletons. Optionally use the Shield Amulet in the Mines on your 1st front-liner. Have fun! I usually backtrack to Emerson and then directly to Nashkel to finalize the quest after clearing the Mines.